Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wjexmo ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 09:05PM

The church is going to a ton of advertising in NYC in response the overwhelming success of the Book Of Mormon musical

Plans to buy
-Many Big Electronic Signs
-Cab TV ads in 11,800 cabs
-Many Subway Signs

If they think they are going to convert people on the heels of the BOM musical, they are out of their #$#@ minds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:02PM

...they will conclude that their former ignorance of Mormonism was bliss, compared to what they discover about it.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:08PM

of the ad campaigns? I'd love to know what cities they target. It doesn't seem to have rolled out to a lot places yet.

Most people in NY will glance at the signs and assume it's an ad for the musical. Stone and Parker will be the clear winners. Again.

Date: June 13, 2011 11:46PM

Supposedly it's targeted right on Broadway, it was just announced today. It will roll out very soon

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:07AM

then hop on a bus across the park to 5th ave at least once a week. I'll let you know what I see..

out

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:11AM

She works in midtown Manhattan and goes all over Manhattan for her job.

Her dad is Mormon, and I used to be, so she knows TONZ about the LDS church.

We saw the show together and she couldn't stop laughing.

I'll report back when I know more. Sounds like outofutah has the inside track. (no pun intended) :-)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:36AM

Seriously. Out of their minds.

No one is going to call their numbers, listed on those ads. Most will think they are ads for the musical. Others will be repelled, rather than inspired. If the ads trigger some people to search the web for more info, the people will soon find the truth about the corp.

They will be more than canceled out. People are going to be singing songs from the musical when the mishies try to talk to them. This will not work well for LDSInc.

I'm a Mormon, and I believe...

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:31PM

No kidding, "ring", door opens, "We are mormon missionaries and we believe..........." "SLAM! Are these people for real?"

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:54AM

This sounds like more of an attempt to offset the negative (poking fun at Mormonism) with a campaign designed to lesson the speculation.

I would be absolutely staggered if the ad campaign produced a single convert to the Church.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 07:09AM

Currently live and work in Manhattan. Will be watching for it. Will the ads win any awards?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:49AM

It's because of shit like this that I don't tithe.

Along with the $4 BILLION mall, bailing out Beneficial Life for $600 million, $62 MILLION for water rights at Saratoga Springs, UT, $100 MILION for that hotel in Hawaii, the two hunting ranches in Utah where clients pay up to $8,000 to hunt, and so forth and so on.

Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:58PM

I live in Jersey but commute to the city about once a week. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:16PM

Part of the mormon ad campaign is to have mormons (alone, or in partnership with other writers) gin up articles for newspapers and magazines. The recent "Mormons Rock!" article in Newsweek is good example.

Then we have the article in the Washington Post by mouthpiece Michael Otterson (closed thread on this: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,216554 )

My thoughts on Michael Otterson's article (with repeat of link from previous thread):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/why-i-wont-be-seeing-the-book-of-mormon-musical/2011/04/14/AFiEn1fD_blog.html

Why would the Washington Post print a review by a guy who thinks it's a virtue to refuse to see the broadway production he is reviewing? Even for the "On Faith" section of the newspaper, that's a breach of their standards.

Otterson writes:
"...According to the reviews, the play sketches the journey of two Mormon missionaries from their sheltered life in Salt Lake City to Uganda, where their training and life experience proves wholly inadequate to the realities of a continent plagued by poverty, AIDS, genital mutilation and other horrors. While extolling the musical for its originality, most reviewers also make reference to the play’s over-the-top blasphemous and offensive language."

Yes, Michael, other reviewers mention the language because it's funny, and because it's a continuation of the South Park style, and not because they think it's blasphemous.

--------------
"Dealing with parody and satire is always a tricky thing for churches."

Because they have no sense of humor when it comes to their religion.

----------
"We can easily appear thin-skinned or defensive, and churches sometimes are. A few members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who have seen this musical and blogged about it seem to have gone out of their way to show how they can take it. That’s their choice. There’s always room for different perspectives, and we can all decide what to do with our free time."

Damn! Way to passive-aggressively condemn your fellow mormons who chose to see the musical comedy! This my friends, is typical mormon-speak and typical church pressure to conform.

--------
"But I’m not buying what I’m reading in the reviews. Specifically, I’m not willing to spend $200 for a ticket to be sold the idea that religion moves along oblivious to real-world problems in a kind of blissful naiveté."

Maybe he hasn't had a lot of interaction lately with mormon missionaries? Holy crap, you don't suppose he's thin-skinned and defensive?

Michael Otterson then goes on to list all the good things mormons have done in the past seven years (same time period during which the writers and producers of "Book of Mormon" were wasting their time writing a parody -- see what he did there?).
Of course, he will tell you that about 4 million people in Africa have been helped over the past 7 years by mormons, etc. What he doesn't tell you is that the Church has leveraged a relatively small amount of good works into a huge PR campaign while simultaneously spending billions (yes, billions) building a mall in Salt Lake City.

Good going, mormons, for doing good works ... but your good works are itty-bitty compared to your real estate, ranching, water rights, insurance, and other commercial enterprises. And, anyway, why would you conclude that because you did that stuff for 7 years the gay! ex-mormon writing the "Book of Mormon" would be better off working for the church in Africa? Why can't both good works and Broadway plays go on simultaneously?

A careful reader will also note that many of the good works Michael Otterson lists as pluses on the mormon side are, by his own admission, in "partnership" with others. Anyone skimming the article will come away with the impression the mormons did it all, but health care professionals in Africa did most of the work. You can't claim 126,000 restorations or improvements of sight without quantifying your degree of "partnership" and be taken seriously. Unless you are the mouthpiece of the master dissemblers in the LDS Church.

Otterson also states that 52,000 Africans have been trained in neonatal resuscitation, which is true. And then he goes on to conclude: "Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for Mormons in Africa." See what he did there? He phrased that in such a way that gullible readers will allow mormons to take credit for all 52,000 of the trained persons. Michael Otterson does not reveal how much of that training can be credited to the mormons. What's a "big project" for the LDS Church? We don't know. Could be one guy, one time, could be hundreds of people helping over 7 years. Could be funds given once to the people doing the training. We don't know, and that's Otterson's intention.

-------
"The danger is not when people laugh but when they take it seriously – if they leave a theater believing that Mormons really do live in some kind of a surreal world of self-deception and illusion."

Perish the thought.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 04:40PM

Ok hear me out.

You know damn well that the leadership in the COB wanted to know EXACTLY what was in the musical. They lurk here. They keep an eye on what is being said about them.

Somebody in the COB has to have sent a morg operative to the show and have had them return and report.

And I'm sure that the ticket price was reimbursed because they were on official cult bidness.

Tithing dollars supported the musical.

Money well spent.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:36PM

It's a diversionary tactic - a pay no attention to the man behind the curtain moment. It's most important to preserve the tithe-payers you already have, rather than recruit new ones.

Secondarily, I suppose it helps LDS, Inc. with their business ventures by raising their profile.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:27PM

That is too funny; can't wait to see the signs.

What might they say, "We invite you come join the only true church on the face of the earth that not only believes in Jesus Christ, but Santa and the Bunny."

That might work.

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:33PM

when this will be happening?

Posted by: Sally ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:57PM

Nevermind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 11:59PM by sally.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 12:14AM

It follows; human curiosity. HMMM the LDS is suddenly launching an ad campaign..but why? Why are they so threatened? Next level: "RECOVERY" from mo'ism. Why? Is it, like.. a well funded cult? We're talking about New Yorkers, here.
Or San Franciscans. Or Los Angeleans. This musical is going on the road, and nobody can back-pedal fast enough to unring this bell.

It's going on tour. This will be interesting.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 10:41AM

I can see the leadership meetings now,

"Brethren, Satan has mounted an evil attack upon us in this region. Not surprising, since this is where our beloved prophet was instrumental in the restoration. As I drove past the theatre the other day, my mind was opened, and I could see legions of devils surrounding...blah blah blah"

Good luck TSCC..hahahahahahahah

Date: June 15, 2011 04:00PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52005719-78/church-mormon-lds-musical.html.csp

So what will the morg do when people investigate the church and find that almost all of the claims made in the BOM musical are actually true?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 04:30PM

I see that and think: "...and a Mormon just believes."

That seems pretty clueless to me, but then I'm not a multi-billion dollar corporation, so what do I know?

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 04:33PM

into a win for them. By an expensive ad campaign launched in Manhattan that is simply riding the coattails of the successful musical?

The real proof would be a dramatic upturn in new investigators and converts in the NYC area. And you know that's not going to happen.

Another example of grossly wasting the widow's mite.

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:24PM

This ad campaign is too funny!
My ex-moil told me repeatedly that all news is good news for the church. She said it leads to people asking questions, talking to mishies and converting.
I think it's a senile plan led by senile self-delusional men.
But that could just be me being "offended"!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.