Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 04:29PM

Under reported in US news last week was the government of Austria exercising a religious law that requires Muslim organizations to express a positive fundamental towards the Austrian sate. The law also bans foreign funding of religious organizations. As a result seven mosques were ordered closed and around 60 foreign Imams deported. The imams were mostly from Turkey.

It is a controversial law but I wonder how it might affect the LDS Church which presumably sends some funding to members in Austria...that is if they have members there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 04:30PM

I note a missing word...view...

Posted by: European_ ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 07:51PM

I've got a feeling no one in Austria will bother applying this law against the LDS, as they're too small for the authorities to even notice, let alone worry about. We all know who the law is aimed at.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 08:50PM

The Austrian law is based on right wing movements to limit the influence of Islam in the country. However Switzerland and to a lesser extent other countries in Europe have passed laws that limit the abilities of cults like the Mormons, JWs, and Scientologists to proselyte and collect monies from recruits. I think that is also a trend and those laws may become more restrictive in Scandinavian countries.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 08:26PM

Is this a trend that is likely to grow in Europe? Is Islam, at least Islam to its ultimate state, seen as subversive to the established European order?

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 09:19PM

According to the Austrian Embassy website Mormons are one of the 13 recognized religions allowed to operate as an enity and possess real estate and have been for decades.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:34PM

These Turkey funded mosques and imams are an issue in a number of European countries. They have been known to inform on German citizens of Turkish descent to the Turkish government. Political activity and intimidation by the Turkish government in democratic countries of Western Europe is a very big concern, especially as Turkey becomes more dictatorial.

Austria is governed by a conservative government allied with a far right party. Europe has many concerns about where Austria is headed as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 10:35PM by nevermojohn.

Posted by: kentuckycrimson ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:06PM

I served in the Austria Vienna Mission from 1985-87. Got so tired of hearing "Ich habe keine Zeit" ("I have no time") while there.

GREAT country, people, and culture, except I grew really tired of eating pork for the main meat. For fish: Carp. Yes, carp.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:35PM

They were being so polite, all things considered.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:03AM

I am in Germany and tired of pork... but I love living here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.