Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:21PM

I chuckle to myself when I see my TBM siblings posting on Facebook on Sundays. If the Internet had existed when we were kids it would've been off limits at least until Sunday evening when we were allowed to watch Disney, Bonanza, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:26PM

IMHO the keeping the sabbath day holy has become noyhing more than another mind control tactic!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:37PM

How exactly does ghawd want his beloved children, about whom he is constantly, unceasingly fretting over, to behave on the Seventh Day? Where is that complete list of do's and don'ts written?

Then there is the issue of how long a week is... It is a complete conceit to suppose that the ghawd who created the entire universe told his children to use a seven day week.

The vagaries of the solar v. sidereal year are interesting and display a remarkable lack of order!

I think, in my heart of hearts, that people be making shit up!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 09:49PM

Okay, but how many saints does God have on his dashboard? Hydraulics disabled of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2018 09:51PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:52PM

The sabbath is saturday

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:54PM

I'm still laughing about the ones in EQ that would record a major sporting event aka "Super Bowl" then brag about watching it on Monday night. All in the name of being the most uber-righteous TBM.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 02:59PM

Hey, that's smart! Gather the family 'round, say an opening prayer and, voila, you've got Family Home Evening covered!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 03:02PM

Too many rules and too much intrusion! One more Mormon thing I ditched. Everyday is a good day that I am alive!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:17PM

That's exactly the word, an intrusion. Why should any deity let alone another human care how another person goes about one particular day in their week?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:21PM

Remember, this is the same deity that cared whether you blended the fibers of your clothing or kept your foreskin.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:23PM

Also same dude who claimed to be the only God ever to exist, only to go on to talk about how he gets really jealous of other gods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2018 04:24PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 08:48PM

This appears to be strong logic, but what undeniable fact proves it is a bad assumption?

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 08:30PM

I always shot it full of holes.

All moments
In all my days
Are sacred-holy

Date: September 23, 2018 09:35PM

Your brain of reason figured out what the purpose of the Sabbath is. Children cannot think with thoughts. They were to do activities that did not involve working to make money. It was to be a trained habit in children because they are to be programed by the parents to rest one day a week and learn how to use reason to make everyday a peaceful day, or as you say, a holy day.

When God said to teach the children of Israel certain ideas, He meant just what He said--to teach the children and not the adults. The adults are to use individual reason to learn and not the pyramid structures of authority on earth. The sabbath wasn't to go to church to be emotional charged by out friends to have the emotional feelings destroyed by work on Monday to be "recharged" on Saturday or Sunday. We can still go to Church to be emotional lifted up by our friends, but that is not the purpose of the Sabbath.

Everyone posting on the board demonstrates that the Sabbath is not taught correctly to the masses. They figured out the truth by reason and not by the pyramid structures of authority.

Watching TV is one of the best ways to engage the mind without working.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 07:48AM

You don't have children, do you

Date: September 24, 2018 11:50AM

I have 7 children. Children are programable, but adults are not. Children and babies are not supposed to be spanked, ever. It activates Satan created in them because of the pain. They are trained to be afraid of the power and authority of the parents rather than to think with a clear mind. Then children are trained to act with fear of power, rather than fearing to displease the parents. More than any other motivation, children love their parents and want to please them. The power trip of parents teaches the wrong principles. Children who are seriously abused by parents can find the State as a more reasonable parent. They are attracted to the reason, not the power.

Spare the rod and spoil the child has been perverted by religions to teach parents to spank their children without using proper discipline of taking away the child's power or privileges as a family member. The society is moving away from spankings by using reason. The "rod" is reason and truth to correct the children, or they will become spoiled.

Stephen Covey stepped out of the religious paradigms to apply the principles of truth, and he used reason and found more freedom of thought outside the LDS Church. His model of dependence to independence to interdependence is a groundbreaking paradigm for raising children to manage the process of growth and use the mind properly.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 08:53PM

I stayed home from Sacrament occasionally to watch Disney on ABC.

My family would go off without me. Disney was something I really looked forward to. Albeit I had to feign illness, because if I'd felt well then would've been dragged off to church rain or shine.

Now I worship on Saturdays. Change your religion, change your life.

;-)

Date: September 23, 2018 09:43PM

Do not take this wrong, but your post proves my point. Watching TV and lying was better than following a self-righteous idea about the Sabbath and its purpose. Watching TV gets the mind off work, doesn't it?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 10:25PM

It still is an escape from routine.

I enjoy watching tv. My dad and stepmom watched it quite a bit as they got older. Now that I'm getting there myself, it is preferable to some of the running around I used to like to do.

Still love activities. There's nothing like a good movie or show to remind you there's a bigger world out there.

Reading books did that for me as a child growing up on a farm. I could escape into a world outside of the Mormon bubble by reading. Reading opened up the world to me. :)

There were times I faked being sick to stay home from school too. Once it worked so well I decided to do it two days in a row. Mom got so worried about me she took me to the ER to get me checked. The doctor diagnosed me with having Scarlet Fever. The blush I'd put on my face from mom's cosmetic drawer I was sure he was going to wipe it off. Instead he quarantined me for two weeks at home. I couldn't even leave the house to go play outside. That was quite a punishment, but he didn't disclose my secret to my mom that I was feigning illness.

Years later when I recounted that to my mom she was in disbelief. I have learned from having my own children where my gray hairs came from! :D

I love love love going to worship services now where I currently attend. I went initially for the prayer services. Ended up staying for the community. My synagogue has become my church family. God is good. :)

Date: September 24, 2018 12:15PM

As a child, I did the same thing to a doctor and stayed home from school faking a sore throat. He gave me some medicine. I have learned doctors trust what you tell them and then give you what they think you need. I resonate with your treating the church as a community rather than trying to find the truth of the doctrines in the Bible. We can do our own reading and studying to figure things out.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 09:48PM

Why did you change your religion ? Are you confused ?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 09:22PM

As usual, this concept has been turned from a blessing into a cudgel.

It was originally imposed to guarantee a weekly break for one's employees/slaves/handmaids. To make it stick, it had to be claimed as coming from God himself. Then over the centuries it became a rule by which one might appease a fickle God. And so we come to modern Mormonism, in which the Sabbath/Sunday is a yardstick against which Mormons judge each other.

Australia has strict laws about Sunday hours for retail establishments. It has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with the original intent of Sabbath proscriptions, which was to limit exploitation of workers by their bosses.

But I bet you will never hear that part in Mormon General Conference.

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 06:24AM

Speaking of General conference, do Mormon camera men and video experts work that Sunday? Or, do they hire non-Mormon technicians? Or, if technicians work for FREE on Sunday, that is OK? Who makes the meals for the apostles? Do they grab lunch at City Creek Mall? I guess the conference center janitors are all volunteer.... I don't see how this fits into the Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy thing.

I love my career, and when I was a Mormon, the weekdays were, for me, a time to recuperate from the grind of Sunday callings, and the despair from those depressing talks. I looked forward to Mondays! (When my kids were older, in school, had jobs, and were busy, themselves)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 09:58AM

I am fairly sure that church members are hired as camera operators. I also believe that they are compensated for working Sundays.

I believe SB shared that there is a catered buffet awaiting for GA's and their families.

I am going out on a wild guess that the church offices, and public visitor center are still cleaned by a janitorial service. I think the church would be embarrassed if they relied on members to clean high-traffic, public places. (The inside of temples and chapels do not have a high rate of non-member visitors).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 10:01AM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.