Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 06:13PM

California, Los Angeles County: 23 judicial positions, from CA Supreme Court Justice, through various Court of Appeal Justice positions, through Judge of the Los Angeles County Superior Court.

More than three hours of intensely concentrated homework on the judicial positions.

There are a couple of specific judicial positions I am still iffy about (due to a lack of available information), but this is the best I can do with the information I can find.

[A couple of days ago I did my homework for the CA state elected offices, the US Senator and US Representative positions, the "State Measures" (means: propositions), the single LA County "Measure," the Los Angeles City Measures, and the LA Unified School District Special Election Measure.]

This is, as is widely being said, possibly the most important election in any of our lifetimes.

If you haven't done it already, please begin YOUR election homework, starting right now. Get your sample ballot, begin Googling whatever--at this moment--you do not know enough about to make a decision on, and fill out your sample ballot so it is ready for next Tuesday when you go to the polls.

On behalf of everyone who will be affected by this election: Thank you!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 07:28PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 06:17PM

Tevai, thank you for doing your "homework."

Whether I agree with your choices or not, you'll be making an informed vote -- and that rocks. :)

I did the same. It's why I went mail-in ballot some time ago, I find that doing so gives me time to do my research. Not to mention that I'll be in NYC on election day instead of at home!

You're a great example. Well done.

Date: November 02, 2018 06:39PM

Thanks, Hie!

:)

Posted by: Grammer Nazi ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 01:28AM

I am not a grammer Nazi, buy your reply looked funny to me :)

Date: November 04, 2018 01:35AM

Grammer Nazi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not a grammer Nazi, buy your reply looked
> funny to me :)

I am glad you are smiling!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 04:47PM

Grammer Nazi Wrote:
> I am not a grammer Nazi, buy your reply looked
> funny to me :)

Did you mean grammar Nazi?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 04:56PM

Oh boy.

Someone is apparently staying at the Andaz Hotel in NYC--right across the street from the public library.

And your wife did not travel with you, giving you plenty of time to post on RfM!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 07:17PM

I have been voting absentee for a few rounds, now. That gives you time to actually go over the ballot, research the issues and candidates, and make valid decisions.

I must admit, since I voted a couple of weeks ago, I am more than ready to get this election business over with. At the same time, I have not yet recovered from the PTSD-like shock of the last election. I don't have any faith in the American electorate. When I went to bed, I was pretty sure that I would wake up to learn that the U.S. had elected its first female president.

The disillusionment continues to be difficult.

Over the years, I have taken some of our children to the polling place, to show them how important it is, to be a voice, to cast a vote, to do our civic duty. All of our kids are registered voters. And they vote.

Date: November 02, 2018 07:26PM

catnip Wrote:
> Over the years, I have taken some of our children
> to the polling place, to show them how important
> it is, to be a voice, to cast a vote, to do our
> civic duty. All of our kids are registered voters.
> And they vote.

Thank you, catnip.

In our national context, teaching kids who are growing up the importance of voting is a very important part of parenting, and I am (along with, I am sure, our fellow nationals) personally grateful to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 11:19PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 09:54PM

We did a LOT of homework in this house too. We are all mail-in and it is THE best thing EVER. I think it is foolish that every state doesn't do it this way. You have plenty of time to know what is up in your specific area. Even my little town is cut in half for City Council and it is hard to know just who/what all you are going to be asked to vote until you see that ballot. Then you can mail in or drop off. The envelopes are doubled so they are secret. AND they use your DMV/ID signature to verify. If you don't have one of those, no problem. You can get a signature on file. If it doesn't match, they contact you and even after the election if you can prove it is you and your vote WILL be counted. We had the problem with Hubby for the Primary as his is chicken scratch. If you have a problem where being consistent is hard for you, they have a way to work with you on that. Then if there is any kind of question on count they have hard copies to check again. None of this all-electronic crap.

You have to dig dig dig as people clean up their social media accounts and try to only give you what they want you to see but if you work hard at it a lot of the time you can find info. Now, those that know me, know how much I hate FB. I had to clean up way too many problems that happened here that started there. FB is The Debil! But, I was able to find that two people running for City Council were acting like asshats and getting their friends to heckle during debates. Sigh. Also, I found that one is some kind of fundie and backed by a ZERO abortion group. We are going with the third one running. Like what they say, have a solid background in several community support groups like Habitat for Humanity, Veteran and they have stayed out of the childish antics of the other two. I had a very hard time finding info on two judges. Liked the fact that one is a Civil attorney and they would round out the sitting panel with three Criminal attorneys. One spent a LOT more money than the other. Not a huge thing but something we pay attention to. Started in deep digging, and looked at their husbands FB. Found some things we really don't agree with so we will go for the Civil.

I am very happy to see more kids getting involved. Some are going to polling places to cheer on those that can vote. Some are having "registration parties" for their 18th Birthdays. I really hope their momentum stays up. It's not about how you vote, we all need to VOTE!

Date: November 03, 2018 01:55PM

Thank you so much, Susan!!

Thank you for putting in the effort to vote knowledgeably, and for the best welfare of everyone, in all of the areas affected by the votes of you and your husband.

Your fellow nationals appreciate you, and your efforts!!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 10:19PM

Some of my relatives have already voted early for the mid-terms where they live in Idaho. Wish we had that option here.

I've been an independent for most my adult life. I've always tried to vote for the lesser of whatever the two evils are running on the ballot (or more.)

We're voting for a governor, attorney general vacancy, and a congressional seat that's been tinged by insider trading.

I'm thrilled that more Millenials than ever will be voting. They are as hyped to be able to make a difference in this election as the next guy. And, I might add, a force of their own to be reckoned with.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 11:15PM

In our little town, the mayor and city treasurer embezzled several thousand dollars from the city coffers. He was convicted and had to repay what they had stolen. A couple years later he had his record expunged. Now he is a sitting member of our city counsel. (Interestingly enough he is a direct descendant of John D. Lee.) Since he was a good Mo, people simply look the other way.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 03, 2018 01:01AM

My problem is many offices only have one option. Too many run unopposed. I don't fill in the little curcke unless there is a choice.

Date: November 03, 2018 02:04AM

I don't know what state you are in (and it is probably not a good idea for you to identify the state you are in unless you have thought this through), but on California's current ballot (the Los Angeles County version):

1) This is the General Election, so there are two options for every political office (these two options were chosen by the electors in the Primary Election a few months ago), BUT.....

2) California State Supreme Court Associate Justice, and California Court of Appeals Justice (two different offices), plus Court of Appeal Justice (seventeen different offices), are "YES" or "NO" choices, in the following form (actual example of the second office from our real ballot):

For Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
Shall Associate Justice
Leondra R. Kruger
be elected to the office for the term provided by law?

The options available are Number 65 which is YES, [or]
Number 66 which is NO.

My sense is that this is because these particular offices are first filled with individuals chosen by the Governor, and I believe that after their individual first, or subsequent, terms have been largely served, if they want to continue in that position, the electorate must ratify their continuing in the office "for the term provided by law." (This means that the electorate has the ability to eventually get rid of a justice if this becomes something the electorate thinks is prudent.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 02:09AM by Tevai.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:44AM

I voted early yesterday. Spent a great deal of time reviewing voting records. Was planning to wait until Tuesday, but a death in my “family” has me driving a couple hours south for a funeral Tuesday.

One of my friends was working at city hall for early voting, she told me that as of Friday 8000 people had voted early in our city of 53000 people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.