Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:40AM

Just curious because of the sacredness and holiness they were imbued with by church maxims.

Did you continue to wear them for a time? Discard them? Keep them in your cedar drawer? Give them away? Toss them? Worse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:43AM

The correct method of garment disposal is to throw them out of the car window while traveling on I-15 between Salt Lake and Provo.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:52AM

I raise my hand to the square and sustain this to be true.

I am assuming the statute of limitations has passed for littering and will admit that I used to hie to SLC on weekends from Provo and always either took my garments off or put them back on while driving past the Point of the Mountain. I know. Not really safe.

The last time I fled Provo as I passed the Point, well . . .

I know for a fact I'm not the only one.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:45AM

I used mine as car wash rags for a bit, but only the fully-cotton ones are any good for that.
Mostly I just tossed 'em in the trash.
They had no sacredness in them, though the ones I used to wash my car did get holey...:)

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:45AM

Same thing I did when a member. Depending on the material.

Rags

Burned

Wadding for my black powder rifle.

Nesting material for the kids rodents.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 05:20PM

Well, I threw mine in the garbage but not before I followed proper procedure by cutting out the Masonic symbols and burning them. I was no longer a believer but still kind of brainwashed. I guess I thought, JUST IN CASE.

Now I would just toss them in the trash without the silly, man-made ritual.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 07:04AM

I did the same thing. Weird, huh?

Date: September 23, 2018 09:28AM

Superstitions run deep. That was part of the indoctrination also, not to do anything sacrilegious to garments. But my goodness, they were still only underwear! When underwear wears out, what does one do but discard it? Not wait, stop and think, "Oh first I must cut out some of the symbols and burn them." That is yet another very strange superstitious ritual.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:47AM

I just threw them in the trash.

Date: September 22, 2018 04:48PM

In 200 years will they become part of an archaeological dig/find ?

:)

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:35PM

Thanks Amyjo. Almost spit my coffee. LOL

Date: September 22, 2018 05:37PM

U R welcome.

We all need a good chuckle now and then. :)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:54AM

I threw some of the out. Some, I gave to my sister.

Date: September 22, 2018 04:47PM

As long as your sister had use for them, they did not go to waste.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:58AM

It was SUCH a relief when I threw them in the garbage. Then I went out and immediately bought undies in all kinds of bright colors!

Date: September 22, 2018 05:09PM

Gemini, me thinks I would've done that too.

I love colorful, dainty underthings.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 11:04AM

Tie-dye Halloween costumes.

Date: September 22, 2018 05:11PM

I went as a nun one year, when I was 18. Then I stripped while dancing among a group of Stanford graduates, down to my shorts and t-shirt. ;) (Not because I was trying to be exotic. It was because it was so danged warm in the nun's habit!)

Afterwards, my boyfriend drove us to San Francisco to watch the Gay Parade on Market Street that night. It was my first trip to see a gay parade. Quite an event!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 05:34PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 11:14AM

Car polishing rags. The cotton garments work best for this.

After a couple polishings and washings they look tie dyed - and perfect to hang on a clothesline in full view of LDS neighbors.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 11:25AM

I was afraid to stop wearing garments even if I no longer believed. So my therapist sent me HERE to read about garments and the temple.

And so when I came here and read about garments, I tossed them. No cutting out the symbols and burning them or whatever we were supposed to do with them. I just tossed them.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 11:26AM

I went to the city dump and threw them one at a time down into the pit with all the rotten garbage. I watched the large bulldozer run over them and push them into the pile. I smiled, but I must have had some anger back then :)

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 12:09PM

I just threw them into the garbage bin. Simple and done. When my family eventually realized I had switched to sinfully supportive boxer-briefs, they asked me what I did with my extremely worn out two year old garments. They wanted to know if I had cut out the masonic symbols and properly burned them. I told them that no body cares about keeping that secret anymore because it is all over the internet anyway.

Date: September 22, 2018 04:47PM

That is probably the most effective way of cleaning out the chametz in your cupboards.

Tossing them into the burn barrel. What could be faster than that?

Posted by: Starry lost password d7edn ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 01:02PM

Burned them along with all books and materials that had any connection to TSCC.

It was Cathartic..

Date: September 22, 2018 09:28AM

That would be cathartic!

The only time I burned materials was when instructed to by the CIA for preliminary screening papers as a senior in college sending out resumes looking for a career.

It also managed to break into my apartment one day while I was away at campus or work, to go through all my papers. When I got back the deadbolt was loose on my door and looked like it had been tampered with. Other than papers looking ruffled inside, nothing else was done to the apartment. One of my neighbors told me she'd been contacted too and inquired as to my character. (Her name was of all things, and as a never MO: Alma!)

It was a very weird experience, their screening process.

I remember standing in my driveway one afternoon burning their materials for my upcoming interview. To ashes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 10:10AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The only time I burned materials was when
> instructed to by the CIA for preliminary screening
> papers as a senior in college sending out resumes
> looking for a career.
>
> It also managed to break into my apartment one day
> while I was away at campus or work, to go through
> all my papers. When I got back the deadbolt was
> loose on my door and looked like it had been
> tampered with. Other than papers looking ruffled
> inside, nothing else was done to the apartment.
> One of my neighbors told me she'd been contacted
> too and inquired as to my character. (Her name was
> of all things, and as a never MO: Alma!)
>
> It was a very weird experience, their screening
> process.
>
> I remember standing in my driveway one afternoon
> burning their materials for my upcoming interview.
> To ashes.

By "it" at the start of the second paragraph, do you mean the CIA? The CIA broke into your apartment but did such a poor job of it that you could tell the deadbolt lock had been tampered with because the bolt was "loose"? And your papers were potato chipped? (Ruffles have ridges)

Then they instructed you to burn (to ashes) "their material" before an upcoming interview?

When they contacted Alma, was it over the phone or in person?

Probably not that many college seniors applied that year, so they were able to give that kind of personal attention to each applicant. We must never underestimate the CIA.

Date: September 22, 2018 01:31PM

One of my brothers served in the highest Naval intelligence clearance for eight years. Part of his screening process was much more intense than mine was for the brief time I interviewed with CIA. They went door to door. They went to my father's place of business and spoke to my dad's co-workers, not my dad to inquire about my father, etc.

It was very intense to get a clearance for his level of security.

Same is pretty true to work for most intelligence branches of government.

When I worked for the US Treasury Department I needed a security clearance, but nothing in comparison to what the CIA demands.

The man who interviewed me on campus told me he wore many disguises, and carried a suitcase with him to change as needed for the work he did. He was semi-retired by the time he was interviewing students on college campuses, so that part of his career was behind him. It is a mostly clandestine place to work, and boring when not doing surveillance that keeps the heart rate pounding. He asked me how I'd feel blending in at diplomat meetings pretending to be one but really there as a spy? That would've been the type of assignments I was being considered for.

I babysat for a lady once in high school whose husband had been CIA. He'd been murdered as an agent. She was never told where, how, or why. She never saw his body. He just vanished. He left two young children and a widow. Not the kind of job I really aspired to. As a college graduate I was looking at whatever was available in my field.

I nearly became a California Highway Patrolwoman. Passed all of the interviews with flying colors. They saved the eye exam for last. My eyesight, without glasses, wasn't close enough to 20/20 without correction. That was in the 1980's. Lasik surgery wouldn't have counted.

Cleaning up accident or crime scenes wouldn't have suited me anyway. Not my forte.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 02:50PM

"... surveillance that keeps the heart pounding..."

Sometimes you end up laughing at things that most people don't see as humorous.

Date: September 22, 2018 03:42PM

Much of the work involved reading newspapers, for instance. In foreign countries. Just gleaning information. That is the research part of the job. Not appealing to some, I wouldn't have minded that. Looking average is an asset to work for the CIA. Not standing out. The more obscure the better.

Other questions in the psychological questionnaire involved breaking into buildings to see how incognito you can become without getting caught, working in consort with a group of other covert operators. It involved essay answers.

I never was much of a cat burglar. But it was fun trying to answer some of those questions nonetheless.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 03:55PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 01:07PM

I did the same as I would do with any old underwear -- just tossed them in the trash.

Date: September 21, 2018 01:12PM

I wonder what happened to my parents garments following their divorce?

They stopped wearing them, that much I know.

When they remarried they married Jack Mormons, then went inactive themselves.

My dad believed in parts, and discarded what he didn't. My mom? She was the convert, who remained a true blue believer til she died.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 01:39PM

If you paint them gold, then you'll look great wearing them on the outside of your pants for Halloween.

Date: September 21, 2018 01:41PM

That's a good one, messygoop!

Just don't shellac them if you want to take them off afterwards.

;-)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 03:44PM

I took the plastic bag of garments and put them in my garbage can and watched the Trash Truck dump the can into the back of the truck where it was squashed and compacted right in front of my house!

Date: September 21, 2018 03:47PM

Seeing is believing, SuzieQ! I like your moxy. :)

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 05:02AM

I did the same thing, as Susie Q.

I didn't want to bother going to the dump, but that would have been the most dramatic, appropriate way to dispose of the offensive underwear. I never want to give away Mormon junk, because I don't want to spread the evil to others. Recycling the stacks of Mormon books and papers was gratifying--maybe something was "saved", after all--a tree!

The garbage pickup was ceremoniously unceremonious. I put them underwear in the garbage with used kitty litter, a banana peel, and coffee grounds. I sipped the coffee, while watching the garbage truck. It was one of my first cups of coffee, ever, and I loved how it tasted and perked me up. In fact, the post-Mormon euphoria is still with me, over 10 years later! Vroooom! "Squash!"

Date: September 23, 2018 09:23AM

I like how you think.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 04:05PM

Dumpster. I didn't consider them worthy of any sort of ceremony, either of Mo sacredness or exMo liberation. The faster and farther they could be out of my life and mind, the better.

Date: September 21, 2018 06:15PM

I did that with some Mormon scriptures. Rather then donating them to the local Goodwill store. I didn't want to cause someone else to stumble, so I did them a favor.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:45PM

I dumpsterized all Mormon books, pamphlets, pictures, videos, CDs, DVDs. I didn't want to chance anyone else's life being damaged/destroyed. Why should garments get any better treatment? Why should I have bothered cutting out/burning the symbols? It's great when ex-Mo's thumb their noses at the LDS church's "requirements".

Date: September 22, 2018 05:14PM

That was a very smart move, Josephina.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 05:52PM

who wanted them for patterns for period costuming.

Mrs. Hela kept hers because they prevent chafing in skirts on hot days. She seldom wears them, but still has one pair.

Date: September 21, 2018 06:08PM

Those are interesting and 'useful' ways of recycling them.

My TBM grandmother was from pioneer stock. In her day garmies were ankle length and covered the arms. She was a horse trainer who could ride English side saddle. Was as comfortable in a pioneer dress as she was in riding pants.

Before she and gramps were hitched, Buffalo Bill Cody was so enamored of my grandmother that he would chase her on horseback over the Wyoming desert. My grandmother would outrun him every time. She was quite the beauty when her and gramps met. The first time he saw her she was riding English side saddle, down a Wyoming dusty trail.

He was sixteen. She was 18. It was love at first sight for grandpa. They were married two years later. They eventually solemnized their marriage vows in the Logan Temple. I love those grandparents of mine. They were 'salt of the earth' people. :)

But their garments had to be as uncomfortable as all getup!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2018 06:18PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:16PM

Bought me some nice, nonmagical undies, threw stupid garments in the garbage, flipped them off double barrel style, then closed the lid. That was my buh bye ceremony for those things.

Date: September 21, 2018 07:31PM

I really like the flipping off part. LOL.

Have style, will flip em. ;-)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:36AM

...for decades. But I have no memory of what I ever did with them. I don't remember throwing them away, burning them, washing dishes with them, making slings or hammocks out of them.... I just don't remember.

It's kind of odd because I felt really weird when I first stopped wearing them. It was a big deal and I felt very conflicted inside. My rational mind knew that they were just weird items of underwear of no significance, but my "feels" still had me worried that I was taking off my spiritual kevlar and going out naked into a dangerous world without protection.

They may be in a box in my parent's attic. That's my best guess.

Date: September 22, 2018 01:07PM

Even though I didn't go through the temple to receive my endowments because I had no desire to. Having married non-Mormons, and dated non-Mormons it just didn't materialize.

Nonetheless I harbored a superstitious belief about them for years because of the stigma attached to TR members wearing them. And what might happen to them by not wearing them.

Maybe those Masonic symbols do have some kind of magic power irrespective of Mormonism? Who knows? My never Mo grandpa was a full Mason who lived his adult life in Utah, and hated Mormons with a passion. He had to have known about Smith's plagiarizing Masonic symbols and hijacking them for LDS occult rituals.

Which would've had nothing to do with the Masonic ones, for sure.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:19AM

It's weird that Mormons, especially in the last half of the 20th century and thereafter, have so steadfastly denied the influence of Masonry on Mormonism.

I think in the early days it was very well known. The excuse was that the Masons had held on to some truths and that Joseph Smith was inspired to combine those Masonic truths with the "rest of the truth".

Brigham Young proudly wore his masonic pin in photograph/portrait sittings (later air-brushed out in some church-related publications.)

The temple garments with their square and compass markings are certainly evidence of the influences of Freemasonry.

Most Mormons don't even know that Joseph Smith had been initiated into a lodge in Illinois shortly BEFORE he got his "revelations" about the temple endowment and garments and such.

I suspect that when he learned the oaths of secrecy and associated "signs" (i.e. secret handshakes) and "penalties" he figured that they would be very helpful in keeping his special little polygamy circle motivated to keep the secret from the outside world. The garments would be a reminder to them not to spill the beans...and would also be a sign/protection vis-a-vis other members. To everyone else, they would just be slightly odd items of underwear. They're extremely odd items of underwear in modern times. But in those days, the temple garments weren't all that different in appearance from the regular underwear.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 10:16AM

I put mine in a clear garbage bag marked MORMON ACCULT UNDERWEAR, and dropped them off at GoodWill.

Date: September 22, 2018 01:11PM

At least you were transparent about it. Someone needing a bargain on garments would find one there. To buy them new was never inexpensive as I recall. My parents paid full retail each time for what I thought of as inferior underwear. Back then (60's/70's,) the material was not breathable and certainly not sexy to look at. If they've improved over time, it's because they needed to.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:36AM

Used g's? Please say it ain't so. Ewwwwwwwwww

Date: September 23, 2018 09:18AM

Goodwill sells used undies. Aren't garments really just used unders?

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:43PM

Threw them in the trash with all the other useless mormon crap.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 07:46PM

I threw mine into a brown paper grocery sack and hid them at the back of my closet for a year or two. Then I got up the nerve to put the sack of outbound trash, at the curb, and away they went.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 08:20PM

Rubbish bin. Garments and temple clothing.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 10:16PM

In front of the husband

Over flowing kitchen trash

Right when

The trash needs taking out

But when I told my husband how I felt with what I’d discovered, he said twice on his knees arms around me as I shared printouts on the desk : (name) are you sure? / twice, then he said “I was waiting for you to find out”

So throwing garments away when I would never wear them again was an affirmation to him not a rebellion against him

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 03:25AM

Since i was about same size as one of best tbm friends, I gave mine to him.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 09:29AM

I wore the bottoms for a while because mine were comfortable. I just took a seam ripper to the symbol and removed it. After that, I burned them. Fire! Yeah!

Posted by: grootheprophet ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:18PM

I donated two weeks worth to Goodwill.

First, I called my dad and my three brothers to see if they wanted them. None of them wanted them. Too bad, cause some had only been worn once or twice.

Hope that whoever bought them enjoys them as much as I didn't.

Groo

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 11:39AM

I threw mine out in the trash. Didn't bother to cut out the "sacred" symbols.

I sometimes wish that I had kept a set for reference for interested people to see. But one can easily look up a picture online, so that's not so bad.

They were uncomfortable. It was kind of weird at first when I started to wear normal underwear again. And of course you have to feel out what you like once you have a choice again.

I stopped wearing them before I stopped going to church, so wearing normal undies at church felt rebellious!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.