Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emily exo ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 01:08AM

because I was the person who never felt anything at all and was always discouraged after praying for so long, that I didn't recieve any *revelation* or *burning in my bosom*, (lol I hate that phrase)...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 01:13AM

Not really although I sometimes had a warm fuzzy feeling in church, but I never had what you would call a real spiritual experience.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 01:43AM

Tongue in cheek..I'll say because the Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity. The Trinity is Christian...while the LDS church isn't...no wonder the Holy Spirit spends his time in the Catholic Church talking to Catholics. Especially tomorrow, it's Pentecost Sunday, the beginning of the Church. Bet he's there in full force.

Anyway it's been my experience that you have to listen for him, He doesn't burn you but speaks softly. Anyway he told me that he has no love for Joseph Smith and well, I won't mention what he said about BY...VBG!!!

Praying for the feeling doesn't get the job done, you have to listen.

stormy

Posted by: truthfinder ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:55AM

There is no such thing as a holy ghost or spirit. Mormonism and many other religions are only capitalizing on one of the lesser known, less often felt human feelings- elation. It's an actual physically/scientifically measurable emotion which can be induced by thinking strongly believed-in thoughts and feelings. The funny part? When I realized that the Mormon church was wrong? *burning in my bosom*. When I realized that atheism is right? *burning in my bosom*. LOL :-D Oh, I guess that answers the question since yeah, I've felt it (both when I was religious and when I wasn't). ;-)

Oh and I would tell you to read this article, but I think they don't offer it for a free read anymore. (here's the link in case you have a subscription and can read it all, or can find it at your library?)
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527431.300-five-emotions-you-never-knew-you-had.html

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 05:15AM

heard the "still small voice." I later made a rational accounting of all the so-called "spiritual" things.

I believe our brains do this to us. My most "spiritual" time was when I was exposed to CO a lot, and I have a seizure disorder. Lack of oxygen makes things worse. If we dwell on things, our minds will find answers for us, which we then attribute to invisible beings, and magic, instead of to the most logical cause.

Also, after I became an atheist I prayed to my cat, and got the same results.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 06:21AM

You are told it is associated with burning bosom, with peace of mind, etc. Whatever. And voila! That is the association you will give this sensation you seek. No miracle, no surprise, in the mind and 'heart' you find what you desirefully seek.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 08:36PM

The holy spirit isn't all about feeling good and emotional and elation. Not about a warm fuzzy feelings..he gives what you need when you need it..no trumpets and drums.

stormy

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 06:50AM

Most of humanity feels uplifted and elated when they're part of a like minded friendly group in a setting where they're enjoying inspiring music and words.

I never felt any spiritual connection to mormon scripture the way I have to fine pieces of classic literature.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 08:31AM

I sure thought I did at times, but now I realize that it was just me being really emotionally moved by something.

There is one thing that I can't explain which happened to me. Maybe someday I'll talk about it, because I still can't explain it.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 08:55AM

But I realized very early in my life that this "spirit" confirmed the truth of fiction (as in obviously made-up movies) and misunderstandings so it never really mattered, I was still struggling with doubts no matter how many warm fuzzies I got. Once I had a really strong "spiritual" experience, and I tried to reconsile the "god" I had experienced with the mormon church, but it was in vain. The mormon god just isn't a god of love and tolerance. He's a petty, vindictive and wimpy jerk, a superman with the psychological maturity of a 5-year-old.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:02AM

I thought I did once,,it was just bad reaction to the chili from the night brfore.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:35AM

Often, and I still do, now that I have resigned. So what does that mean???

Things still happen to me often, that if I were mormon I would consider small miracles.

I guess God really does love apostates, is all I can conclude.haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 11:47AM by think4u.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:43AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 11:47AM by think4u.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 12:44PM

I felt it all the time. Exactly how they said I would. I learned a lot from that feeling, and was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the church was true. I'd pray to know if things were true and would get a range of still-small voice to burning in the bosom. Sometimes a stupor of thought when things weren't true.

I still get those feelings, but now realize that they are completely a product of my individual psychology. A controlled experiment showed me that.

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 01:12PM

I still feel the 'spirit' watching Braveheart.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:43AM

Yep. I feel "the spirit" every time I watch American Beauty. The end when Kevin Spacey is talking about being grateful for every stupid moment of his pathetic life, I get the exact feeling the church describes as the holy ghost. I just got a little warm fuzziness from thinking about it as I typed. Is the holy ghost suggesting that I quit my job, start smoking dope, and lust after fifteen-year-old cheerleaders? Magical thinking is effing dangerous.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 01:23PM

Every time I do something that releases endorphins...I definitely feel the spirit.

Whoops, the spirit's calling, right this very moment (chocolate)...

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 08:45PM

Never...felt...a...thing. After 40+ years I gave up trying. Life is much better now.

I thought I heard a "still small voice" once...in the temple...while I was pretending to slit my throat and gut myself. The voice said "You ARE in a cult!!". Then I realized I was whispering to myself.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:01AM

It really isn't difficult to get your mind to create emotions or sensations for you. Religions have been using this principle for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Perhaps some people don't feel it. I certainly did. It was BS to begin with though.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:28AM

It was thanksgiving and they sang and my bosom burned.

Posted by: Kablam ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 03:00AM

This was the thing that always made me feel bad about myself. Everyone around me was always talking about feeling the spirit and I never felt a damn thing!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.