Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:16AM

I expect a prophet, a mouthpiece of God to have known better.

I am really shell-shocked by the way the church continues to portray him as a saint.

Slavery - A Divine Institution

A letter written by Joseph Smith, the first Mormon prophet, to the Messenger and Advocate, an early Mormon newspaper, deriding those who would end slavery. Later, this letter was printed in "History of the Church":

“DEAR SIR: —This place (Kirtland) having recently been visited by a gentleman who advocated the principles or doctrines of those who are called ABOLITIONISTS, and his presence having created an interest in that subject, if you deem the following reflections of any service, or think they will have a tendency to correct the opinions of the Southern public,...you are at liberty to give them publicity... I FEAR that the sound might go out, that 'an Abolitionist' had held forth several times to this community,...all, except a very few, attended to their own vocations, and left the gentleman to hold forth his own arguments to nearly naked walls. I am aware that many, who PROFESS to preach the Gospel, complain against their brethren of the same faith, who reside in the South, and are ready to withdraw the hand of fellowship, because they will not renounce the principle of slavery, and raise their voice against every thing of the kind. This must be a tender point, and one which should call forth the candid reflections of all men, and more especially before they advance in an opposition calculated to lay waste the fair states of the South, and let loose upon the world a community of people, who might, peradventure, OVERRUN OUR COUNTRY, AND VIOLATE THE MOST SACRED PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN SOCIETY, CHASTITY AND VIRTUE.... I do not believe that the people of the North have any more right to say that the South shall not hold slaves, than the South have to say the North shall. “How any community can ever be excited with the CHATTER of such persons, boys and others, who are too indolent to obtain their living by honest industry, and are incapable of pursuing any occupation of a professional nature, is unaccountable to me; and when I see persons in the free states, signing documents against slavery, it is no less, in my mind, than an army of influence, and a DECLARATION OF HOSTILITIES, against the people of the South. What course can sooner divide our union? “After having expressed myself so freely upon this subject, I do not doubt, but those who have been forward in raising their voices against the South, will cry out against me as being uncharitable, unfeeling, unkind, and wholly unacquainted with the Gospel of Christ....the first mention we have of SLAVERY is found in the Holy Bible,... And so far from that prediction being averse to the mind of God, it remains as a lasting monument of the DECREE OF JEHOVAH, to the shame and confusion of all who HAVE CRIED OUT against the South, in consequence of their holding the sons of Ham in SERVITUDE.... I can say, the CURSE IS NOT YET TAKEN OFF FROM THE SONS OF CANAAN, neither will be until it is affected by as great a power as caused it to come; and the people who INTERFERE THE LEAST WITH THE PURPOSES OF GOD in this matter, will come under the LEAST CONDEMNATION BEFORE HIM; and those who are determined to pursue a course, which shows an opposition, and a feverish restlessness against the DECREES OF THE LORD, will learn, when perhaps it is too late for their own good, that God can do his own work, without the aid of those who are not dictated by His counsel.”

(History of the Church, by Joseph Smith, Vol. 2, pages 436-438)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:23AM

Date: June 15, 2011 05:25AM

Oh really?

Speaking as a man?

I think not! Is that what TBM's say?

There is NO ROOM for God's mouthpiece to speak as a man!

I reject that explanation!

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:32AM

Probably because AIC (from what I can tell) seems to be a woman.

Just saying (sorry Ron)...

Date: June 15, 2011 06:29AM

AIC is definitely a woman silly head!

What gave you the impression I am a woman?

Cause I want to say naughty things about your moniker?

No speaking as a man is what TBMs say when the prophet is caught in a lie?

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 07:09AM

speaking as a donkey...or maybe as a jackass, but definitely not as a man. I only like reading the stuff that he said when he spoke as a rabbit, but that's just me. ;o)

Someone once told me he was a prophet, but I've never seen any indication of that.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:27AM

Frustrating.

Date: June 15, 2011 06:30AM

Yes very frustrating!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 08:31AM

Just so you know, the explanation "speaking like a man" was never heard in the church until about five years ago, when the church began detente with Catholicism and climbed in bed with their declared Whore of Babylon.

Apparently she was pretty good, because they decided to imitate her success in surviving with their prelate template in tact.

The Pope is "speaking for Christ" but only when he is speaking as the pope. Otherwise, he can make mistakes, because he "speaks as a man."

I have decided to apply this principle to my diet. When I am eating, the calories don't count unless I declare that I am eating as Anagrammy.

Anagrammy

Date: June 15, 2011 02:42PM

Seconding Anagrammy!

Tehehehehehehehe!

Posted by: holytheghost ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 03:09PM

no, I recall the phrase being used in the mid 80's to explain how the prophet Joseph could believe in moon men.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 03:10PM by holytheghost.

Date: June 15, 2011 03:12PM

"sup holy!

Posted by: holytheghost ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:48PM

Not much. You?

Date: June 15, 2011 05:49PM

Nothing on me goes up!

But I am fine!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 04:04PM

That's so sweet. Real talk, for all the shit I give AIC I'm sure she's the one out of everybody on here that I'd get along with the best in person. I just like to get a rise out of her.

Date: June 15, 2011 04:46PM

I thought I already told you you give me lady wood!

Duh!

Honestly I feel the same way too, we would be the best of friends.

I tend to be easy going!

Date: June 15, 2011 04:56PM

But seriously, what is your beef with God?

Just you and me.

Tell me your story!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 05:08PM

I don't have a beef with any god. I have a beef with people who attempt to control other people with superstitious fairy tales that only serve to frighten others into utilizing a socially-sanctioned cultural operating system.

The god you describe in all your posts seems pretty cool to me. It's just not the one I read about in the bible. That's all.

Date: June 15, 2011 05:27PM

Ohhhh gotcha!

Well that is the real God. And yes now you see why this God MUST be kept under wraps cause if we know him, MAN/people and organizations loose their power to control us for their gain!

He is Awesome, that much I know!

Once I came to that understanding, the rest just wasn't worth my time!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.