Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 18andout ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:22PM

Anybody know where this temple will be. I hope it is nowhere near my house.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:51PM

I hope that it's up close to Sand Hollow GC so that I can mock it when I play golf there again. I would find that amusing!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:42PM

Haven't heard any rumors about location. Maybe in Hurricane. Or is that Hurkin? Or Hairacan? Or ??

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 06:44AM

The locals pronounce it Hur-kin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 06:45AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:17PM

I would guess it will be where ever they can get a stupid sheeple to donate them the land. Most likely in Hurricane, south side hill as you drop down into the valley. A bit East of Sand Hollow.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:24PM

You are probably safe--unless you live in a PRIMO residential area with 360 degree view lots! If so, beware! Pick the most expensive area there, and that's where it will be built.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:32PM

It will be next to the purgatory jail.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:36PM

Hildale

--or--

Mountain Meadow

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:44PM

Plenty of space is available at the Washington County Solid Waste landfill.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 12:30AM

Anywhere there’s high visibility and a high income bracket.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 12:46AM

Look for someone who owns a lot of real estate and will get a hefty tax write-off for donating the land.

Killing two birds with one stone, said real estate person can claim it against their tithing.

Pretty sure that was the same deal with the Cedar City temple.

Date: October 12, 2018 03:13AM

Lots of realtors there to go around. And land investors. That shouldn't be a problemo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 03:13AM by Amyjo.

Date: October 12, 2018 02:58AM

Saint George temple gets an extremely high traffic flow on any given day. If there's going to be another mini temple added near there (wasn't one added recently in Cedar City?) then Washington or Hurricane would be a likely place. St George is the fastest growing metro area in the US, in recent years.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 09:16AM

Fastest-growing US metro areas, 2018:

1.The Villages, Fla.
2.Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, S.C.-N.C.
3.Austin-Round Rock, Texas.
4.Midland, Texas.
5.Greeley, Colo.
6.St. George, Utah.
7.Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.

Date: October 12, 2018 09:25AM

What is your source for these stats?

Date: October 12, 2018 09:28AM

From May, 2018 USA Today

"ST. GEORGE, Utah — St. George is the fastest-growing metropolitan area in the U.S., according to new estimates from the Census Bureau.

There were an estimated 165,662 people in 2017 in the designated metro area, which includes most of Washington County in southwestern Utah, up 4% from 2016, according to estimates released Thursday.

The news may not surprise area residents used to coping with the constant road construction; looking up at new homes, new stores and other construction projects; and watching as housing developments expand away from the city centers and into the surrounding desert."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/22/st-george-utah-nations-fastest-growing-metro-area-census-says/448197002/

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 03:29PM

Hopefully high on a mountain top and inaccessible by car. Closer for flinging those terrestrial dead people to Kolob.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 03:39PM

I lived in St. G for 10 years, but haven't been back in a while.

It's growing fast, so lots of changes since I was last there.

My guesses for new temple location:

1- Coral Canyon area, which is right off I-15 and in between St. G and Hurricane. Near a golf course and nice homes.

2- Washington Fields. Lots of space, high-income housing, a few miles northeast of St. G.

3- Hurricane

Date: October 12, 2018 03:41PM

And I'm sure the land will be donated. The church will likely have several options. Builders/landowners will be anxious to donate the land so they can build large expensive houses nearby.

Date: October 12, 2018 03:50PM

The houses are already large and expensive. I've been following housing prices since 2012. The median housing price has risen app $100,000 since then. Currently it's $350,000 for a *median* priced house. New houses are being built faster than they can sell them. Upscale neighborhoods are the Coral Canyon and Washington Fields. In Hurricane the Sand Hollow is too. Views are just about everywhere you go, in all directions.

Date: October 12, 2018 03:58PM

Crazy, huh? I don't understand what people do for work there to afford those houses.

I used to work for the school district and remember talking to parents and it seems like all the men worked some kind of construction or contracting job.

If everyone works building houses, then what happens when all the houses are built? Another housing bubble burst, I'm thinking. I left right about when the last bubble burst, in 2008.

Date: October 12, 2018 04:10PM

When I began looking at housing prices was the best time to have bought a house there. I found a really nice one in Bloomington for $167,000 with a landscaped yard to die for. It had sold before I could bid on it. Now a house like that in Bloomington would start at $300,000 and up.

That was 2012. It's disconcerting to want to move there, and be stuck here in my job until I can afford to retire. By the time I can afford to, will be priced out of the housing market in St George (almost.) I don't need a big house, but would like something that has enough room for family when they come to visit.

Since discovering the St George area (I chanced across it from a realtor's listings for southern Idaho. He's licensed to sell properties in both states, lol. There's a Bloomington, Idaho, and a Bloomington, Utah so they defaulted into each others listings or I wouldn't have known about St George. I'm glad I did chance across it in 2012. Then in 2014 I discovered some pioneer ancestors were among the earliest settlers there to Zion (Springdale,) and also to Washington. I have ancestors buried in both places (early Mormon pioneers.) I didn't know that before then. Some cousins through my St George ancestors are in real estate there and very successful. When I'm ready to retire I've already asked one of them to be my realtor. He and his wife are semi-retired, but are still active. He sold his brokerage, because he could afford to. The real estate market there is dynomite.)

I may not be able to afford to buy there unless another housing bubble bursts. A financial advisor there told me they're wondering if that will happen. My realtor cousin when I asked him what did he think said that either that or the housing market has stabilized to where it should be since the 2008 housing bubble. If prices are stable now, I don't know how people can afford them either unless they're wealthy Californians or retirees cashing in their 401k's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 04:13PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 05:19PM

Moving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in 1953, at the age of 8, the words "St. George" meant absolutely nothing to me. But within a couple of years attendance at the Las Vegas 2nd Ward, it began to be part of my vocabulary. Obviously, this was because it was the city where the closest temple existed. I soon learned enough about the St. George Temple to think it strange that such a remote spot from church headquarters was to become the first temple to be completed in Utah, even though the SLC temple was announced years earlier.

But that's general knowledge and I want to pass along something personal here about St. George. My first visit was in the Spring of 1962, when I was a senior in high school. (One day I hope for the opportunity to tell you ALL about high school in Las Vegas!)

Five of us decided to ditch school. This decision was made at early morning seminary. This was fairly early in the year.
Brian Bunker drove. (I could be wrong about his first name...) He had a light blue 1960 Ford Falcon. I wasn't that good a friend; I got to tag along because I was good friends with Susan Polley, Paula Bunker and one other girl, whose name escapes me.

Back then there was no I-15, although parts of it near Las Vegas were under construction. And there was no road through the Virgin River Gorge. Nope, the now 100-mile trip was a 125-mile trip back then, with the extra 25 miles being the detour around the Gorge, and through the Shivwits Indian Reservation. They are a band of Paiute Indians. You hardly see any in St. George now, but they're there! I am forced to wonder how their land values are holding up.

So we drove up after seminary, found the temple and looked at it through the car windows and then found a six-lane bowling alley, bowled one line, and then got back in the car to head home in time to make it before school let out.

Maybe some other time I'll have the chance to regale you with the story of Paula Bunker and I ditching six days of school in a row. Here's a preview: It was the only six-week grading period that I made the honor roll!

Oh, and I must mention this: I'd been caught ditching my freshman year because my attempt to forge my mom's signature failed. So at the start of senior year, all the papers that she was supposed to sign were signed by Susan Polley! So anytime I needed something signed, Susan signed it and of course it matched the signature on file!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 07:45PM

>>or the housing market has stabilized to where it should be since the 2008 housing bubble.

My condo (a nice, but not luxury development in a very desirable area) has had a normal amount of growth since before the bubble. There was a point of time when the value of it went up to close to 300K. While I enjoyed that time, I also knew that the price was not realistic for the long haul. The people who buy condos in my community are singles, young couples, and retirees. None of them are going to pay 300K for a condo. They just don't have that kind of money. (If they do, they buy a townhouse or a detached home.)

So I would take a hard look at the typical buyer in St. George. Absent a high tech company moving in, and distorting prices, people are only going to be able to afford so much. It is possible however, that it's turning into a retirement haven for people from California or elsewhere. I can see that driving up prices. From what I understand, the same thing happened in Bend, Oregon. For someone coming in from California or the east coast, 300K+ for a house is going to seem normal or even inexpensive.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 07:59PM

If you can't afford St. George--Another great retirement area is the little town of Mesquite, that's just 40 miles south and out of the Virgin Gorge. They've got a Wal-mart, and all kinds of medical facilities and the businesses cater to the retirees. Golf Courses everywhere, It's a beautiful place in winter. And prices are much cheaper.

Date: October 12, 2018 11:18PM

One of my Idaho cousins has his winter home in Mesquite. They pass through St George going and coming. :)

They like it there, but it's a long drive back and forth between there and Idaho for snowbirding. And that's their secondary home. So has been thinking of selling it.

Date: October 12, 2018 04:18PM

I understand there's quite a bit of white collar financial crimes there ongoing. That's nothing new. MLM's and pyramid schemes are very familiar to some Utahns. Until they get busted and do time ....

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 08:17PM

are the ppl of Utah (St. George) balsy enough to require development fees on new residents to help defray the added infrastructure needed to fund increased demand for public safety & schools (I'm sure many opportunistic people of childbearing age will move to St George to start a business or be employed there...)

(D. Fees go directly to gov't to fund needed items mentioned above)

Date: October 12, 2018 11:16PM

Hidden taxes are in the HOA fees of the subdivisions. Not all of them have HOA's though. New residents don't pay development fees to my knowledge. All Utahns pay a flat 5% state income tax. The sales tax is on just about everything there, including food. Otherwise, St. George is actually lower cost of living ratio compared to other parts of the state like Ogden and Salt Lake City and up north.

The service sector there is booming, to cater to the retirement community. So there are opportunities for entrepreneurs. Some tech startups there like elsewhere. The university is a large employer. And then a medical college is being built that will add to the local economy.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:33PM

You and me both. Although I wouldn't mind selling my home at a massive profit because of inflation.

Date: October 13, 2018 10:52PM

Wish I could've bought into the real estate market when I first began looking there.

By waiting so long may well have priced myself out of the market.

I can still dream though ....

The area is growing so fast that I may not recognize it the next time I go back to visit!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:51PM

Where's Washington County in Utah!?? What cities or towns are there!?? Is it rural!??

Date: October 15, 2018 03:13PM

It's in southern Utah, at the northern tip of the Mojave Desert.

Zion National Park is there. Other national and state parks nearby. Close to the Grand Canyon; Mesquite, NV, Arizona, etc. It's under 100 miles from Las Vegas.

Major towns in Washington county are St George; Washington; and Hurricane.

It's become something of a retirement community in recent years. Lots of 55 and older flocking there to soak up the sun and outdoorsy activities like golfing, hiking, sightseeing, etc.

Views in all directions of red rocky vistas and Pine Mountain. It's breathtaking scenery. It's app 350 miles south of Salt Lake City on the I-15.

It's considered the fastest growing metro area in the US by USA Today for 2018. Housing is going up all over the place.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 03:45PM

Isn't there already a Temple in St. George!??

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 03:54PM

Anonymous 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't there already a Temple in St. George!??

Yes, but that one is for active church members.

I've heard that the church has been wanting to build one for all the Jack Mormons around Dixie college.

Date: October 15, 2018 04:34PM

Yeah in downtown. It's the first temple built still in use by TSCC.

A second one would be likely built in the outlying suburb/s of either Hurricane or Washington. Washington is closer to St George; Hurricane is more rural.

It would be a mini-temple, like the others have been since the 1980's expansion.

The St George is so busy it looks like Grand Central Station on any given day, especially during the winter months when the snowbirds convene upon the city. A mini-temple would thus help taper down the peak volume from the other existing one.

Since there's a LDS church house on nearly every other corner there, building a mini-temple doesn't seem like such a stretch for the morg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.