Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GadiantonRobber ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 03:15PM

In other words, you're smarter and will most likely be more successful if you served a mission. Gag...

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_25/b4233058977933_page_6.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Flying Under the Radar ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 03:56PM

Looks like I really f***** up when I dodged the mission bullet. Typing that made me laugh my ass off. As much as I don't like the church, if I had gone on a mission, I would really be pissed off.

Posted by: Church Enemy ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:54PM

I wonder if a Mormon wrote that article.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've heard similar things as such throughout the years.

You know, "Mormons are prosperous", "Serving an honorable mission will grant you a golden ticket to prosperity and happiness", "Those two years will be the greatest years of your life", etc.

But looking back, I think that serving a mission and in some cases getting a random college degree (art history, human development, etc.) is overrated and a waste of time.

Posted by: truthseeker176 ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 08:38PM

To get ahead in this world you have to be a get a long/ go a long kiss ass. The Mormon Church being the ultimate corporation, is excellent training for those who can stomach the dishonesty, image and appearances. In the meantime this sociey collapses as the real business moves to China.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:09PM

Lot's of returned missionaries come home and amount to nothing. My nephew comes to mind. He has done nothing since he has returned home. He's basically a burger flipper that lives with mom and dad.

I can't think of a mission really building up anybody. The leaders were leaders before they even got on the mission. The followers still follow. The unstable go more nuts on the mission. I pretty much think missions are burning time in the twilight zone more than anything.

Posted by: Lindi ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:19PM

The article has a point. Many great businesspeople have a sociopathic side to them. Missions definitely bring out the narcissistic, win-at-all-cost, "you know better than they do" attitude.
I went on a mission because I thought I would be able to really serve people and make the world a better place. What a fool I was. I was taught how to sell a crappy product, block out my conscience, and work like a machine.
I can honestly say my mission made me a better business person. What it did not do was make me a better person. I'm still trying to recover from the programming.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:58AM

They all appeared to have had consciences but, maybe not. They were ALWAYS so attentive and compassionate.Or so it seemed. Even when I'd committed and cancelled twice they almost didn't leave me alone for a time, but, eventually they did. They didn't appear to mind if i'd changed my mind. All except one incident where a tear came out and it was stated "Satan changed your mind"

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 06:17AM

.........produce leaders in the used car trade

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.