Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:14AM

instead of clasping their hands while praying? I was asked this at work today by a nevermo and I had no idea that only Mormons do this, or why. Anybody know where the arm folding came from?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: truthfinder ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:20AM

IDK, but it's something I always wondered too... In the pictures, Jesus is always clasping his hands to pray...

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:24AM

LD$ aren't that thoughtful though. I see it as just another trivial detail to dictate to the sheeple to make them feel they have the twooth. Essentially I don't know either.

Posted by: sithlorddaddy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:28AM

they're giving themselves unconscious hugs to protect them from the knowledge they're all screwy?

Posted by: sithlorddaddy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:46AM

+1! :D

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:29AM

And they hunched in like they were expecting a cuff on the back of their head.

It was kind of creepy. Looked like an abused kid asking daddy to look at their report card or something.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:22AM

kmart sucks!! :)
(rainman)

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:30AM

That the gesture internalizes a subconcious feeling of powerlessness before the almighty dictates of an alien living in the star system kolob.

With the arms bound (like in a straight-jacket) you can't defend yourself. I never thought about it before, but that's just as good an explanation as any bishop will give :)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:36AM

Arm folding pretty much stops in the teen years, and then comes back in adulthood as you try to set an example for the little ones.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:39AM

Yeah, I always used it for my kids, so they would not poke and slap each other at prayer time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 11:39AM by think4u.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:26PM

+1

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:48AM

I want to say that it started in the '60s or '70s, but I'm not sure. My BIC grandparents never folded their arms, & neither did most adults of the same age or a bit younger. & even then adults my parents age only did it as an example, or if they were converts.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 08:56AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:26AM

Folding Arms = Closed Mind(s)

example: If you're talking to a (car) salesperson, listening to a sales pitch...if you fold your arms, salesperson takes that as an unfavorable attitude indication.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:32AM

I always thought it was to keep kids from hitting each other during a prayer.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 06:07AM

then we'd follow with "Our Father which art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come......" etc.

So... at the branch we'd pray

I'd put my hands together and close my eyes to be told to get it right and fold my arms.

At school I was accused of irreverence when I folded my arms then at church I'd be accused of irreverence when I put my hands together and closed my eyes.

I was messed up with all the silly rules.

'I just want to thank God!' 'He can hear me anyway' I thought.

Stupid religion.

Briggy

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 06:10AM

They consider it a sign of reverence. It's cultural. Children fold their arms, especially the young boys. Sometimes it continues into adulthood out of habit of youth.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 08:38AM

To cover up those stupid things sewn into their underwear. Can't have the Lard seein' those if he's actually looking down.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 08:51AM

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:00PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:51AM

I still do that out of habit when at church only because I saw others do it. Seems to be a TSCC cultural thing IMHO.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:56AM

I saw an American film and someone in the film folded their arms whilst praying.

Might be a US rather than a totally Mormon thing, perhaps?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:02AM

...folded arms is atleast where I live a sign that your'e somewhat sceptical. It's signaling distance, not worship.

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:14AM

I don't know either. When I converted, I only started praying this way (at least in public) because everyone else seemed to be doing it. When I prayed at home, I still put my hands together like everyone else. It always seemed weird to me-at my house, when someone folded their arms over their chest (like MoMos do when praying) meant that you either were pissed or you weren't listening.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:24AM

It's the fifth token of the Moronic Priesthood or 'Sure sign of the numpty'...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:29AM

at family prayer and food blessings, then during Sunday School, primary, and Sacrement meetings. It was tough at general conference to keep those arms folded for hours, but many kids suffered the fate.

Eventually, all mormons were folding their arms at prayer and sacrement to express humble reverence and as an example to the kiddies.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:58AM

(1) It helps prevent involuntary jerking motions and fits in which the Mormon's unconscious revolts against hearing the same exact prayer for the 10,000th time or when someone blesses the "refreshments" which consist of vast quantities of sugar, aspartame, margarine and such things.

(2) It's a reminder of the pose required for wearing a strait-jacket, which symbolizes the true nature of life as a Morgbot.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:59AM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:13PM

If I had had forearm claws as a Mormon, I would NEVER have left.

Talons aren't the same thing either.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:33PM

10) Best way to prevent bitch slapping between jack-mormons and TBMs.
9) Symbolizes wearing of 'spiritual' straight jacket.
8) Prevents booger picking during Sac Mtg.
7) Covering up gut slash from pre-1990 endowment ceremony
6) Initiated by JS so ol'l Joe could cop a quick feel from the sisters before they could load up a slap.
5) Gentile hand-clasping already taken. Swinging dead chicken over head voted out as too extreme.
4) Drool catcher.
3) Easiest way to discretely pinch oneself during long, boring talks to stay awake.
2) Old Kolob sign of power and prestige.
1) Can't pester your pickle with folded arms.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:10PM

Is kinda curious...I wonder if it was just one more way the early Mos wanted to be different from other Christian sects.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:28PM

The practice actually began several hundred years ago. For example, as early as 610 AD at a monastery somewhere in Southern France or Northern Italy, monks used scraps of dough and twisted them to represent a child's arms folded in prayer. The pretzel was born. The three empty holes represented the Christian Trinity. The monks then baked the twisted dough strips and awarded them to children who learn their prayers well. I think the main reason was to keep kids still and not poking each other while praying.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:44PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 01:45PM by steve benson.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:40PM

poem from childhood

I fold my arms
I bow my head
I close my eyes
When prayer is said.

Infant indoctrination

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:42PM

It's a way to keep children from fighting with each other as they sit through hours of tedious meetings. They are taught that being "reverent" means folding your arms and sitting quietly. When they get out of hand, they are forced back into the revence pose to maintain discipline.

Over the years, Mormons get used to sitting this way and it feels comfortable for them. I often sit this way and I've had people ask me why I'm angry. One of my friends finally explained that Mormons are just taught to sit that way, even though it looks like a defensive posture to non-Mormons.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:06PM

It's one of the ways to symbolize reverence and humility.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:17PM

It is a gesture of infantalization and submission. Also, a defensive gesture, the opposite of openness.

Perfect for Mormonism.

Keeping adults as children

Anagrammy

Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:03PM

They stole it from "I Dream of Jeanie!"

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:04PM

And it wouldn't be modest if their nipples were sticking out far enough to fondle the bishop.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:10PM

Ugh, I got so much shit for not folding my arms during prayer, while on the mission. I always thought I looked like an escaped patient from the M.A.C.H.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:28PM

I never really understood that, but even as a convert, I eventually started folding my arms in church as it's what everyone else did. At home, I just held my hands together as that's what I'm used to, and it used to drive my TBM ex crazy.

Now, I make it a point just to hold my hands together, even if I was with TBM's and listened to their lengthy blessing of the food. My mom actually said something about the Mormon blessing of food being long, as she was more used to a quick prayer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.