Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:39AM

Last spring I graduated from college and took a job at a group home like setting for troubled kids. Since July of last year I have been living and working with teenage girls. I have 8 girls, ages 12-16. Some of them are extremely troubled and behavior-challenged.

I initially applied to work with high school boys, but was told they didn't have any openings. For the past few months I have been trying to get into the boys' community b/c living with teen girls has been a nightmare.

Today I was given the news that on June 19th I will move over into the boys' community!! I will be floating among younger boys for the summer, but hopefully will get placed in a high school boys' home before too long!

This is amazing news, and probably means I will be able to stay at my job longer than I would if they refused to move me. Bottom line? Lily is having a great day!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRom ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:40AM

Woo hoo! And more importantly, you're doing something you enjoy.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:41AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:41AM

I hope the boys are less of a nightmare -- but challenging kids are challenging kids. :)

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:43AM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:58AM

Wow... I admire you for taking on that job! I hope it all works out beautifully!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:03AM

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:07AM

Yay!! I always worked with boys/men. For some reason I am better and more effective. ( plus the noise is less shrill )
Ypu're gonna love it, eventually.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:13AM

Challenging kids are challenging kids- and I know that.

BUT- girls are so cruel and carry grudges like boys just don't. Boys get angry, let it out, and move on. Girls will bring stuff up months later to use against you during your review. (Just had it happen, actually!) Plus, boys are just different. No one on campus disputes that.

There is also a HUGE difference in leadership styles between the administration in the girls' community vs boys'. Let me put it this way: in the year that I have been here, 25+ people have quit in the girls' community. THREE have quit from the boys. That says A LOT about the working conditions, stress level, etc.

I'm very excited, but have a lot of packing/planning to do!!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:16AM

And kudos to you for being willing to work with kids with issues. There are so many of them nowadays and too often they're written off by everyone. :D

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 01:09PM

Some of it is Boys are more likely to accept no after an innital exchange. Girls have had it re-enforced that maybe they can get their way if they keep trying.
My hat's off to people who work with girls long term. To me it's hard!

Once boys ifrgure out you mean what you say, are fair and consistant, it's not too bad.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:17AM

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:25AM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 01:28PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 01:32PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.