Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: druid ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:14PM

The 'I believe songa' was fuuunnny. This is not the kind of national attention the Church wants.

I believe....
" ....someday I will have my own planet."
".....god lives on a planet called Kolob"
"......and Jesus has his own planet to."
".......in 1974 god changed his mind about black people."
ROFLMAO

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:22PM

Okay, now this drives me crazy. God does not live ON Kolob. He lives NEAR Kolob. God's throne is NOT on Kolob. Why do people get this wrong? He lives NEAR Kolob!!! I'm not sure Kolob is even inhabitable. And Kolob is a STAR not a planet. Sheesh!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:25PM

Moroni Marten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, now this drives me crazy. God does not live
> ON Kolob. He lives NEAR Kolob. God's throne is
> NOT on Kolob. Why do people get this wrong? He
> lives NEAR Kolob!!! I'm not sure Kolob is even
> inhabitable. And Kolob is a STAR not a planet.
> Sheesh!

Yeah and God changed his mind in 1978.

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:40AM

Did you bother to listen to the performance? It would be just super duper if you did. Here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggtPHDmrR8

In fact, so you don't have to get all irritated listening to the entire thing, if you skip to the 3:00 minute mark, you can hear him say "1978," not "1974." All better now?

Regarding Kolob...
Why do the Mormons sing a hymn called "If You Could Hie to Kolob?"

Is god's home planet so far away that a rest stop at Kolob is necessary? Is Kolob an overflow area or a place where those who made the Celestial Kingdom can visit their less-worthy loved ones. Maybe it's the equivalent of a temple visitor's center where the unclean wait while their children who accepted the gospel in the afterlife get married.

This little ditty is in the Mormon hymn book. We didn't sing it often, but I do remember singing it in sacrament meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADX-He30_PA&feature=related
Here is a version by the Mo Tab choir from the April 2008 General Conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwYm_mKQ3Gs
In this video (not a church production), there are a lot of people in white milling about a la a scene from "Saturday's Warrior."

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:26PM

Like it matters. The point is it's utterly ridiculous.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 12:32AM

goldenrule Wrote:
> Like it matters. The point is it's utterly
> ridiculous.
Yes, I think we get the point.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:28AM

goldenrule Wrote:
> Like it matters. The point is it's utterly
> ridiculous.

The point is that it is errors like this that TBMs will exploit to the full.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:15AM

But the majority of mormons seems to have exactly the same mistaken idea about their own theology. And correcting this particular doctrine will only serve to make them look as nutty as they really are.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:31AM

"Shame on the musical producers for not knowing that Kolob is a star and not a planet. They need to get their facts straight."

LOL! Too funny that mormons would quibble about what kind of heavenly body the immationary Kolob is in morg doctrine.

Besides no one can "hie" to a star, which is mass of burning gas. So the mormon hymn doesn't work on several levels.

Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:27PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:49AM

That song and the singer sounds like all that Deseret Book crap music we listened to on my mission.

Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 03:37AM

@Rubicon

The music itself sounds like Contemporary Christian, slightly cheesy, but that's the point - the character singing it has never been anywhere, and he's singing this stuff as he walks into an African village. Verdi and Wagner it is not.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:35AM

Great crap, the lead on that song sounds a LOT like frickin Donny O!

G**d, I luv it!

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 12:31AM

Doesn't the information about KOLOB come from the Book of Abraham? Well, we all know where that information came from - JS 'translated' it out of thin air. So what does it matter if god lives on Kolob or near Kolob - it's all make-believe.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:25AM

is because according to the mormons, he lives on a planet NEAR Kolob. They then can say "see? it's full of untruths".

And according to the mormons, does Jebus have his own planet? I kinda thought his was yet to come.

I guess this is like debating ancient Klingon culture.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:28AM

+ 1

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:26AM

When I was a Moron, I thought that an exalted couple would eventually gather their own universe(s), etc, as they were able to manage it.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 01:23PM

over factual inaccuracies in the portrayal of Mormon beliefs and culture in this musical. Seriously, no one who has ever seen Oklahoma! thinks that the show should be taken as a completely accurate, detailed description of Oklahoma life. No one who has seen Brigadoon expects that the show is an accurate portrayal of Scottish culture, etc. If my experience in Mormonism is anywhere near the norm, Mormons love these musicals and don't run around complaining about factual inaccuracies. Why should Parker & Stone be held to an unrealistic standard that doesn't apply to any other musical ever made?

Additionally, Mormons mistakenly think that "The Book of Mormon Musical" is all about them. It's not. There's a bigger, more universal story there and the factual realities of Mormonism aren't all that important to it.

They just don't get it.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: June 12, 2011 11:35PM

Did anyone else see Neil Patrick Harris' opening song, Broadway-it's not just for gays anymore? Grade-A, utterly hysterical!

And then I promptly fell asleep and missed the rest of the show . . .

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:22AM

Just the opposite, I turned on the TV just as he was doing his closing rap overview of the show. Also entertaining and hilarious. If the middle lived up to the beginning and the end, it must have been a heck of a show.

Posted by: NYNeverMo ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:41AM

During the performance, my partner turned to me and asked if all this was really true....I told him sadly, it was. I think more people will be googling information about the church and probably be shaking their heads at the information they read. Most people think it's Donny and Marie and apple pie....little do they know..

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:01AM

The show went on to win NINE Tony Awards. Right on!

I sure hope more and more people will Google about TSCC and find how fucked up the COB et al and all its manmade shit made it that way.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:22AM

Kolob is a terrace near the northwestern edge of Zion National Park. I'm sure that's what the mormons meant, right?

It is a nice place, quite majestic when not overrun by mormon Boy Scouts who leave a ton of trash in their wake.

Kind of cold in the winter, though. Maybe it's the place we'll hie to when global warming takes better hold.

Loved, loved the line in the awards show when they loudly announced: "And the Tony goes to the Book of Mormon!" Yep, recognized and praised as fiction, as comedy, as musical comedy.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 12:35PM

At least it was, until the Mormons changed their doctrine and closed it down:

http://www.cedarcitypictures.com/2009/06/kolob-motorsports.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 12:36PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:31AM

It wasn't until I got looking carefully at the scriptures that I saw it's the place closest to where God lives. I believe one of the Osmond albums had an artist's depiction of Kolob and they said it's where God lives.

Mormons are good at correcting other people, but they have a tendency to get their own religion wrong. Not that they ever talk about Kolob anymore. Kolob? What's that?

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:36AM

I just don't think many TBMs know how a lot of people 'see' their religion...

and many, I'm sure, think this is a "great and spacious building" moment....bolstering either their victim status or their arrogance

and "Go Mavs"

Posted by: Maggie ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 01:31PM

And in the end they are singing their own song and dancing their own dance. No one else is. OMG that was WHAT I did for 33 *^%$## years.

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:16PM

Holy crap, just listened to all these for the first time. I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Hasa Diga Eebowai is my favorite.

Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:46PM

Thank Kolob gods for the 1st Amendment in America.

What a way to send a msg to the world about Mormonism.

I have got to see this Musical.

Guaranteed to crack you up laughing your former tbm ass off.

My fav song - JS American Moses.

Last few lines;

Fuck your woman
Fuck your man
It is all part of Gods plan
Shit come outta da butt
Jesus says, Fuck, Fuck, Mormons!!!!

Posted by: janet ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:20AM

clap and shout and laugh at the Tony's award show. Loved it, BOM got 9 awards including Best Musical.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.