Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:43AM

Just had a frustrating conversation with some friends.

I related how my mother had left the church a few years ago with her husband and currently forbids my little brother from having any interactions with the church beyond going to the Scout program and anything my father shoves down his throat when my brother is staying at his house.

My mother was a convert in her teens and stayed active for well over 30 years. During the divorce she even became uber believer and she made sure to remarry a worthy priesthood holder. However, a few years ago she left and took her husband with her. (Before they married he was a widowed High Councillor). She'd struggled with a Joseph Smith testimony all my life and over being socially snubbed at church along with resentment at not being part of the Mormon aristocracy. She finally left over being offended (several times) and how the Mormon church isn't a true Christian church. (I don't dare approach her about atheism and the many falsehoods of any Christian faith at this point.)

So my friends basically defended the church and thought little of my mother for taking offence. I admit my mother in many aspects of her life sets up expectations of others only to be disappointed and was partially responsible for some of the offences, but not all of them. There are many that are just inherent in the system.

But to my friends the gospel is true and the people in the church are imperfect and we just need to live with it. That's part of the sanctification process and the church is God's tool to give us those saving ordinances so that we can return and be like Him.

I know I probably have no chance of convincing these guys, but I just want to clarify my own thinking on the matter by getting your input on the subject.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 04:48AM

You're mother is an adult and can leave a church because she doesn't like the color of the carpet, and it's no one's business but her own. The opinions of these "friends" are their problem, not hers or yours.

Posted by: cl2zip ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:03AM

something along the lines of (it is early and my brain isn't functioning yet) "the people aren't perfect, but the church is." The people make up the church--without them, it wouldn't exist, but we are supposed to overlook all their offenses, lies, etc. It doesn't matter what argument you use--if they want to defend the church, they will no matter how foolish they look.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:06AM

You were adult enough to reason through to atheism. Let your mom be adult enough to reason through to her own belief system. Who cares what others think? Just support her and love her unconditionally (something not taught in LDS, Inc.).

Then look those friends in the eye and tell them you love and support your mom and to drop dead and go see if there really is a God and if there is, does he really want such shallow, judgmental and hateful people like you in His heaven?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:29AM

Over-Riding message is YOU MUST CONFORM to our beliefs, practices, NO MATTER WHAT your personal values and/or emotions are. period.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:48AM

We are also free to form our own World View based on any kind of religious concept we like, or none, or a variety of ideas from many sources. We can change our mind about that also.

Any religious organization is filled with human beings and as such they can do anything any other human being can do (think, act, believe, actions, etc.)

If we don't care for some organization, we are free to leave it.There is no such thing as only one true list of reasons we can use to change our mind.
Don't like the LDS Church? Don't like the color of the draperies, or the carpet on the walls, or the noisy gymn, or the tinny organ, the things people say, and do, (too many are rude and obnoxious), their beliefs, or any other reason, or no particular reason? OK. You can leave.

There is great freedom to choose our own belief systems and let them evolve, and change to something else if we want to.'

I am fascinated by how people live their lives by a particular set of beliefs and how it creates their World View.
I don't have any need to believe any of them. That doesn't change the value of our relationship.
My view? Accept people with love, kindness, patience, and treat others the way you want to be treated.
Find what works for you and live it.
Life is short. Find the joy, freedom, laughter and fun!
I do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 11:49AM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.