Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 04:35AM

If there is one constant I see in Mormons when you tell them the church is an unfortunate fraud they get angry. You would think people who are closer to god than the rest of us would not be so angry. You would think they would respect our free will and happily wish us well on our life's journey and remind us they will be there for us if we change our minds or want to know more. Very few Mormons do this. They get angry and defensive.

In my experience with people over the years I have noticed people who live a lie get defensive and angry. Notice how angry Bill Clinton was when he told us he did not have sex with that woman. You see it in politicians all the time when they lie. They act offended and angry and try to pass the blame on the person who asked the question. Mormons are no better.

People at peace with themselves and their beliefs don't get angry. They are happy and really don't care if others don't see the universe the same way. Only miserable, liars respond angry.

I think deep down inside these so called True Believing Mormons are jealous of our happiness and freedom while they try to justify their misery. In fact, when the thought of them being duped enters their mind, they get even more angry because let's face it, wasting your life for a lie is just a life shattering reality. I think many are too scared to look further knowing they will find the truth and it's easier to live the lie than to find out and have to do something about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 08:56AM

I've sort of seen Mormons to be extremely insecure about their faith. It isn't just the tough issues that upset them, but *anything.* If someone doesn't think Mormons and Mormonism are just the best things EVAR, it's seen as "anti" and the defenses go up. I suppose that can fall in line with the lie except most Mormons are unaware of the lie. Their testimony is, however, forever on shaky ground.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:00AM

and that they look like fools. I think you right that this explains much of their defensieness.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:08AM

I think I always knew I couldn't defend it that is why I really never associated with people outside of the church. I didn't want to look stupid when they asked me things I couldn't answer. One of the many things that made me get out was my oldest child-11yrs. She is very smart and very inquisitive. Time after time she would have these questions about things that she had learned that didn't make sense. I felt like I was lying to her when I would make up explanations and I could see how confused she was walking away. She TRUSTED me as her mother to tell her the truth and I was only perpetuating a lie. I have seen how over the years she has almost reached the point of "blind faith". What have I done? I have robbed her of what will keep her truly on the straight and narrow in life. I have robbed her of her decision making abilities of thinking for herself. I am so glad that I can start being honest with her before it sabotages her "good years" like it did mine. Who wants to feel nothing but GUILT for 30 years for no good reason. Plus mormons really just want numbers because if you have numbers you aren't the minority freak shows having to defend yourselves. Everyone can co-exist in a delusional state without having to defend untruths and nonsensical things.

Posted by: cl2zip ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:13AM

And I know that many of my friends feel that "if she lost her beliefs and she was so devout, what does that mean for me?"

As for many family members, it was more, "you've given me permission to not believe."

Posted by: John Taylor ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 01:42PM

Of course they know they are on shaky ground.

If it were not so, why on earth would they be continually in fear of losing their testimony? Only among fellow believers can they receive the continual affirmation that what they believe is true. And believe me, TSCC is all about continual affirmation.

Was Einstein in fear of losing his testimony of relativity?
Is a math professor in fear of suddenly finding out that 2+2 does not equal 4?
Is a building contractor in fear of finding out that a hammer will not pound nails?

It is B.S. and they suspect that it is. They know that they cannot show any evidence for the truthfulness of their wild claims so they attack the messenger and pull farther into their bubble.

JT

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 01:48PM

Mormons believe that their leaders are inspired by Gawd. Therefore, they can never be wrong or ever do harm.

If you imply, in even the mildest of terms, that TSCC leaders are sometimes wrong or do sometimes harm people with their statements and policies, then the true TBM must find a way to discredit or dismiss you. THey quickly to to personal attacks because they can't really deal in the facts of the situation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.