Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 07:55PM

I would rather visit a Catholic church than Mormon! Mormon churches are like going to a funeral! Boring music " bragging, people glaring at you in front of the Mormon church " no crosses or anything " my great great grandparents were Catholic, I am not

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 15, 2018 07:56PM

I said the hail Mary once with missionaries and got no that is not a prayer! ! You must stay a prayer like we do. The Catholic mass is the same! Do Mormons look down on the Catholics?

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 08:06PM

Crazy horse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I said the hail Mary once with missionaries and
> got no that is not a prayer! ! You must stay a
> prayer like we do. The Catholic mass is the same!
> Do Mormons look down on the Catholics?

Yes! They think they are the weird ones.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 08:47PM

Some Mormons look down on everybody. Even other Mormons.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 07:10PM

My mother (born 1926) taught us that the Catholic church was the whore of babylon referred to in Revelation. It was widely taught until the 1980s.

Even Bruce McKonkie (apostle) taught it in his book Mormon Doctrine before they took it out. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_and_abominable_church, the last section.

Date: June 15, 2018 08:28PM

Mormons are haha, they have secret temple rites

Date: June 15, 2018 08:31PM

Crazy horse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons are haha, they have secret temple rites

I agree the morms are weird. Most people I know think the Catholics are weird, because of the "blood" factor. Whatever.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 08:37PM

Catholics do more charitable work and outreach in their communities.

More down to earth. The meetings are downright boring though. They put me to sleep the few times I tried going.

Date: June 15, 2018 08:46PM

I have thought of going just to check it out. Does it matter which location you go to? Do you just show up? Is the dress code anything like what the morms have?

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 08:51PM

Catholics dress casually except on Christmas and Easter.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 09:39PM

Yeah, it's fairly casual for regular masses.

Not sure if it matters which parish you go to. Some may be younger neighborhoods. Some are older. It may be worthwhile to check some out.

Where I've lived the past 30 years Catholics are the predominant religion. And still I haven't really gotten caught up in it. Most of my neighbors are Catholics. They're very easy going and good neighbors. They're decent people.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 09:40PM

Josephina is correct. In addition, you can go to any Catholic church you wish and you will be welcome. Furthermore, Catholic priests don't send out their minions to your house to kidnap your children and take them to Mass, as some of the stories I've read say that some Mormon bishops do.

While I consider myself to be no longer Roman Catholic (I was raised in the religion), I can assure you that for all of its faults, the Roman Catholic church is a much better church by a mile than the LDS one.

Date: June 15, 2018 09:36PM

Get ready for a lot of kneeling and don't drink the eucrurist, I did and got you must be Catholic "people won't be friendly before mass starts" it is boring and I liked it better than the Mormon funeral thing they did.

Date: June 15, 2018 09:38PM

I wore pants and no one cared, the priests and choir kids walk in i think, I visited a Catholic church and even took Rica to be Catholic

Date: June 17, 2018 12:41AM

It is but Mormon church is a lot more! I feel like I am going to a funeral when I go to a Mormon church

Date: June 15, 2018 10:28PM

And it is pretty in Catholic churches! Lots of statues and paintings, Mormon churches look like a funeral home to me! And Mormon paintings I dont like!

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 10:37PM

Dad's side of my family were Irish Catholics. Some were fanatical about it. Corned beef and cabbage on Sunday and Bishop Sheen on TV at 5:00.
Most of my aunts and uncles eventually went inactive but never gave up some of the traditions

Back then you could donate to the IRA through some parish members,

Too many issues for me to ever take it seriously but they do a lot of good just like most churches. Just don't get divorced, marry outside the faith, support Protestants, attend another church (clergy are forbidden to do so. Back in the sixties they were still doing indulgences.

BUT a Father from a nearby parish gave a couple of fireside talks at our ward.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 01:39AM

Anyone can attend a Catholic mass. Business casual dress would work just fine. There is a lot of sitting, standing, and kneeling. People will be polite but not effusive (Catholicism is great for introverts.) Some people love the mass and others find it boring. A number of Catholic churches have historic interest and are visually interesting to look at.

In a Catholic congregation you get to know people over time, just like any other church. The members tend to be good people who have a "we're all in this together" attitude. They won't be judgmental. Priests vary -- some are warm and jovial and some are distant. Catholicism is a "big tent" religion, so you will find all kinds there.

I left the Catholic church due to disagreements with policy, but it works for many people.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 12:10PM

The only thing about a Catholic church is that Communion is only for Catholics. My grandparents were very much Irish Catholics, so family weddings, baptisms, and funerals were held at a Catholic church. My dad and uncles pretty much quit going to mass after they left home, and we grandchildren weren't raised in the church. In fact, the only reason my brother was baptized was that he almost died from pneumonia as a baby. My youngest cousin was a micropreemie, so he was also baptized "just in case." He was one of the few that survived being born so early in the 80's, but he was developmentally disabled as a result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 12:11PM by doyle18.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 12:54PM

I just love these out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire threads.

Date: June 16, 2018 01:05PM

Totally. :P

I am not rushing out to join. It was just a thought I was flirting with. I seriously doubt I am going to continue with any religious group.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 10:35PM

My mom had many Catholics in her family and then I married one. Never cared for the mass. Thought it was silly and boring.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 02:12AM

Converting to Catholicism was the best thing I ever did. I love nearly every part of it except that they don't know how to handle LGBTs. But it beats the hell out of the Morg anyday. Their god is a lot more easygoing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.