Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:14AM

To those of you who are still somewhat active: Do you take - or give yourself - any compensation for your services to the LDS Corp? Specifically, I'm thinking about janitorial services (but any unpaid services or calling would apply). In the past, I would keep track of the time that I spent in different callings, and reduce the tithing that I paid accordingly. The more time I spent doing their 'stuff' the less money they got in their monthly envelopes.

For example, if I were to spend time cleaning the chapel or whatever (although I left before this every-member-a-janitor program began), I would then deduct $20 or $25 per hour for the time that I spent from my tithing contribution. If every member did this - and let the bishopric people know that they were doing it - it might encourage them to re-hire people and cleaning services to do this work. After all, the Corp. is nothing if not very aware of the bottom line and always looking for ways to increase revenue.

Also, this might discourage them from loading up people with multiple callings. The more 'callings' they gave, the less money they'd receive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:07AM

I have done that at all of the churches that I have attended since I left LDSco. My version of it is I place $5.00 in the plate when hit passes by me at church.

When I feel like baking for "fellowship," (the after-service coffee and snack time) then I utilize my time, talent, and cash to purchase what I need for the edible donation. Since I like to bake twice monthly for fellowship, I feel that my $5.00 donation, which they can spend how they choose, is the best way to handle the situation.

But I am like you. I feel that the extra expenses that I incur should be able to be deducted from the 10% (not that the Lutheran church demands 10%) and not added to it.

Good job on your decision to do this.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:38AM

Good on you another guy. I think that is kind of funny but legitimate. I should have done the same thing years ago. The most I did was when I had to make purchases for stuff for church I would just take it out of tithing instead of handing in receipts. I hated how the church thought everyone had spare cash to spend on their crap and then they would pay you back whenever. They tell you to stay out of debt but then what are you supposed to do when they don't give you the money up front to buy stuff for their activities. Out would come the credit card...jerks.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:09PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.