Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:21PM

The BBC just aired a very powerful documentary, with Sir Terry Pratchett following 2 men to Switzerland [to the 'Dignitas' clinic] and talking to them as they prepared to end their lives.

They had to travel to Switzerland as assisted suicide is legal there. If they had stayed in the UK, their loved ones could well have been arrested and charged with assisting a suicide

The second of the 2 men - Peter, who suffered from Motor Neurone disease - allowed the camera crew to film him as he took the final medicine that ended his life.

This was a very dignified documentary and Terry Pratchett - who has Alzheimers - lent a very forceful voice to the film.

As I have gone from being a christian and being a TBM, and finally now, as an atheist (and as I have become older), my view of death has changed and I think I am more accepting of the right to die than anytime before.

I wonder if the control, that religions assert over people, has clouded our view of people's rights..... in particular the right of people to determine their own destiny..... what's your view?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Winklebottom ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:27PM

I always found it odd, that we euthanize animals that are suffering, even though they can't give consent. Yet, when a human who is suffering a horrible disease asks to die, we deny them and criminalize anyone who would help.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 06:11PM

people who have committed heinous crimes are executed (in many states) by lethal injection, which is a pretty gentle way to have your life ended. While on the other hand, good, stalwart citizens ravaged with cancers or motor neuron disease are forced to endure to the bitter, painful end. They can't even have the relatively painless death given to a murder-rapist.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:35PM

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I definitely believe that religion is the reason assisted suicide is not legal in this country and most others.

Most religions, especially Christianity, do not approve of suicide because of the belief that God gives you life so only God can end life. Since most politicians are Christian, our laws reflect that beleif.

I completely disagree with that belief. If it's determined that you have a medical condition that cannot be effectively treated and your prognosis will only get worse, then you should have the option to end your life. To have others who are perfectly healthy, and would never be able to understand the suffering you are going thru, tell you that you have to continue to suffer- is just cruel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 05:37PM by brett.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 05:44PM

brett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Most religions, especially Christianity, do not
> approve of suicide because of the belief that God
> gives you life so only God can end life.

Unless you committed a horrible crime. Or in some cases, if they THINK you've committed a horrible crime. Then it's okay for the state to make the decision when you die.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:16PM

On the other hand, I would hope that safeguards would be in place to give some protection to those who are experiencing temporary issues rather than terminal issues. In other words, I would hope that if it became legal to kill oneself that we would do all we can as a society to protect those who are depressed (which is treatable in most cases) from making decisions when they are not of "sound mind". But I know that when my end is nigh I'm not going to want to drag it out. (Of course I'm hoping strongly for a quick heart attack and good bye -- easier for all of us.)

:)

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 06:05PM

I am so sorry to hear that. For him as well as my own selfish reasons. ABout 5 years ago I met Neil Gaiman who said that both of them wanted to do a sequel to Good Omen's they just never had found the time when both were free to do it. Guess that means no sequel.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:37PM

This truly is a sad fact.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 06:57PM

I have no objection whatsover...

But there are THOUSANDS of really cool, painless, exciting ways to die that you don't need anyone's help with.

There are also THOUSANDS of really chill, painless, mellow ways to die that you don't need anyone's help with.

This is just one of those things where the fact that it's illegal in certain countries doesn't really matter. It's not like you can be punished for committing suicide. Jesus did it, and they made him a god!!!

Posted by: fatuesday ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:17PM

mother's fertility pills, insulin, all sorts of stuff, so drugs to help us die should be ok

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.