Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 02:40PM

So my DH and I were out for a walk yesterday morning, and we came upon an enchanting sight: In the front yard of a house were yellow ribbons tied to the trees in their boulevard, the bushes, and their mailbox. This little "tradition" has been done for sometime when a family of a missionary is about to welcome home their missionary. I thought the song, "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" was about a welcoming home of someone who had done prison time and was coming home. I guess that would be appropriate for a missionary because they are escaping a prison life, in a way...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 02:51PM

I love that song, yes, it’s about a guy coming home on a bus, after serving his time in prison. It is used by military families, or anyone who supports the military, welcoming them home or supporting them.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 03:30PM

Yellow ribbons honor returning military members, captives or POW's, in 49 states. In Utah, they decorate entire blocks for RM's. I've always thought it's disrespectful to military members. Plus, they tie ribbons on stop signs, street lights, traffic lights and other taxpayer property. Then, they leave them to rot and eventually fall off. Utah mormons have no clue about societal respect.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 03:41PM

Never underestimate the influence of a singer/songwriter.

Date: July 22, 2018 03:57PM

"Highway to Hell" comes to mind.

Date: July 22, 2018 04:07PM

My favorite song when my Mormon world was crumbling.

Date: July 22, 2018 02:54PM

Another one survived the rite of passage. Now all he has to do is unlearn all of the kooky Mormon stuff.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 03:35PM

Mishies are seen as heroes for harassing and lying away two years of their lives instead of contributing to their future success and giving to society.

That's just sad.

Date: July 22, 2018 04:02PM

"Mishies are seen as heroes for harassing and lying away two years of their lives instead of contributing to their future success and giving to society."

Only by ward members. Not by the other 99.2 percent of the American population.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 10:12PM

Think of all the wise counsel they dispensed ...

/S

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 04:05PM

In my neighborhood, we have, “Well done thou faithful servant” signs on church and personal property, no problem for me.

The yellow ribbon should be reserved for national remembrances or mourning times. There were many yellow ribbons during the Iranian Hostage crisis, the Gulf War, and after 9/11.

Mormons using yellow ribbons for missionaries is pathetic.

Date: July 22, 2018 04:11PM

"Mormons using yellow ribbons for missionaries is pathetic."

Damn straight!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 04:11PM

that they put up in empty lots close to the missionary's house.

BUT, I just have to say that my mother LOVED that song. The summer it was really popular, I carried my dad's radio while we hoed beets and that song would come on a lot. Brings back a lot of memories. My mom died 10-1/2 years ago. Seeing your subject line was a gift today.

Date: July 22, 2018 04:20PM

Yeah, but things are different in Utah. They all try to outdo each other, starting at the SLC airport with huge crowds. Pisses off business people that travel weekly and others that just want to get home. The other one that pisses me off is the Red Solo cups. You know the enclosed sky bridges across the freeways? The ones with chain link? The ward kids plot out the fence and insert thousands of plastic cups to spell out "Welcome home Elder "xxxxxx" on his route to drive home from the airport. Then, they leave them to rot and blow all over the landscape. They believe they are doing something spiritual, when all they are doing is polluting and pissing others off.

Date: July 22, 2018 09:02PM

Yep, you triggered a Boner with this! Mormons, stop putting your cups on overpasses. Police, start writing graffiti tickets!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 10:07PM

That's not graffiti, Boner, or even vandalism. It's Premeditated Aggravated Felony Littering in the First Degree With Idiocy Aforethought.

Date: July 22, 2018 10:37PM

Littering?

Date: July 22, 2018 11:55PM

In Massachusetts, the idiot politicians dropped the basic ticket-and-fine for littering, making it a misdemeanor, which requires a police report and a court complaint.This way they "got serious" about the issue. A cop used to be able to right a simple ticket. Now he has to back to the station for an hour and write. Result? Less littering enforcement.

Stupid politicians.

#Bluestateblues.

Date: July 23, 2018 12:01AM

But what if they need all of those 8x10 color glossies and the seeing eye dog?

Date: July 22, 2018 10:40PM

Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie. I put that piece of paper under that pile of garbage.

Date: July 22, 2018 10:44PM

Something tells me the munchies are on the horizon.

Date: July 22, 2018 11:23PM

Ogden and SLC. I live up in Cache Valley, so we don't have that happening.

It makes things a lot worse meeting missionaries at the airport since you can't go to the gates and there is a bunch of people waiting at the bottom of the single escalator.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:49PM

The Solo cup company is making a fortune.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 04:14PM

Yellow ribbons for their "heroes." Disgusting.

I guess I am over reacting. Makes me angry though, this. Today I am so sick of Mormons and their pathetic need to self aggrandize as they wallow in ignorance and arrogance supposing themselves superior. I guess this just triggered me because I got a big dose of it from my family last night. Why do I bother?

Date: July 22, 2018 05:29PM

Sounds very dangerous, implanting cups on the overpass bridge.
If they include the Elder’s name on the message, the people who had their cars damaged by cups blowing away on the highway , or causing an accident, know who to send the repair bill to

Date: July 22, 2018 05:41PM

Considering that most of Utah is a theocracy, and all the top department heads are mormon, don't expect any action. Not too much damage done by a withered cup hitting your car, more environmental and garbage issues. I wouldn't have believed half this shit, until I actually lived in Utah.

Date: July 22, 2018 05:55PM

Debris on the road , being sucked up in your car. It’s not as much damage as tire threads, but can still get sucked up and slow the car down, causing the car behind to run into you.
Seen it happen with light debris before.

Date: July 22, 2018 11:39PM

Maybe a partial piece of debris will cause issues that you describe, in an F-1 or Indy Car race. Not likely, at all, on a street car at 60 MPH. I don't like the practice, nor the consequences, but let's not exaggerate.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:06PM

Wikipedia.....
Origins of the song Edit
This is NOT the story of a convict who had told his love to tie a ribbon book to a tree outside of town. I know because I wrote the song one morning in 15 minutes with the late lyrical genius Irwin Levine. The genesis of this idea came from the age old folk tale about a Union prisoner of war--who sent a letter to his girl that he was coming home from a confederate POW camp in Georgia.... Anything about a criminal is pure fantasy....

— L. Russell Brown

The origin of the idea of a yellow ribbon as remembrance may have been the 19th-century practice that some women allegedly had of wearing a yellow ribbon in their hair to signify their devotion to a husband or sweetheart serving in the U.S. Cavalry. The song "'Round Her Neck She Wears a Yeller Ribbon", which later inspired the John Wayne movie She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, is a reference to this. The symbol of a yellow ribbon became widely known in civilian life in the 1970s as a reminder that an absent loved one, either in the military or in jail, would be welcomed home on their return....

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:56PM

lisadee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The origin of the idea of a yellow ribbon as
> remembrance may have been the 19th-century
> practice that some women allegedly had of wearing
> a yellow ribbon in their hair to signify their
> devotion to a husband or sweetheart serving in the
> U.S. Cavalry. The song "'Round Her Neck She Wears
> a Yeller Ribbon", which later inspired the John
> Wayne movie She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, is a
> reference to this.

I've never seen the film, but I've had to "deal" with it a few times (in articles I have written), and I never knew this.

Thank you, lisadee!

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 05:58PM

I remember in the early 70's abou tying a yellow ribbon around a tree. It was because of a lot of POW's that had been released from the viatnam war. I live as a young child through the war and my neighbor ( 18 year old who us kids looked up to) came home about six months after he left. Sadly he came home as a casulaity of that war. His name was Ricky. For me as a young teen at the time the POW's came home was very sad as it was for all of us. The yellow ribbon has always been a special thing for me since then.

For missionaries / family to use such a thing is blasphemy. I'm with done & done. Its disgusting. A slap in the face for all those who have truly suffered for this country.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 09:31PM

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 06:06PM

I agree with everyone; it made me mad when I saw those yellow ribbons. It is blasphemy. But when you live in the Mordor, you see it all the time.

Date: July 22, 2018 09:45PM

I think of a successful discharge (sorry about the pun, Boner!) from a mission as a Pyrrhic victory in spiritual warfare.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 10:32PM

Originally, it wasn't about vets or anything else. It was about people in prison trying to reenter society and wondering if family would accept them.

Here are the actual lyrics:

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do
If you still want me, if you still want me
Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
It's been three long years, do you still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the ole oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
Bus driver, please look for me
'Cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison and my love, she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free
And I wrote and told her please
Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
It's been three long years, do you still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the ole oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
Now the whole damned bus is cheerin'
And I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons round the ole oak tree
I'm comin' home
Tie a ribbon 'round the ole oak tree

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 11:10PM

Thanks for posting the lyrics. So many people misinterpret the song.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 11:16PM

This song is linked in my memory to "Green green grass of home." That one makes me wanna cry, it's so sad. For the soldiers who didn't make it home.

Date: July 22, 2018 11:28PM

I heard it somewhere just recently. I love that song.

Yes, it is a travesty for the missionary families to steal these type of things.

My mother NEVER thought of the yellow ribbon song as missionaries. It will always be extremely special to me because of that.

The 2 things that have bothered me about mormons today (or 3) is this thread, the thread about ministering by Secular Priest, and my bishop neighbor having a neighborhood party on the 24th in his yard (like they'll be able to contain the party in his yard). They have no boundaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 11:29PM by cl2.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 12:34AM

"There Won't Be Many Coming Home" --Civil War song by Roy Orbison is one that I can barely listen to. And it reminds me of LDS missionaries coming home without damage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.