Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:08PM

It outbid NSYNC highest offer. Prepared to go higher than any other bidder - after NSYNC learned it lost the sale to HGTV.

"...HGTV is the winning bidder and we'll restore the home to its 1970s glory as only HGTV can. More detail to come over the next few months, but we'll bring all the resources to bear to tell safe, fun stories with this beloved piece of American TV history."

The house was listed at a starting price of almost $1.9 million.

"This iconic residence is reportedly the 2nd most photographed home in the United States after the White House," the description read on selling agent Ernie Carswell's site.

"Featuring perfectly preserved 1970's décor, it boasts one of the largest lots in the neighborhood -- over 12,500 sq. ft. Enormous, lush backyard gardens & lawn, completely private & serene. Located on a quiet residential block, property also borders the Los Angeles River, which is a unique street-to-river orientation."

Former *NSYNC member Lance Bass had taken to social media this week to express his disappointment at losing out on the house.
Lance Bass 'heartbroken' he didn't get 'Brady Bunch' house
According to Bass, he was initially told his offer had been the winning one but later learned it had been rejected for a more lucrative offer from a then-unidentified corporate buyer.

"The next day, due to "unforeseen circumstances" the same agent informed us that there's another Corporate Buyer (Hollywood studio) who wants the house at any cost," Bass wrote on an Instagram posting. "We were prepared to go even higher but totally discouraged by the sellers agent, they will outperform any bid with unlimited resources."

The sale price has not been announced yet."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/entertainment/hgtv-brady-bunch-house/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:17PM

Thank you for the timely update, Amyjo!!

I am going to be most interested when the final sale price is made public.

Date: August 07, 2018 01:28PM

I thought of you when the article published. :)

Posted by: job74 ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:41PM

That house has become an iconic piece of American History. It is the second most photographed home/house in US, right behind the White House. How could Hollywood let that one go??

This is great news, thanks for the update!

Date: August 08, 2018 09:44AM

HGTV knew a great deal when it saw one. It was prepared to outbid anyone - the sky was the limit in how high it would've gone to win the auction.

At least it will preserve what's left of that Americana (one can only hope.)

Like Tevai wonders, it will be interesting to see how much they actually are paying for it - once that becomes public record.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:51PM

You mean the Lion House isn't? Oh shame!

Date: August 08, 2018 09:45AM

TSSC property in perpetuity. ;-)

Date: August 07, 2018 02:13PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "...property also borders the Los Angeles River, which is a
> unique street-to-river orientation."

Sincere writer's props to whoever wrote these words.

Although the mental image most non-Angelenos would envision from this description would be something akin to a beautifully serene, tree-shaded riverbank somewhere in the U.K., the Los Angeles River has, decades ago--and for EXTREMELY good and practical reasons--been converted into a series of wide and very deep concrete canals with (most of the time) a small dribble of excess lawn water collected at the bottom-most level, on its meandering way to the Pacific Ocean.

The advertised "street-to-river orientation" of the property probably would not be where people, gathered together for an outdoor party or a wedding, would naturally congregate to gaze at the white concrete canal (even if it IS the Los Angeles River!).

[P.S. I am not complaining. The flooding which happened during the [then fairly common] deluge of rainy season, when I was a student at Sutter Junior High School (and all of us were, for a period of time, marooned on our schoolground--at that moment, an isolated island amid a HUGE body of impassible rainwater on all sides), taught me lifetime lessons--among them (improbable for me, the nature lover) that great, utilitarian structures of white concrete can be, in a flood, absolutely BEAUTIFUL! ;) ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 02:15PM by Tevai.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:14PM

Funny, Tevai!

When we lived in LA, I used to tell people it was the LA River *channel.*

And that to see the river, they'd have to come by in early March :)

Date: August 07, 2018 07:50PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny, Tevai!
>
> When we lived in LA, I used to tell people it was
> the LA River *channel.*
>
> And that to see the river, they'd have to come by
> in early March :)

:D

The "LA River *channel*" is perfect!

However, and unfortunately for everyone on the planet, "early March" doesn't work anymore.

Sometimes it seems like we will never see a "regular year" rainfall again.

Date: August 07, 2018 08:00PM

My son showed me that river when I visited there several years ago.

There was a drought then, that made the water so low it didn't look like a river at all. Just the concrete channel.

That drought is still ongoing. We've even been hit with one in the Northeast again this year (rare for this region.) The farmers are really hurting.

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 10:53PM

And actually not too expensive at only 500,000 pounds ($647,000 US)

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/tv/game-thrones-castle-goes-up-14988851

Date: August 07, 2018 11:09PM

That's for a piece of the castle. A part that's sectioned into six apartments. It's ancient alright. Imagine the cost of renovating the structure will easily surpass the initial investment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.