Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 11:07AM

I was following YouTube links yesterday when I came upon Santana performing "Soul Sacrifice" at Tanglewood in 1970. Wow, it took me back to their concert I saw the same year in SLC at the Salt Palace. I think they might have closed with "Soul Sacrifice." Anyway, my 17-year-old self was totally taken away by the music back then. I had never experienced music like that. They rhythm, the happiness, the energy... I was still grooving to the memory of it as my date and I made our way out of the building. My head was bobbing and my white boy hips were doing their best imitation of shaking. I was joyous and floating and wishing the show wasn't over.

My date, though, was all pious and anxious. Like a proper Mormon girl, she thought there must be something evil about music that could make you want to boogie and shake and smile. She was in a sullen mood all the way home. I suspect she felt bad about feeling good.

But, you know, that's the way Mormonism works. They make you feel ashamed of yourself so they can gain control.

(Oh, and I didn't date that girl again. I don't even remember her name or face.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 11:12AM

I loved the "bad" music, too. At least the music my brother played every day. He also played the drums, so we got a "concert." I have always loved the Doors. I adored my older brother and still do. My sister and I just older than me thought he was God. Our younger siblings didn't know him very well and he had a stroke at age 42 and isn't the same as he used to be.

But "Riders On the Storm" will always be my brother and "Light My Fire." One of my favorites is "She Lives On Love Street." I hadn't heard that song in years and my son played it one day. he gets on the internet and plays a bunch of old music.

I believe I was always meant to be NOT MORMON. I always felt more comfortable with the "sinners" than the "Saints."

I do remember also back in the 1960s, a lot of the "bad" bands came to SLC. Doors were supposed to play there, too, but I think they got canceled. And bands used to play at LaGoon. Did Doors play at LaGoon? It seems my brother told me they did.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 10:07PM

>Did Doors play at LaGoon?

Yep...1967 and 1968. The Rolling Stones in 1966

http://lagoonhistory.com/project/attractions/patio-gardens/chronological-list-of-performers-at-lagoon/

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 03:31PM

I love the list of artists who've played Lagoon..some really great people in the 50's, including Dave Brubeck and Louis Armstrong (4 days in a row).

In my high school days, 65-67, I saw the Beach Boys twice but once was at the Terrace Ballroom that used to be on Main street.

And I was sure I saw The Supremes at Lagoon, but their name doesn't show up. I saw them somewhere in SLC, standing about 15 feet from the stage and Diana Ross's dress was dirty.

And others on that list..sadly, I didn't get to see Santana for many years, after I'd moved to Las Vegas.Mr first time was at the MGM Grand where an asshole with an $8.00 beer spilled it down my back--about 30 minutes into the show. I stayed as long as I could stand it. Then I saw him do his show at the Hard Rock showroom..just amazing.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 06:11PM

memikeyounot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw the Beach Boys twice but once was at the Terrace Ballroom that used to be on Main street.

Wow...the Terrace Ballroom. While a student at BYU I saw KISS there in 1976. When Gene Simmons spit fire he accidentally lit up his hair. Some stage crew guy jumped up with a towel to put it out. Good times.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 03:03PM

cl2, just wanted to let you know I laughed out loud at the way you spelled "LaGoon" :) Priceless!

Used to go there as a kid. Thought it was the pinnacle of childhood amusement. Then we moved to SoCal...Disneyland, Knott's, Magic Mountain, Sea World. It took me about a month to realize how far behind Utah was!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 04:00PM

I saw many, many concerts in my younger days, and Santana still ranks as one of the best. I saw them at Red Rocks outside of Denver.

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 04:09PM

I'm guilty of liking bad music as a youth also. I was 10 when The Beatles broke up, so them and The Monkees were big for me, not that the Monkees were "bad". And The Beatles were only soso in that department.

But I remember LOVING Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride when it was on the radio. I also loved Iron Butterfly. I was also not built for mo'ism, thank glob.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 07:54PM

I've always loved Magic Carpet Ride too. It's still probably in my top 5 of favorite songs of my life.

Loved Iron Butterfly too. I must have listened to in a godda da via hundreds of times when I was a teen.

I remember feeling like I needed to hide this kind of music from my parents since it was drug-infested evil music and all. :-)

Apparently the "spirit" cannot dwell with that kind of music (eye roll) but boy howdy, that music had spirit for me.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 09:30PM

If there's a rock & roll heaven I'd MUCH rather go there than the celestial kingdom.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 10:39PM

Thanks...I have Inna Gadda Da Vida on CD...it's going on LOUD momentarily.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 10:23PM

On my mission, I had a companion who got the radio in our church-issued car working. I learned early in the mission that the other Elders will make life as rough on you as they can if you're a stickler about the rules and force your companion to keep the rules. I couldn't talk my companion out of listening to the radio all-together. So on his day to drive he got to listen to the radio. Then on my day to drive he didn't give me any grief about there being no radio on.

I remember one day in particular where the song 'Care of the Devil' by AC-DC was blaring on the radio when we pulled up to an investigator's home. I felt super guilty as we taught and my companion would look the people in the eyes and tell them so sincerely how he knew the church was true. Then when we left, it was back to rocking out. I could never figure out how that never bothered him.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 03:11PM

My roommate at Ricks college in 1981 was into "bad" music. She drove a Mazda RX-7 around the campus with Highway to Hell blaring so all could hear. Although I was TBM I hated Ricks college and loved driving with my roommate blasting her AC/DC music, just for the shock value and looks of disapproval from the students. Priceless!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 05:08PM

For me it was R&B music plus the Stones and the Beatles and on and on.... so obviously I REALLY felt like I didn't fit in with
the mormons at church. It was a good thing I grew up in Southern
California where there was and still is tons and tons of diversity. I didn't really socialize with them as a teenager except for church things and dating mormon guys.

I love Don Bagley because he always likes my music
on face book... Always. He's a faithful friend to me. I always
always told Olddog that he was so white because he didn't like
any of my music... I mean what kind of lamenite is that??? Actually I'm a gringa ... but not in my taste in music ... oh I do love Beethoven and Bach but my main music is R&B bottom line.

I just love music and when I was a kid I gave god a chance because
we had music and I figure he gave it to us.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 05:52PM

I can't remember who said it, but I heard the quote as "If Ghawd had meant man to be acoustic, she wouldn't have given us the electric guitar!"

The "she" is mine...just because.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 06:02PM

And right you are Captainklutz.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:40AM

Remember the steam-powered guitar?!?!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 09:59PM

It doesn't seem that my parents cared too much about what music my brother listened to and we were right there listening as he was the only one with a "stereo." My dad had issues with my brother, which were ridiculous, but they made peace later in life. It usually was his hair was too long.

He played the drums and he had a good friend who played the piano. They had 4 people in a band. They were all not your typical little mormon boys. So they played "House of the Rising Sun" for a talent show at church. My mother had no clue what the song was about and I certainly didn't. My mother said something to one of the other mothers about how well they played, and the other mother told her what the song was about.

That wouldn't happen nowadays. They'd make sure they checked what song it was they were going to play.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.