Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:19PM

I can't stand this choir at all! They just act like oh we aren't a cult and we will hide what this so called church does! They have so many people come and perform! Like the Marine Corps band and many others, but they are hiding what their cult really does

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:21PM

Have you every heard them perform in person?

I have

Beautiful choir

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:31PM

I liked them when I was a TBM. They are actually musically very good. But I now loathe what they stand for. They were created at least partly to endear the hearts of "gentiles" to Mormons, to help soften the memories of Mormon offenses in the past. Softening of hearts brings converts and tithing dollars.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 10:35AM

Oh very stated...same. Used to love them, but now I hate them because they are used to con people to pay tithing. I could fool people into buying beach front property in the South Pole if I had a great choir and an army of people saying, "yes it's true...it's true...there is a hidden oasis in the south pole that no one knows about, but it's a sunny paradise warmed by geothermal energy. God has prepared this for you. Listen to the music...don't you feel good" I guarantee you that I could fool people into buying this s***. Thus it is w/ Mormonism.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:36PM

Pre-Mormonism...I loved them. For instance, one of my fav's was "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.." and many others.

Post Mormonims..I can't stand them because I see that the theatrics and the drama are all part of the "heartsale" that the church specializes in - and it makes me sick.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:44PM

I enjoy them best when I am stopped at a railroad crossing with the windows down. I think hate is a very strong word, but I don't particularly care for the way their music is arranged. Boring.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:46PM

No.
I just ignore them.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:57PM

Ok,

Do people really think that people convert to the Mormonism because of MoTab?!?!?! I mean, seriously.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 07:59PM

I had heard that's why Gladys Knight converted. And I think her presence probably makes it easier to convert other african americans.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 07:30PM

I remember when J. Spencer Cornwall (1935–57) was conducting the choir they had a stellar, well earned, reputation. Starting about 1972 it plummeted to the abysmal depths it now inhabits. It is a shame.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:18PM

Musically, no.
Visually, yes.

Too much matching-ness.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:18PM

No, not at all. They're good for what they do—providing faith inspiring music for General Conference. I know several members; and in another life, I knew Mack Wilberg when he had hair. The Baritone’s Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 08:19PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:20PM

For amusement, try playing their recordings backwards and listen for hidden satanic messages.

Posted by: Outside observer ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:24PM

In a truly well-trained choir, each vocal part sounds like a single voice. MoTab just sounds like a bunch of people singing casually.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:32PM

Yes, hate 'em. They through me off as a kid thinking it was a righteous church because of that choir. "How can we be a cult with this singing?" the mormons think to themselves. Anything they do my father worships.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:37PM

and I'm a choir geek! Besides lacking showmanship and flair, I've noticed they don't enunciate. I can't sing along unless I already know the words. They're kind of the Elton John of boring music.

Munchymomom thinks it's awesome to be in their presence, tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 08:37PM by munchybotazv2.

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 09:25PM

I would rather listen to John Philip Susa, I can't stand Mormon hymns at all! They are trying so hard to act like they are Christian but are not! It is all about bragging it is

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 09:54PM

OK, maybe I'm in a minority here, but I love the music of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

In fact, the highlight of my 50 something years of Mo-dumb (possibly the ONLY good thing about it) was being able to sit out on Temple Hill at Nauvoo, IL one very hot July afternoon, and listen to the choir sing on the hill top. It was during the Nauvoo temple dedication weekend, and they filmed it for Music and the Spoken Word. But I got to see and hear them in person, and for somebody who lives in the southeast (not Happy Valley), it was a very special treat.

I don't have to reject everything Mo-dumb, just because TSCC is a fraud.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:17PM

"Deep River" & "Columbia, Gem of the Ocean" are their best, imho...

Total Smaltz when they do religious music, let alone LDS Hymns.

Posted by: exminnion ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:34PM

Haw-haw! I'm remembering the time the MoTab attempted a "spiritual" from the Deep South. It was complete with dah po' folks grammar, swaying, and hand-clapping. What a mis-fit that was!

To me, it sounds "muddy."

There are too many old lungs gasping for breath. It must stink up there on the stand.

I'm used to smaller choral groups, and arrangements with more movement within the parts. I used to sing second-soprano in my high school and college choirs, and in a triple-trio group at Christmastime.

I've been forever spoiled by opera choirs! There is no comparison!

What offends me more than their singing, is their arrogant coining of the name "America's Choir." Again--the smug superiority of Mormons carried to the extreme of obnoxiousness.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:38PM

I'm not a fan; no matter what they sing, they sound too dirge-ish.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 10:49AM

MoTab just isn't my kind of music. The choir is talented but I just don't like the music. It's something grandma would listen to. I would rather listen to reggae or something that makes me think of sandy beaches and dark blue water.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.