Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 11:32PM

Charge: Criminal trespassing on temple property.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2018 11:35PM by auntsukey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 11:38PM

Source?

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:22PM

The arrest story MAY BE FAKE!

Look closer at the video. Where was he arrested? This report implies Salt Lake County.......but that looks more like the Ogden temple, it cannot be the SL temple, and doesn't look like any of the three others in that county.

Plus, Mike does monologues in front of the temples in Ogden, Logan, Brigham City, and Bountiful. Common denominator? They're all in northern Utah. None are in Salt Lake county, where he was "arrested". The brief clip of him being arrested is definitely not the Salt Lake temple, because of the parking lot, the building looks like Ogden.

That clip cuts off suddenly when he's told to get up; no evidence of police officers or handcuffs are shown. For all we know, Preston could just as well be an actor, in on the whole thing.

And what's with the Chrome-A-Key?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrCSoaMQunk

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 11:39PM

He should have been civil... Civil trespassing hasn't nearly the onus possessed by criminal trespassing!

I predict that if much is made of this, the church will be the loser.

Date: June 29, 2018 11:41PM

Where is the source of this information? Is there a news article, etc?

Date: June 29, 2018 11:45PM

I haven't the slightest clue! I'm just here to ride the waves...

ETA: NewNameNoah's FB page talks about his arrest, per Saucie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2018 11:48PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 11:52PM

I can confirm. He has a post on the arrest.
NewNameNoah on Facebook.. info is public.. posted about an hour ago.. which would be about 8 or 9 p.m. UT time, I think...

Posted under his name: Mike Norton

..... I was finally caught on temple property and arrested today for trespassing. I literally just got out of the Salt Lake County jail. I’m heading directly to Temple Square as I type this (my right hand man, Larry Greenwood, is driving) to finish the video I promised ya’ll today. I will NOT be breaking any more laws today, I promise. If anyone wants to send a few bucks to help me pay the inevitable fines that will be coming my way, I would appreciate it.

He posted a screen shot of his arrest info.

Bit of humor. Under Alias it says: NewNameNoah! :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2018 11:55PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:06AM

Facebook... look it up.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:38AM

I saw it on Reddit too. He is asking for money to pay his fine.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:41AM

Was he caught filming or caught just being on property?

Posted by: helimsarmy ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:44AM

why pay off his fines , he was banned from the site and was considered trespassing. his choice and now I got pay off his fines????

Date: June 30, 2018 12:54AM

That was on Reddit. He can pay his own fines as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:28AM

He’s being persecuted for his beliefs.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 05:29AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:29AM

Good one ! *LOL*

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 05:03AM

Any donations toward his fine (unlike tithing for LDSers) would
be purely voluntary. You don't "got" to do anything.

Date: June 30, 2018 02:47PM

Agree, but I am mot contributing. He knew what would happen and should pay his own fine IMO. If others feel differently that is fine. I am not a big fan of his methods myself

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:46AM

I wonder on what grounds? (i.e. if he had previously been warned off, he refused to leave when asked to do so, he lacked authorization, he was creating a disturbance.) Hopefully he will get an attorney to represent him.

Date: June 30, 2018 12:57AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder on what grounds? (i.e. if he had
> previously been warned off, he refused to leave
> when asked to do so, he lacked authorization, he
> was creating a disturbance.) Hopefully he will get
> an attorney to represent him.

Looks like SLC, UT... he'd been warned. He was making a video, I believe, and he was trespassing, so it's criminal trespass. Most likely just a class A misdemeanor. He's out of jail. No biggie. He was pushing his luck.

Date: June 30, 2018 01:35AM

Right, after looking around a bit I see he's been previously warned.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:09AM

So many causes, hard to decide who gets my hard-won money. I may have to dip into the trust fund Daddy set up for me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:35AM

Why did Mike go there when he knew they would be on the lookout for him ?

Date: June 30, 2018 01:41AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Why did Mike go there when he knew they would be
> on the lookout for him ?

Just my guess - he wanted the attention. He had been warned, he knew he was trespassing. And it's working. It's only a Class A Misdemeanor. No biggie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 01:41AM by SusieQ#1.

Date: June 30, 2018 01:43AM

He's making a new video. That might have something to do with it.

Date: June 30, 2018 01:55AM

summer Wrote:
> He's making a new video. That might have something
> to do with it.

Exactly. He likes to stir the pot.

Now we'll see how this plays out. Probably a fine.

A class A misdemeanor is the most serious type of misdemeanor in Utah, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. (Utah Code Ann. § § 76-3-204, 76-3-301.)

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:54AM

Can't believe he's still doing that.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:59AM

to get attention. There is nothing new going on in the LDSInc McTemples. No new info. Just new self-promoting. Poking yourself in the eye is not a badge of courage and if you are going to do it you should be damn sure to have the insurance deductible (fine) in the bank first and not go begging for it after the fact.

Besides, I am sure all his very happy happy happy exwives will be happy to pay the bill.

*Edit to add:
Or his brother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 04:59AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 07:55AM

Susan is right. I was asked 2 weeks ago to be on a radio-podcast out of California as to why we do not promote this kind of activity. I refused suspecting I was just being used and/or it was a setup. This recent incident is not a surprise.

Date: June 30, 2018 09:17AM

Interesting.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:53AM

Whatever he's doing, he's doing a lot more than many here who just write about the church.

All news is bad news to Mormonism. And NNN is doing his part to inform people.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:15AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
--------------------------------------------
> Besides, I am sure all his very happy happy happy
> exwives will be happy to pay the bill.
>
> *Edit to add:
> Or his brother.

No need to resort to smartass remarks to make a point.

Date: June 30, 2018 09:56AM

There's a history between NNN and the board, let's put it that way. A lot goes on behind the curtain that average board members never see.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 11:18AM

I was at the Exmormon Conference where he unleashed a vulgar invective directed at Susan that was straight from the sewer.

This guy is exactly the sort of "enemy" the Mormon Church welcomes because he's so offensive they don't have to play defense; he does their work for them.

I've had my disagreements with ADMIN in the past, but I do appreciate this site, and I consider it an honor to have met as many in person as I have...

'Nuff...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 11:19AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 06:15AM

He still has now a criminal record that will be with him the rest of his life.

What a dufus!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 11:48AM

NNNeh.

I suspect the church will want to make this go away and he will either plead out to a lesser charge or the charges will be dropped pending the payment of a fine or some other arrangement, like a restraining order, etc. And even if he does plead to a misdemeanor, those can be fairly easily removed from your record after a certain amount of years. At least in the states I’m familiars with. I have known felons to successfully petition courts to have their Felonies removed from their records
, and I’m not sure expunging a misdemeanor even requires petitioning a judge.
I could be wrong about this, and it’s all speculation on my pArt.. And I’m not sure that this falls under the category of ‘any news is bad news for the church’, I mean is there anything in the Tribune or the Deseret news about this?

Sounds like he was just acting like a dumbass.

Date: June 30, 2018 06:27AM

NNN monetizes his YouTube videos.

For him, it's been a money making venue. Therefore, let him pay his own fines since they're collateral damage.

;)

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 07:09AM

Posted by: anonyXMo ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 07:55AM

Was he trying to get INSIDE the freaking temple with a fake pass or something? That not good

Date: June 30, 2018 08:09AM

He used someone else's temple recommend before this to get inside a temple to make some of his YouTube videos. In essence, he impersonated someone. If that's a crime by TR standards, then he is guilty as charged.

Probably why he was banned by the courts not to set foot on temple property again.

Date: June 30, 2018 09:08AM

What goes on in the temple deserves to be exposed for the BS that it is. Why are you defending the cult?

Date: June 30, 2018 09:15AM

Not defending the Mormon church, just stating the law. The grounds for criminal trespass include already receiving notification that you are not to be on someone else's property (this includes church property.) From what I understand, NNN had already been given a written warning. That is adequate grounds for a police officer to arrest him.

Date: June 30, 2018 09:07AM

Is Temple Square actual cult property? Who owns the water rights, electrical, sewer, etc for that block? Does the city still service that area? Weird.

Date: June 30, 2018 09:32AM

Of course Temple Square is private property. Same as if someone were trespassing on your home. Unless you're an invitee there, as in guest, don't bother showing up if there to stir up trouble.

If people want to picket outside Temple Square away from temple grounds, they may still need a permit to do so by the local municipality. But at least they're off private property.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:41AM

Mixed feelings.

On one hand, Mike has helped a lot of people recognize the fraud of the Church. Especially younger people who have no idea what goes on.

On the other hand, he brings a lot of bad press to the ExMo community with his questionable tactics. My sense is that people leave the church because of its deceitful history and doctrines and bad behavior on the part of the leadership. It's an ethical position that doesn't square with some of what Mike does.

Date: June 30, 2018 10:02AM

It would seem he needs to find a new gig. He's milked incognito temple videos, and that gig is now up.

Date: June 30, 2018 09:58AM

One thing I've always wondered about -- the Mormon church can obviously put a copyright on the movies that they show in the temple, although IDK if the church has done so. But what about the temple ceremony itself? Since a lot of the endowment is copied from the Masons, couldn't the Masons rightfully object?

Date: June 30, 2018 10:41AM

The church would have to provide a record of just exactly what it was they were copyrighting and the author would have to be identified, because the copyright has a finite life time, unless the church claimed the author was ghawd, because currently a copyright it good for the life of the author, plus 70 years.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 10:44AM

Well I'm definitely not an attention whore because I never got paid so maybe I'm just an attention slut.

I Shummy did make a visit to temple square back in 2006 when I innocently walked about without a shirt on and was soon asked to put my shirt back on which I did until I left what I thought was Mormon property but soon found out how wrong I was.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 10:50AM

which is almost a total rip-off of the opening sequence of Dino De Laurentiis' "The Bible" (1966).

A lot of people don't like Ed Decker either but the animated segment from "The God Makers" exposes Mormon theology for what it really is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 10:51AM by anybody.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:22PM

The videos were prima facia evidence of trespassing, and Eric simply asked they not be posted here because of possible legal threats from LDS, Inc.

Honest, he wished Mike well, and ADMIN was charged with enforcing Eric's decision. In reaction, Mike behaved as I documented above.

There were a couple of "over-the-top" elements to the videos, IMO; in one they were drinking beer in the Sealing Room of the Temple, and in another, Norton described "finding" a Temple recommend and some visitors to Temple gave him money for it. He described that action and apparently was quite proud of it...

Nobody doubts that it's a tremendous shock to the psyche to decide the LDS Church is a fraud (my grandfather filled a mission in the 1920's and described his "deconversion" as a hellish proces; my dad was utterly furious at being lied to).

There are "grown-up" ways of making those adjustments, however.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:07PM

A lot of comments here pro and con, but two words I haven't seen yet: Whistle Blower.

Just my 2 cents to throw in the pot and stir.

I could go on further but I have to go to work. Boo!

Date: June 30, 2018 12:34PM

I disagree, because that whistle has been blown in more ways than one from noon to Sunday. It's old news by now (What goes on in the temples.) And the history to go with that.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 03:26PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:45PM

Because of him filming the absurdity of what goes on in the temple, hundreds of people will leave the church. No matter whether you think his motives are.

Any time people find out the truth of what goes on in the
temple or what goes on amoungst the General authorities and
their policy making , its all good. He's telling and showing
the truth and many many people will thank him for it.

Date: June 30, 2018 03:28PM

saucie Wrote:
> Because of him filming the absurdity of what goes
> on in the temple, hundreds of people will leave
> the church. No matter whether you think his
> motives are.
>
> Any time people find out the truth of what goes on
> in the
> temple or what goes on amoungst the General
> authorities and
> their policy making , its all good. He's telling
> and showing
> the truth and many many people will thank him for
> it.

I thanked him for it, I just wish those videos were available when I was younger. Not sure if he got a little too lost in his motives though with this incident.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:39PM

Mike's bail costed $680.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:44PM

How much has to be put up in cash? How much wile get back when he shows up in court? How will he return the donations when he gets his bail back?

All relevant questions.

I imagine it is cash bail, and the fine will be deducted from it. Not a fan of Mikey. He seems way to much like a bomb waiting to go off.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:48PM

1. I make sure my son (an adult) knows where I'm going and what I'm doing.

2. I deposit money in our joint account that can be used to bail me out.

3. I tell my boss I might need to take some vacation days.

Easy peasy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 02:50PM by Beth.

Date: June 30, 2018 03:24PM

I like your style Beth I like your style. We should rob banks together haha jk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.