Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:03PM

I'm hiring two programmer positions at work, so I've been going through resumes.

I found this gem in one I was reviewing this morning...and just had to share!

"I'm extremely detail-oriented. I check and rechecks everything I write before submitting."

Except resumes, I guess :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:07PM

Your gointo regret makin fun of my ritings.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:15PM

I’ve learned to be very careful whenever I type “public.” Personally, I don’t intend to do any more pubic speaking. The Boner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 09:30AM

ya Bone...that whole public/pubic deal gets a little fuzzy sometimes....lol

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:18PM

May I corect that and resubmit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 04:19PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:43PM

I think you meen re correct sense it was all ready re checked for the 1st sub mission.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:43PM

We had a 25ish girl apply for an open position yesterday. On her resume, in her "education" heading, after her schools she attended, she wrote "served an 18 month LDS mission." Her rez ended up in the round file.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 11:44PM

Would you refer to a 25 year old male applicant as "this boy applied for a job..."

If no, then there's a case for sex discrimination. If yes, there's a case for age discrimination. That can apply to bias against younger workers, not just against older ones.

And rejecting someone because of their religion when they are otherwise qualified for the job is religious discrimination.

I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek about the sex and age discrimination, though you might want to give some serious consideration to when the term "girl" might be inappropriate. But there could be serious repercussions if somebody filed a religious discrimination suit against your employer, and in the discovery phase, somebody told investigators they had once seen you do what you described. The case may have nothing to do with you, but that past action could get your employer in very hot water by helping establish a pattern of discrimination in the institution, and could well get you fired.

I know the UofU has been investigated several times for discriminating against LDS faculty applicants. They (in fact, I suspect virtually all universities) are very by the book on these kinds of issues. They have better things to do than defend lawsuits. Except BYU. They seem constantly to be in one legal hassle or another. Treatment of students reporting sexual assault. Expelling law students who resign from the LDS Church. The current brouhaha is lack of transparency in the BYU police force. BYU and LDS Inc have this habit of thinking the rules don't apply to them, so they end up in the news a lot, and not in a good way.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 04:45PM

Was his name Popeye by chance? He probably meant to write "I checks and I rechecks everything I writes before submitting".

That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more.

Date: July 19, 2018 05:16PM

Unless it's a middle name the applicant didn't supply...no.
But I like where you're going :)

This wouldn't have been nearly as amusing if it hadn't been in the part where he was telling me how detail-oriented he was.

But it still would have been amusing!

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 05:22PM

Guess I knows where me resume went, doesn't I?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 03:18AM

Programmers are notoriously bad at spelling. It could be a good sign.

Date: July 20, 2018 09:09AM

Not the ones I hire :)

My logic: if you can't spell in English, you can't spell in C++.

Date: July 20, 2018 10:57AM

Hie,

From what I've seen programmers turn out in C-sharp, it looks to be a write-only language. I prefer VB.net. I could probably even still do COBOL. I guess I'm an oddity, I loved COBOL. The more I could make it read like a book, the better.

I do have to admit though that the job is becoming a lot less fun and I'm looking forward to retirement later this year.

Date: July 20, 2018 11:47AM

Jack Ganssle had great success hiring English majors and teaching them C/C++, so you may have a point.

Date: July 20, 2018 01:35PM

Actually, the two positions I'm hiring for will be using PHP, Java (server-side code), and Javascript (client-side code).

None of those old, outdated languages we old farts used and loved so long...

Still, the analogy holds... Javascript spelled like this:

funkshun gitInput(e){
vari valuz;

fer(ii = 0; ii < 10 ii++)
valuz[ii) = e.d(ii];
retern values;
}

won't run! Spelling matters :)

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 02:05AM

The compiler will catch spelling anyway unless they mis-spell everything the same way every time. If they mis-spell their variables and the program still runs, no one will ever know. But if they mis-spell words in the user interface, everyone who touched the code looks stupid, even if the program runs well. I like the idea of hiring English majors and teaching them to write code. They will tend to have fewer errors and will probably spend less time debugging their own code.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 02:06AM by azsteve.

Date: July 22, 2018 04:09AM

I would expect more maintainable code. Good writing involves writing stuff that’s readable. With today’s scripting languages, you have a dialog with the computer using a built-up meta language. So there again writing matters.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:32PM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was his name Popeye by chance? He probably meant
> to write "I checks and I rechecks everything I
> writes before submitting".
>
> That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more.

hahahahhahahahhahhahahahaha. I love it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:17AM

Writing the sentence good.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 09:23AM

My brother is the president of a consulting engineering firm. A few years ago he got a resume from an engineer fresh out of college. The engineer looked good on paper; good grades in core classes, internships, extracurricular experience.

What stuck out most, however, is that both the cover letter and resume were rife with errors. He would have tolerated a couple minor typos; he wasn't hiring a writer, after all. But communication skills are still required of engineers, particularly consulting engineers who are dealing directly with clients.

My brother returned the resume with markups, and included a letter explaining that this is an opportunity for the engineer to learn how to present himself in a manner that highlights his achievements, rather than as a distraction.

My brother also explained that he cannot overlook this poor first impression, and will therefore not be hiring the engineer, but that he hoped to help the engineer make a good first impression with another prospective employer.

Date: July 20, 2018 09:37AM

Nice.
This one came in through a recruiter.
So did a few others that were horrendous when it came to organization, spelling, and grammar.

I gave her feedback to give to the candidates. And also let her know that perhaps *she* should proofread their resumes before sending them out to people like me for consideration :)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 10:03AM

One of my sisters teaches university courses for STEM students to improve their communication skills, both verbal and written.

I had her as a guest speaker at an open house for my Toastmasters club. She had some (sometimes) humorous horror stories about brilliant students overlooked in the job market because they simply could not speak or write well enough to let people know what they can do.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 11:17AM

The engineers at my husbands' work were always asking him to spell things and English is his SECOND language! One time the subject of shifts came up and the engineer needed to send an email-he asked my husband how to spell "graveyard"!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:04PM

was about to graduate from college and was thinking about grad school vs. workforce and we posted here asking for advice, some people thought I was sock puppeting because "there was NO WAY a 23 y.o. could write so eloquently."

My kid graduated summa, major in computer science, minor in math, minor in philosophy, and was a writing and a math tutor.

Just putting this out there for irony's sake.

(Yes, I'm still pissed about the non-stop three-thread anon attack on us. Imma figure out who you were. One day. Oh yes. One day...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2018 12:05PM by Beth.

Date: July 20, 2018 12:10PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Yes, I'm still pissed about the non-stop
> three-thread anon attack on us. Imma figure out
> who you were. One day. Oh yes. One day...)

I think I'm glad that was before my time. ;->

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:19PM

I think it's the only attack that really got under my skin.

I started off asking an ethical question. I went to [fancy pants] Law School, and I have a network of friends and acquaintances who either work in the comp sci field, know professors in the field, work with major players in the field, or have family members in the field.

My question was whether it was ethical for me to approach those people on behalf of my kid. I'm not from a family of means. We don't have family connections, and while I will *always* want to help my kid, I never want to cross an ethical line after having seen all the benes my classmates received by accident of birth.

I don't have that problem anymore.

Will be AFK in case those anon assholes decide to light into me again.

I will forever be grateful to the anon who wrote, "Oh, c'mon. This is cruel" when Thread Three kicked off.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2018 12:25PM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.