Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 01:20PM

He's a good friend of mine whom I have known for years, active in the LDS Church and solidly devout. He's also quite savvy as to how the world outside Mormonism works, being an accomplished professional in his field and a world traveler, to boot.

He was in New York City on business and decided one evening to go by himself to see the musical, where he sat front and center.

He reported to me that it was absolutely hilarious, that it was great, that the music was fantastic, that the script was very well and astutely written, and that he highly recommended it to me.

His most perceptive comment (and eat your heart out, Mormons, who think you can somehow spin this Tony award-winning production to your church's PR advantage):

He told me it was a guarantee that non-Mormons who see the production will not only find it entertaining, smart and funny, but will, as a result of having seen it, not want to join the Mormon Church.

:)

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 03:10PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:27PM

did you read some of those comments on DNews about how this musical will just make people want open up and read the BoM?

They truly have no clue as to how ridiculous I Believe makes moism sound.

The Tonys could not have picked a more catastrophic song from the show. This song skewers any shreds of respectability that nonmo's may have had for Kolobians.

Kolobian Kryptonite indeed.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 02:27PM

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 03:44PM

...have no problem with stuff like this. Some of Sunstone's earlier publications outside the magazine were your colleague Cal Grodahl's great comic books like Freeway to Perfection, etc. Great parody and humor from a sympathetic angle...but I don't see anything like it out there now.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 04:07PM

Oh, you are SO right on Steve, this show will be the death of missionary work in any country advanced enough to know anything of this play.

And the song they did was perfect, "I Believe", because it was absolutely true, 100%, and yet it portrayed just a few of the most ridiculous things mo's believe. ( I LOVE the line about mo's believing the garden of eden being in Jackson Co. Missouri!)

NO one that hears that song will ever consider taking the mormon's seriously, NEVER!

But they WILL probably think they have good imaginations and senses of humor and will know they do not need to be fearful of them. They will see mormonism for the joke it honestly is. JS really did pull off a big one, did he not? He certainly had me fooled for the greater part of my life!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 04:09PM by think4u.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.