Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 03:41PM

Did you see the performance of the song "I Believe" on the Tony Award Show last night? I was so very glad they chose that song, where everthing in it was a true but absolutely ridiculous belief of mormons. If you have not listened to that song, you really must. It is really, really funny. But what makes it so funny is that there is a religion in REAL life that honestly believes these things.

There was one other award the BOM musical got that just hit me soooo funny. It was an award for the best book made into a broadway musical. All the books nominated were novels, all except for the BOM, and of course the BOM really is a novel of sorts, at least that is what came across to me clearly as what the world thinks of it, and then it WON!!! I mean the BOM is the most boring book in the world, so I can only think it won because it "pretends" to be really true, and that makes it funny. ( This paragraph is a MISTAKE on my part, you can see me corrected below, so don't get too upset)

The days of missionary success are OVER in any country advanced enough to be aware of this musical-- it is just ONE HUGE mockery of mormon beliefs. They are pretty darn funny, when you think about it!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 08:34PM by think4u.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 04:11PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggtPHDmrR8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 04:11PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 04:35PM

I saw it last night.

It was funny!

I loved the warlord, going goodness I have seen it all now!

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:17PM

had a few hundred views. Now it shows almost 35,000! LOLOL

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:36PM

At present 1355 likes and 20 dislikes = 98.5% like. I wonder who the 1.5% are..... LOL.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:26PM

I'm crying I laughed so hard. And the Warlord MADE that piece! The look on his face, his body language, he was GREAT! (The lyrics were great too.)

And I agree, I think this particular song, at least, was pretty kind to the missionaries. Pointing out the conflict they have to be feeling and revealing some of the self talk that I KNOW they indulge in (unless they're just going through the motions like some of you have told us they did on their missions).

:D

Posted by: Libretto ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 04:43PM

think4u wrote:

"There was one other award the BOM musical got that just hit me soooo funny. It was an award for the best book made into a broadway musical. All the books nominated were novels, all except for the BOM, and of course the BOM really is a novel of sorts, at least that is what came across to me clearly as what the world thinks of it, and then it WON!!!"

You dolt, "book" in reference to a musical is the story script that forms the basis of the show. In this case, "book" does not refer to Joe Smith's BofM, but refers rather to the story script about the missionaries written by Parker & others.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:11PM

You are correct with the story/script being referred to as a book, for the award.

Did you have to sound like a complete assbag when correcting think4u? I did appreciate the acceptance speech congratulating Ole Joe Smith.

Date: June 13, 2011 08:27PM

It's okay, I really did not get that. Thanks for the correction.

I have never watched the Tony's before, so this is new to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 08:48PM by think4u.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:44PM

Libretto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You dolt

You doo-doo head. What are you, thirteen?

Date: June 13, 2011 11:12PM

Thanks summer, I sometimes just don't get something, and apparently that makes some people very upset. Won't make THAT particular mistake again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 11:28PM by think4u.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 04:43PM

This whole exposure of the B of M is making the J-dubs look legit..

..agreed everyone is laughing 'cept the MO.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:11PM

IMHO, the Morg will have to distance itself from the BoM ASAP.

In 5 years:

"I don't know that we taught that as scripture, it's just one of many books in our library."

"Kolob? Just more anti stuff, pay no attention."

LOL

Date: June 13, 2011 11:26PM

lol seriously here. I can just hear it: "The BOM? Well we don't really teach that anymore. Our new prophet, Pres. Oaks, has said out with the old and in with the new, and you DO know that we ONLY follow the current prophet!" haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 11:27PM by think4u.

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:19PM

I think the musical was more, well, affectionate, about Mormons than exmos may perceive.

Sure the Mormon missionaries are lampooned, but it is a surprisingly friendly spear with a lot more depth than simply laughing AT Mormons. The song writers seem to really get and empathize with the underlying humanity, albeit with an unflinching eye to delusion.

In some ways it reminded me of Mormon missionary plays etc., except in 3D (the reality dimension) rather than 2D myth.

Date: June 13, 2011 08:51PM

I really do not see the lyrics of the songs as affectionate to mormons in anyway; to me it seemed like pure and very intentional mockery. Just my opinion.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:18PM

Mårv Fråndsen Wrote:
> I think the musical was more, well, affectionate,
> about Mormons than exmos may perceive.
>
> Sure the Mormon missionaries are lampooned, but it
> is a surprisingly friendly spear with a lot more
> depth than simply laughing AT Mormons. The song
> writers seem to really get and empathize with the
> underlying humanity, albeit with an unflinching
> eye to delusion.
>
> In some ways it reminded me of Mormon missionary
> plays etc., except in 3D (the reality dimension)
> rather than 2D myth.

From reviews I have read, the critics seem to agree with you. I haven't seen it or downloaded the music, but if you are honest, lots of religious beliefs, in cluding mainstream ones, look ridiculous to outsiders.I think some posters may be going a bit to far in their analysis or the play and its intent.

Date: June 13, 2011 11:18PM

Good point there, and you may be right, because all religious belief seems to pretty much boil down to magical thinking, when you really step back and take a good look.

Maybe mormons are more mainstream they even thought. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out, but it would seem to me that though mormons may be tolerated better, convert baptisms will drop way off. Just me thinking outloud.

Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:20PM

Maybe this musical is what many have been hoping for.

Thank you Matt and Trey for giving the Mormon church the middle finger.

Payback is a bitch huh President Monson!!!!

South Park creators get a standing ovation from me.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:42PM

Link:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700143744/Is-the-Book-of-Mormon-musical-accurate-satire.html

The only thing Matt and Trey got wrong were minor logistics. Like how mission calls are issued. That's not doctrine, changes often, and is inconsequential. Everything else is pretty much spot-on. They got a few minor things wrong. Like that Kolob is technically the star near the place God dwells, not the actual place he dwells. So what? That's just splitting hairs.

Then they say, "yah huh there were 11 witnesses!" Yes there were. Many of whom recanted and most admitted they never saw the plates with their physical eyes. You can find it in their damn journals. They saw them in a vision with "spiritual eyes." If you're going to correct the history correct it with the whole story else you're no more credible.

Anyway I think the spin department is having a hard time coming up with a good way to spin this one. Look at how many likes the BoM Musical has compared to dislikes on YouTube.

No publicity is bad publicity? I doubt Weiner, Tiger Woods, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, OJ Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, or the late Michael Jackson would agree with that. There is very much such a thing as bad publicity.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:44PM

Penn Jillette gave a great review of this musical, which someone else linked previously which did a fantastic job of describing what is so beautiful about this play: It thoroughly mocks the church itself while totally loving the people.

I see it as a corollary of "love the sinner, hate the sin" but unlike the majority of people who claim that, Parker and Stone actually managed it.

Date: June 13, 2011 11:21PM

Your words there are right on- thanks for sharing that- a total mockery of mormonism while showing love to the mormon people. I think that is a good thing.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:35PM

Maybe the BOM will be shoved back under the rock the salamander toad barfed it out from under.

(Man that's a lot of preps!) bad writing hello...

Can't wait to see the play, I think it will do huge damage to Mitt and the cult.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:27PM

The best Catholic jokes usually come from Catholics. They are good at laughing at criticism and rolling with it. Still (weirdly to me, anyway) it doesn't seem to faze them when it comes to still wanting to be Catholic.

I think Mormons will begin doing the same. They will need to get over being hypersensitive and laugh at Mormon jokes. Will it make them distance themselves from Mormonism? I don't suspect so. Like with the Catholics, the criticism could somehow endear the religion to them even more.

Many Catholics don't seem to be embarrassed about, for example, the Eucharist supposedly literally becoming the flesh and blood of Christ no matter how silly everyone else thinks that is. I think Mormons will simply brush off their crazy beliefs and laugh at themselves.

In a way, the musical has helped Mormonism say, "Yeah, we have some silly beliefs. So what. So does everyone else." It's a step toward religious maturity, IMO.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:41PM

Posted by: Harmony ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:42PM

The only people joining the church are the poor and the uneducated. Theatre people are more sophisticated than they are religious.

But I do like the way all the critics are pointing out the mockery, sometimes in their headlines. That does make the church look bad even in the news. Of course the mo's will be crying "persecution". And even if the show is sympathetic to the people, it does make them look pretty naive. Hopefully the country doesn't want a naive president.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:55PM

Harmony Wrote:
> The only people joining the church are the poor
> and the uneducated. Theatre people are more
> sophisticated than they are religious.

I'm sorry, but there **are** people with higher educations & who are doing OK financially who are still being brainwashed. Yes, not as many as there used to be, but these are people that the Kolobians hit at their weakest times - death in the family, divorce, other major negative life changing events.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:48PM

Maybe mormons think all the mockery is a fulfillment of the great-and-spacious-biulding phenomenon...people are mocking it to mask their contempt for "the truth" because they love sin...

...when in reality quite conscientious, egalitarian, and fair-minded people are DEEPLY offended by the gross frontal insults to their sense of truth, because mormonism is a travesty.

They're just being POLITE by laughing, because the travesties of mormonism are no laughing matter.

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:04AM

Yes, I love that song. It shows how freaking nutty LDS beliefs are.

I used to think no religion could get nuttier than Mormonism, but then I learned about Scientology.

Then I took a good look at Catholicism in which I was raised. holy hell, that is as kooky as Mormonism and Scientology put together.

Religions are all wacky. But yes, I love to laugh at Mormonism. The song was fantastic.

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:14AM

was there any reason for being so rude?

I do not want to know you IRL. You sound mean.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.