Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 02:52PM

Some "Witness" is pretty pissed off

Apparently, 5 JW's torched here in Washington State.

Pity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 03:08PM

Just to be clear, it's "Kingdom Halls" (buildings) that have been torched.
Not JWs themselves.

(I had to look it up to be sure...)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/09/us/jehovahs-witnesses-attacks-washington-state/index.html

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 08:54PM

but yeah. It's disturbing. I might not believe in god/s, but I'm mos def not cool with burning down the house (of worship).

Posted by: OxymormonNLI ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 09:00PM

Probably a disgruntled former member.

Posted by: Rusty's Left Nutt ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 09:29PM

The Governing Body is trying to sell off thousands of Kingdom Halls and make JWs drive twice as far on Sunday, because they have "judgments" worth 100's of millions in sex-abuse cases settled and pending, which are gonna reach well into the billions by the time all of them are settled. The Watchtower does not have tithing and JWs gave "any amount" they wished monthly. That has recently changed with "pledges" (a percentage of income determined by the JWs themselves but they must give it monthly unlike before when they gave only when "prompted by the Spirit").

So, many ex-JWs are ANGRY that the Governing Body is selling off Kingdom Halls that they, their parents, and their grandparents built with their own hands, and PAID FOR IN FULL. Local Congregations both build and "pay for" local Kingdom Halls.

That used to be the same thing in the Church before Gordon B. Hinckley took over. Now, the Governing Body is having a huge "garage sale" of Kingdom Halls that "they" did not build nor pay for, and then pocketing the money. Most of said money is going to "cover" the legal fees and court judgments because local JW "Elders" were instructed by the Governing Body to NOT inform local police when JW children were being sexually molested! In other words, the Watchtower instructed local "Elders" to IGNORE THE LAW that requires ministers to inform police when they hear of children (not adults) being sexually molested. Yes, the LDS Church has done this before too.

The Watchtower doesn't have 37 billion invested in the stock market like the LDS Church does. In fact, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has SOLD most of it's Brooklyn properties, build a 300,000,000 new "H.Q." in Warwick New York (out in a private forest next to a private lake), and closed down most of its printing operations. Some people are very angry at this, because their parents/grandparents sacrificed college, retirement, to BUILD these local Kingdom Halls, just to watch them now be "sold" so the Governing Body can have the money to cover legal costs and court judgments. Very sad.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:18PM

...yeah, I went over to the Brooklyn Watchtower headquarters years ago. I think that's all they had as far as HDQTR's back then. Mainly, admin, book-binding and cafeteria facility for the workers, non-descript offices from what I saw.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:54PM

is anyone suggesting their KHs are being torched for insurance $ ?

or to keep them from being sold?

Posted by: Rusty's Left Nut ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 04:28AM

In my opinion, an ex-JW who had family who sacrificed a LOT to build one or more Kingdom Halls, is torching them, so that the Governing Body can't sell them in order to pay for the sexual abuse judgments against the Watch Tower. Can I "prove" that? Of course not, but the Kingdom Halls were built literally by Jehovah's Witnesses. Every brick paid for locally. Now, the Watch Tower Governing Body is "confiscating" the Kingdom Halls, and selling many off to "pay" for court judgments, and JWs are watching the Halls they built with their own hands, and paid for out of their own pockets, being confiscated and SOLD to pay off court judgments and for fancy New York City lawyers.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 11:53PM

I have a perfectly good alibi.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 09:41AM

Some JWs believe the Kingdom Halls are burning because those “end times” are here.

Posted by: brigantia not logged in ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 11:25AM

Leaving JW religion comes at a terrible cost. Families are routinely weaponised against apostates who, having sacrificed further education and life opportunities, wake up and escape the organisation. Many lose all social and family connections, finding themselves completely alone and often homeless and destitute. Not unlike someone escaping FLDS. This practice, along with other abuses, is a breeding ground for revenge.

Just another possible angle on things, though JWs love a dose of persecution to reinforce their narrative.

Briggy

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 05:47PM

Some arsonist scum.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:02PM

I live in the city where this is happening.
Its been going on for a year.
That and cats are getting ritually butchered.
Sick MFers

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.