Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:11AM

My FB has been all a buzz with the Bom winning Best Musical...TBMs playing the victim of course.

Lots of this quotes as a status update:
‎"The production (Book of Mormon Musical) may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ." -LDS Church's response to the musical

And this article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/why-i-wont-be-seeing-the-book-of-mormon-musical/2011/04/14/AFiEn1fD_blog.html

Which basically states - in the 7 years it took to write the BoM Musical, Mormon humanitarian efforts have been helping the African people.

LOL! What a joke!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wjexmo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:14AM

I have to share this facebook post:

"Normally I would Ignore this But an EX-Gay Mormon writing this trash has in 2 Min. on Network T.V. turned Millions of viewers into Thinking members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints (Mormons) into a bunch of loonies that should be put in straight jackets. Freedom of speech use to end where the others face began no there are No Boundaries. No Respect of anything or any body.‎( and this is the only part they could show on network T.V. minus the bleeps)"

Posted by: wjexmo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:15AM

Another one:

"With $200 a ticket why would anyone want to see this? also I see the same Predigest of Missouri that made members of the L.D.S. FAITH a target of an extermination order. In the same way people of the Jewish faith in Germany. "

Posted by: sithlorddaddy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:22AM

Wow! What's a Predigest? Is it the before the Readers Digest Abridged texts? :)

wjexmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another one:
>
> "With $200 a ticket why would anyone want to see
> this? also I see the same Predigest of Missouri
> that made members of the L.D.S. FAITH a target of
> an extermination order. In the same way people of
> the Jewish faith in Germany. "

Date: June 14, 2011 12:46AM

A Predigest?! Seriously, wtf is that? LOL!!!

And WHAT?! Comparing Mormons to Jews in the Holocaust?! OMFG. They have not a damn clue.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:49AM

Would "Predigest" be an attempt to spell "prejudice"?

Looks like the home-schooling didn't include spelling and literacy!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:33AM

not everyone can spell that great and it aint an indication of level of intelligence either! k? tanks berry muchee!!
oh wait..that was a tbm posting...ok :: carry on::!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 10:34AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:49AM

Yeah, how dare a gay person get on TV and make an entire group of people look silly? How dare those mortal sinning, butt-sex loving, godless heathens who don't deserve the right to marry and who will never be happy because they don't know what love really is and only care about sex and crystal meth, well, how dare they lump us all into a category and make such exaggerated statements about us? It's just not right.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:26AM

Can you say; "Delusional"?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:02AM

yes, probably, but I bet he'd have trouble spelling it :-)

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:46AM

OK, Here we go. . . can't discuss anything without carting out the Nazis. Yes, a funny, good-natured, musical jab at someone's beliefs is EXACTLY the same as genocide. Come on, people. You're not being persecuted just because people comment on your beliefs. These comparisons are insulting and disrespectful to the memories of those who actually were persecuted.

Date: June 14, 2011 12:47AM

+1!!!!!!!!!

Seriously OMFG.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 05:41AM

Ive heard them compare themselves and their persecutions to haulocost many times. There must me some kind of How to Respond and What to Say manual somewhere.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:52AM

Actually, although history has been re-written by the Jews to make things seem more dramatic, The Holocaust was, in fact, rife with fabulous song and dance numbers.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:47AM

Yeah, that! hahahahhahahahahaha!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:54AM

that is growing by leaps and bounds. We've reached the tipping point where it is now acceptable to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

This is just the kick off of a new era. This is the real significance of the musical. It isn't about Mormons, it about the empowerment of the non religious.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:22AM

Mormons Can't put nearly anything into CONTEXT like others of us do; their ONLY context is:

3 hour block
HTs / VTs
'awesome' PHood men, Molly Women.
Worshipping JS, TSM, and a few others in between.
Blind Obedience to ...Whatever!

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:00AM

I can't wait for the call to arms that I anticipate hearing soon from my TBM relatives. It's going to happen. It's as inevitable as jello.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:25AM

Don't fuck a baby!

Fuck this frog and I will cure your aids

Posted by: stormy's one and only ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:27AM

Already her from my Mother-refer to popcorn and raisinettes.

Jake

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:36AM

need me some goobers along with those raisinettes!! LIVE ENTERTAINMENT! :)

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:06AM

The one's I am acquainted with haven't a clue (their brains are so washed and dried.)

You'd think 'some' of them would start to wake up.

I would like to plant a sign in my front yard that says something like: I salute the Book of Mor(mo)on and in smaller letters write 'musical'.

Mor(m)ons don't make good neighbors though and my house and yard would become a target of drive by trash. lol

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:19AM

Actually only two Mormons I know have mentioned it. One saw it and liked it and another thought that was great and said she admired her for being open-minded. Some can laugh at themselves, but they aren't the majority apparently.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:33AM

Hey folks, when you belong to a totally f'd up religion with beliefs outside the realm of normal human experience, and you call it "peculiar" and think that makes you special with a hotline to god, DO NOT bitch moan an complain when somebody spoofs what you believe in! This is life!

Your temple movie makes fun of mainstream Protestant churches, remember? Huh?? You yourselves have made fun of Jehovah's Witnesses (Jay-Dubs) and called the Catholics the "great and abominable church" and the "whore of babylon."

Yet you get offended when Trey Parker lovingly pokes fun at Mormonism? And does it to music and dance?

Grow a pair and suck it up. No sympathy here.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:37AM

He has a curiosity about Mormon beliefs. Of course, he met me and now he knows it's a crazy-ass cult.

Anyway, he went because of his curiosity and he loves Stone & Parker. When he got back he told me that it really isn't poking fun at Mormonism. It points out peculiar beliefs, but the main message it was getting across is how silly all religions are, which is evidenced by the (more) outlandish version of Mormonism these two imaginative missionaries sell to the Africans to get them baptized.

Anything damaging and head scratching he knows about Mormonism is from me and he felt that the play was more satire than mockery. I don't think it's the big lambasting of Mormonism that people think it might be.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:27AM

In a real sense, the mishies that taught DW and myself did much the same thing that the mishies in the musical did to the Africans in their village. They taught us milk before meat, or IOW they shaped the image of the gospel that they sold to us to fit the image they thought we would be most likely to buy.

Eventually I found out more about the actual doctrines, history and teachings of the Mo cult, and found out how much polishing they do to make sales.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:35AM

Don't you love it when the power to educate and raise consciousness goes to humor rather than the Holy Spirit?

When missionaries are being barred from foreign countries while ticket sales the the mockumusical are soaring?

Isn't satire when you make something a more exaggerated version of itself? And isn't using a word like c*nt more like mocking?

Love both mocking and satire, esp sacred-not-secret mumbojumbo.

Anagrammy

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:24AM

Don't you love the timing of this?

I'll bet Mitt Romney is using four letter words--they posted Romney's head on a photo of one of the heel-clicking missionaries for the cover of Newsweek!

The Newsweek article pointed out that the Mormons were not helping their case by refusing to talk about their beliefs. They only politicians who would answer questions were the ones from the Morridor. The others all said, "I'm running as a Republican, not as a Mormon."

Guess they can spin that to mean that potty or no, name recognition and the cover of Newsweek is still publicity.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:15AM

It's interesting that Michael Otterson (head of Church PR) in a printed response to the BOM musical lists a series of humanitarian achievements in Sfrica over the last 7 years.

What a shame he didn't reference the expenditure in Africa (from additional member donations by the way) with the amount of expenditure and activity on the City Creek Mall (from tithing proceeds) and other commercial enterprises.

Humanitarian aid expenditure in 2010 $88 million
City Creek $500 million +

Ignore what people say, look at what they do...

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:53AM

I bet a lot of the people getting upset about this play and feeling picked on are the same people that think anyone who's not a member of the mormon church is inferior.
In other words, they can dish it but they can't take it.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:57AM

OMFG! This article was written by Michael Otterson, spokesasshole for TSCC! No wonder the slant is the way it is.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:01AM

Which contains more points of truth about Mormonism:

1. The Book of Mormon Musical

or

B. The Preach My Gospel manual that missionaries use to teach investigators

or

Secondly. Sunday School Gospel Doctrine lessons

Answers on a postcard to: Mr Monson, Tithing Square, Salt La...

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:06AM

http://www.ldsmag.com/blogs?id=24&view=entry

"Blasphemous, foul-mouthed and riddled with potty humor"!!!!!!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:58AM

"Potty" humor in some circles is known of as "scatalogical" humor. The "childifying" of the church is really heartbreaking.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:28AM

Of course they are. Any special interest group when met by an entity that either shows it does not think the group is 'special' or worse, treats it with contempt, will react adversly.

It's what they do. ;o))

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:37AM

Envious that the musical gives the listener much more warm fuzzies than their own boring meetings do. "The real book will change your life", they might be right in that but who said it was a change for the better?

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:02AM

You're right about the warm fuzzies. The first time I heard the BOM album I was weeping. With joy! Didn't get much out of the book though.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:40AM

I don't see why you need to go to New York to see mormons act out,,just go to temple square.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:10AM

ROTFLMAO big time

Posted by: janet ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:07AM

heresay wrote
"in the US, those who no longer belong to any religion are part of a group that is growing by leaps and bounds. We've reached the tipping point where it is now acceptable to point out that the emperor has no clothes. This is just the kick off of a new era. This is the real significance of the musical. It isn't about Mormons, it about the empowerment of the non religious."

+ 2 on that. We swallowed the smith, god, jesus story for years.

Does anyone else but dh and I see the highly talented LA and NY gay community along with Trey Parker and Matt Stone giving the middle finger to the Mormon church? Prop 8 ?

Read the lyrics on joseph smith american moses. It ends "Jesus says, FUCK FUCK MORMONS!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.