Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 04:43AM

It's been pointed out several times on this forum that LDS Corp's future growth lies in recruitment of members in/from 3rd world countries (it also appears that LDS Corp's current CEO is now on a world-wide recruitment drive).

In an article about Chick-Fil-A, it looks like other such organizations are experiencing similar factors.

Comparing two of these entities, however, the Catholic church - for example - has an enormous head start in that they don't have the same history of denying full membership to people of color.

From the article:

“Even as the U.S. and Europe see the growth of atheism and agnosticism, religious faith in general and Christianity in particular continue to explode in parts of the world that aren’t as white. That’s why the Vatican, for example, sees developing nations as the future of the church. And around the globe, the people most likely to be Christians are women of color.“

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-ugly-coded-critique-of-chick-fil-as-christianity/ar-AAwg9Dg?ocid=spartandhp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 06:10AM

Probably, due to what Christians call "the great commission"
IE Jesus telling his followers to spread the word.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 09:15AM

Or...probably due to religion appealing most to the uneducated and the poor, groups to be found in abundance in "3rd world countries."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 11:09AM

Regarding 3rd World, otherwise unevangelized places, the traditional Protestant model is for missionaries to reach a place and live with them for anywhere from five to twenty or thirty years. During that time, they will learn the language and local customs, and develop personal relationships, and commence proselytizing and church services. When it works well, they'll develop a local congregation with indigenous leaders who can manage the church themselves. The missionaries then move on to another locale.

Many times missionaries have created a written language for such peoples, so they can have Bibles they can read. (Tyndale Translators is one such group.) The goal is to win souls, not expand a Western denomination.

A situation I'm familiar with is the north coast of Papua New Guinea, where Baptist missionaries have started vibrant local congregations. These, in turn, send out their own missionaries to other villages, and repeat the process. Vicious, if small, tribal wars and conflicts which have been ignored by the national government have been terminated.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 01:02PM

Notice I said "most," not "only" :)

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 10:40AM

Catholics and some other denominations don't place such a heavy emphasis on proselytization as the Baptists and Methodists (and Mormons).

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 02:22PM

I think maybe some Christian churches go into developing countries to actually try to help people, not just preach to them. Or maybe even a combination of real service and preaching.

I doubt any of those other religions are like the LD$ church leadership who go to a developing country specifically to ask people for money.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 02:32PM

When I hear about religious friends doing mission trips to 3rd world areas it is typically to build homes, wells, and sight-see. I don't think I know anyone personally who proselytizes for another christian denomination in 3rd world countries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.