Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:10PM

Stupid fucking cult.

I went to sacrament meeting today because my wife invited me to come hear her sing. I "used to could" do that sort of thing. I think those days are gone now.

The meeting started off with a senior missionary couple bearing testimony about how inspired the cult's employment program is. According to their earnest and powerful testifying, the church employment program is the most sacred, and God's favorite church program of all. These folks are just finishing up a two year "mission" as volunteers at the local D.I./'find a job' church site here in Utah county. I got the impression they were desperate to find some sort of validation for their efforts.

The youth speakers reflected a frightening amount of brainwashing. It made me sick to think my kids attend almost every week.

My wife sang well and as always, I really enjoyed listening to her. It was a great duet sung with another lady I quite like and respect. I should have walked out as soon as they finished. It might have saved the day. Instead I sat their and listened to the final speakers. A husband and wife team that proceeded to make my blood boil.

Fuck 'em. I don't care if they are nice people or not. Fuck 'em both in the ass with sharp pointy sticks.

She went first and wept with the fear in her heart over how wicked the world is and how anybody who doesn't go to church is probably pure evil. She talked about sheep leaving the fold. She reiterated that she was talking about adults who leave the church and the damage it will cause the little lambs who might follow them out of the church. Oh what a fucking tragedy. There I was sitting with my children, as this holier than thou, sweet spirit, told them their father was evil and should not be trusted and avoided if at all possible.

When her husband spoke things didn't improve. He started off bragging about all the successful temple marriages he was responsible for as the bishop of the singles ward. Goddamn it was smarmy.

Then he started in on how anybody who doubts the church is sinning. He backed it up with stories of the young people he counseled as bishop of the singles ward. Apparently many young people in the singles ward are questioning their beliefs. Fortunately he knows why. Sin. Yep it's only sin. Those who question the church only do so because they aren't living up to the standards of the gospel. As soon as they return to praying and reading the scriptures every day their doubts magically disappear. His conclusion was that anybody who leaves the church is a "less than" who is under the influence of Satan himself so stay away from them. What an arrogant FUCK!

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I was going to force the family to sit down and listen to my rebuttal when they all get home from the rest of the indoctrination sessions. It wouldn't do any good and would only reinforce the bitter apostate conclusion. Instead I'll just let loose with one more:

Fuck the Mormon church and it's arrogant attempt to undermine my influence over my children!

Thanks,

Stunted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 12:03PM by Stunted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:20PM

Oh, that has to be galling. I think I'd need to take out a bit of frustration on a punching bag. Got one hanging around the house? Maybe a very brisk walk.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:23PM

I think that's part of the reason they don't simply list times in the paper or on a phone message or web site for people to just show up if they're interested in the Mormon church. Can you imagine someone "church shopping" listening to that? I don't know how they get arround that arrogance with missionary-chaparoned investigators; maybe the investigators have been groomed after the first lession on Mormon superiority. I've sat through one too many testimony meetings listening to that level tripe. You know where you stand with Mormons real quick.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:27PM

(justifiably) furious.

But please, please don't desert them spiritually and leave them in forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 02:28PM by Heresy.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:41PM

Even better, sleep on it first. Otherwise you will end up with nothing but a fruitless argument. But you probably realize this, and that is why you wisely are posting on RfM about it.

The church’s undermining a non-TBM parent’s authority over their children is a serious problem. When it is time to talk with your wife, suggest you focus on THIS point, rather than on what a lying, B.S. institution TSCC is.

Good luck, "stunted." Let us know how it goes!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 02:53PM

I agree with WiserWoman. It might be a good idea to sit down with your wife and calmly have a discussion on how concerned you are that you're being marginalized and downright called 'dangerous' in front of your own children, and how disturbing that is to you.

Posted by: Harmony ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 03:11PM

either by your wife or the bish.

And speaking of DI "missionaries", my handicapped daughter was on the receiving end of one of those encouters. She worked at the DI for a while and was sent to meet with so called counselors/trainers. They were business owners who thought they knew everything. The "training" was totally out of what any responsible person would give. They didn't have a clue how to deal with the handicapped. Just more typical nonsense run by tscc.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 03:33PM

Nothing makes my blood boil quite so much as someone telling me I'm a bad father just because I happen to be able to read a history book. Joe married 14-year-olds. I have a problem with that. Therefore, I'm a bad father.

Yup. Fuck em with sharp sticks.

I want nothing more than for them to leave me the hell alone and I've said as much, but oh NO they can't do that. They have go get right up in your face and ask you how you're doing, is everything OK? "How can I help you with your personal issues today."

All I can think is, "wait who are you? We don't know each other. Why are you suggesting I have a problem and further why do you think you're the solution? Go away illiterate circus freak."

So I smile, act happy and say, "just peachy thanks."

"Well if there is anything we can ever do for you just let us know."

"I'll do that."

"We can help you be a better example to your kids and we..."

"Ok we're done, you just crossed the line Sir. Good Day."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 03:37PM

The topics of talks are assigned, so if they have someone talk about people not coming to church, leaving the fold and questioning their beliefs, then it has because a problem. Hurray!

The church doesn't bother lecturing about things that aren't problems.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 04:34PM

You have just cause to rant!

Yes, the cult crosses the line with families, and tries to drive a wedge between children and parents. Even the TBM kids are separated from parents when they walk in the church door--to be brainwashed in Primary and Sunday school. No talking in the halls. No talking in Sacrament meeting. Sure, they are sitting with their parents, but the can't communicate with them. They rush out the door to hurry and strip off the uncomfortable clothes, and get food into their growling stomachs. By then, the questions and opportunity for fresh dialog has passed. Church is something kids would rather put out of their mind, and feel that sweet relief of a whole week ahead, until they are forced to go again.

Definitely, "The Church" forces itself into the role of parent. All the better to brainwash the children. You are a threat!

You are fired up right now, but afraid to "rant" to your wife and kids. You will calm down, too, and settle into the relief, and start enjoying the rest of your Sunday, and delude yourself into thinking that everything will be fine if you just suck it up.

I lived that way for several years--until one day my children got together and told me, in detail, about the physical abuse (plus one attempted molestation) at the hands of the priesthood leaders. I'll spare you the details, but it is sufficient to say that the bullying was extreme enough for me to promise them that very second that they would never have to go to that church again!

The one regret I have in life, is that I didn't realize what was happening behind my back, that I didn't rescue them sooner. True, my kids were threatened not to tell, but as a parent, I should have realized that these were good, decent kids who had a legitimate complaint about being forced to go to church. They have turned out great, but they do have some very unpleasant memories. Though they have forgiven me for forcing them to go to church, I still carry that guilt.

If we had not all resigned together, the cult would have torn us apart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 04:37PM by forestpal.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 04:38PM

sorry you had to make it, but you ranted well!

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 05:15PM

>"Fuck 'em. I don't care if they are nice people or not. Fuck 'em both in the ass with sharp pointy sticks."<

YAY!

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 07:13PM

Those are the kind of talks that drove me away. Who wants to live their entire lives thinking that everything and everyone is evil that doomsday is nigh? I think it is sad that they can't focus on the positive things that happen around us. For some reason Mos think that they are the only ones with capacity to do good although rarely do they do anything for their communities. Bake a casserole for sister so and so and tick it off your to do list. I couldn't stand it. In our ward it was very disconcerting to hear the youth speak. How depressing to think the only good in town are the 10 mormons living in it. I felt the HG more this year watching Oprah than I did in Sacrament meeting! :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 07:19PM

Mr. and Mrs. Holier than Thou,

It's time you knew that your behavior doesn't reflect well on your church. Anyone who heard your talk is much more likey to leave than to stay.

What a sad waste of time and crocodile tears.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

Posted by: Elder George Carlin ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 07:27PM

"Fuck 'em. I don't care if they are nice people or not. Fuck 'em both in the ass with sharp pointy sticks."

This made me smile. If the said stick was a rose stick, it would have painful thorns that would tear the anus even worse, which would induce more excruciating pain for the said jerks.
- EGC who is completely fucked up.

Posted by: extbm ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 09:33PM

Great post. It is a cult. You're very right about that.

I hope eventually you can help your family OUT of it before it fucks your whole family up. Because the cult advertises "family, family, family" but in reality, they tear families apart. I have seen this happen SO many times outside my family as well as inside my family. They have their own agenda ($$$) and their idea of a "family" isn't fucking reality.

On a side note, there is a book at the Orem Public Library that is fascinating. It is called "Cults In Our Midst" by Margaret Singer. When i read through that, i was already less active but still had a SMALL belief in the church. But it opened my eyes COMPLETELY to the church as a complete CULT. They fit every single definition of a cult. The author is a professor, a clinical psychologist and former cult member. She knows what she's talking about and has done her research!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read or look through this book anyone and everyone!

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 12:03PM

I took the deep breaths, I counted to 10, I reminded myself the it isn't all about me etc.

I asked my RM son what he thought of the two talks that upset me so much. He confessed that he had tuned the whole meeting out after his mother sang. He was too busy making faces at the children a few pews in front of him to listen. Typical...

Later in the day an opportunity came up to talk with my wife. I was able to express my concerns and only let enough anger through that she knew it was an issue for me. She confessed that she didn't really pay attention to the talks either because she was busy catching up with the friend sitting on the other side of us. Was I the only one that even listened?!

After I explained how the talks belittled me and labeled me a loser in front of my children, my 13 y.o. daughter pipes in and says "I don't think of you that way Dad!" I asked he what she thought and she said: "I think you're awesome and cool". I'll take that as a huge compliment coming from a 13yo.

So, long story short. I was able to express my feelings without it blowing up. My children heard me point out one of the damaging aspects of the church. My wife still gave me brownie points for coming to hear her sing. I got to rant and cuss on RFM. Winners all around as far as I can tell. Thanks for the support. I love you guys.

Stunted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 12:05PM by Stunted.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:29PM

Stunted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Was I the only one that even listened?!

Many, many who remain do not know the full history of TSCC - just the sanitized propaganda version.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 12:08PM

Highly recommended. Thanks for this reference!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 12:10PM

How funny that the TBMs in your family didn't even bother listening to the stupid talks!

And as long as daughter and your family consider you “awesome and cool,” it will not matter what the ward members think.

Winners all around, indeed!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.