Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 12:32AM

My DH is always after me to drink more water. I have a little thermos-like container that I always carry with me, but that doesn't guarantee that I drink from it.

He pointed out that last winter, my appetite had dropped off so significantly that at one point, I literally did not have enough strength to get up from the floor and get back into bed It was scary. I remember being on my knees, with my arms flung across the bed (and my cell phone was just out of reach) and wondering why the [bleep] I couldn't get back in bed.Fortunately, that has gone away.

It definitely seems to be a seasonal thing. I have hated Fall and Winter for as long as I can remember. Setting the clock back in the Fall has always been a kind of trigger, even in childhood. I can remember thinking as a kid that it abruptly cut short those wonderful, long summer evenings I spent with my friends.

I have lost so much weight that I can't wear my wedding ring any more. Just washing my hands with soap and water is tempting fate that it will go down the drain. It is that loose. (Actually, I have quit wearing it for fear of losing it.)

I'm a few pounds heavier than I was last summer, when I had c. diff, but not many. I remember my daughter the RN coming by the hospital to check on me and she said, "That's not just weight loss, Mom. That's MALNUTRITION." (I've had to fight chubbiness all my life. This sort of thing requires new psychological glasses.) The illness caused my lack of appetite in summer.

The current, cold-weather thing is not physical illness. It is a general loathing of darkness and cold that seem to immobilize me. I don't even like to open my curtains if all I'm going to see outside is bare trees and grey skies.

I've looked up some stuff about SAD. They all recommend more vitamin D. I can't take the stuff. It has been specifically prohibited by my renal nurse, as it somehow messes with my kidneys. I am reluctant to go outside and pick up "rays" because it is COLD here. Also, I would have to use my walker as I can't walk much any more.

I have considered having homes in San Diego and Sydney, and switching off every six months, but my retirement pay won't cover that.

Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:31AM

Hi, Catnip. I bought a special lamp for my son when he lived in SLC. Long time ago, but as I remember, it had a full-spectrum bulb. He put it on his desk. He said it helped a lot. Good luck.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 05:24AM

I agree with Kathleen. There are lights made to specifically cope with SAD. Apparently they work quite well.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 09:53AM

I have one of these and I will never be without one again. You really need about 15 minutes a day with the lamp to get the benefit and the vitamin D boost.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 03:37AM

You NEED one of these!
verilux.com

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:43PM

The only thing I worry about the light therapy for Catnip is whether the artificially induced light generating Vitamin D to the body might have the same effect were Catnip to take an over-the-counter supplement, on her kidneys?

I'd run that one past your doctor, Catnip, to be on the safe side.

Date: December 15, 2018 01:39AM

Thank you, Amyjo, and it's on my list of questions for next appt.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:32AM

Nah, I just have happy.
I have a cousin named Happy
And someone's dog is named Happy.
But really, winter comes and goes.

Generally we do more inside in the winter.
Depending on where we are, and the climate.
And what we have [like?] to do, to right it.
Or to fight it. Or skinny dipping in hot water!

Winter is more dreamy for me. Various quieter times.
Foods and moods and friends and funs are different.

I send you the best, warmest, highest regards.
It they need to be higher, they're hired-
Especially if they are fired up!
The elements are 'finer'?

M@t

Date: December 12, 2018 01:57AM

It's all - what we can "control", right? - ALL about Light, and Color, Feng Shui-Wabi Sabi, stuff like that.

Light can Color our worlds and dramatically change moods and feelings like nothing else (it's how we see things). Color can Light our worlds and drastically change moods and feelings like nothing else (it's how we feel things). Music can do a lot too - and it's ALL out there! Ask for any recommendations. I do light, mostly color, and organization-design, and love music, and know what it (can do) 'does' to/ for me, and have extreme wisdom there in the love of young, old, and new sound worlds. I know what nature does/ can do too but we are speaking of our inner worlds, so, can I recommend: Shopping? Baths? Books? Foods? Drinks? Fire [camp/ candles/ lamps]?

Find-Make places, if you can, that make you feel YOU/ beautiful/ natural/ comfortable/ relaxed, whatever it may be, and relish in that.

M@t

P.S. This wasn't supposed to be here... but then again, I was supposed to have another beer. To late to move... to tired to care...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 02:20AM by moremany.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:45AM

I hated the coming of Fall while growing up because it meant going back to public school, funny thing though, I probably would not have minded public school so much except that it made my already way too hectic life much more hectic, as my parent's basically worked me like a slave doing farm labor, and guess what the number one cause of being over harried was in my MORmON dominated life? Here is a clue, it was an organization that insisted on doing ordinances to save dead people, AS IF there was not already too much for the living to cope with, and they were in such a hurry saving the dead that they used to talk as fast as possible, like auctioneers on meth, when performing that busy work idiocy in the interest of getting it more of it done and done faster.

I actually enjoy Fall now.

Doing Farm chores was Hell in the Winter. Doing Farm work in the Summer was pretty grueling but since I did not have to deal with school, I had a preference for summer time and being worked like a slave. ..... I was stupid!!!

I had to work on my car out doors in a parking lot at night two weeks ago since the starter went out at a business. The car had to be jacked up for the repair. It took two nights to get it done. The first night the temperature was 39 F and it drizzled the entire time. The second night it was about 32 F ( Freezing) but much drier. Not fun, but it could have been MUCH worse,
and being a realist, it was MUCH better that having to do it in the intense summer sunshine when it is in 90's and sweat drips off the end of my nose and my chin.

Date: December 12, 2018 02:13AM

Smirkorama > "I had to work on my car... two weeks ago (starter)... It took two nights... it drizzled the entire time.
... it was MUCH better than having to do it in the intense summer sunshine when it is in 90's and sweat drips off the end of my nose and my chin."

Starters are Going out everywhere! I swear. Same scenario nearly to a 't' for me: 2 weeks ago, 2 attempts-days; cool, drizzles weather... BETTER than the sweltering summer sun of 97 [with 98% humidity] when your waters pour out to keep you JUST below 100! Friend helping me had car repairs to do immediately fixing mine, so I helped him, and three other friends had starters going out! I need more/ less(?) (newer?) friends and less/ more(?) cars.

It's winter time. That's when these things fail.
In summer, it's tires, brakes, seatbelts, windows.......
Bikes are cool, some cooler than others...
Feet are always good, but not always quick enough!
Horses are good! Steel machines to faster.

Vrummm~

M@t

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:58AM

Ask your daughter if she can get any of the liquid meals they give in hospitals for food supplements. When was the last time you had your bloods checked?

Date: December 13, 2018 12:33AM

Labs work due later this month, but it's mainly related to things renal, not SAD. I have no idea what lab work might be related to SAD.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:33AM

Love Winter and Autumn. I love snow. I love Winter clothes, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.
I love accessories, have lots of scarves, mittens, gloves and ear muffs of different colours.
I love sledding, ice skating, hot chocolate, apple cid, different hot teas,etc
I’m also a “ Winter”, clothes and makeup wise.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:45AM

I’m the opposite; I get depressed in the Summer. I hate sweating and my feet swell up , to where my shoes and socks are hard to get off, and my fingers swell and I can’t get my ring off,
They’re like sausages, my fingers are.
The heat just makes me miserable. My hair is extra frizzy too.

Date: December 12, 2018 07:46AM

It is possible to get SAD from too much daylight, including living in sunbelt states.

Although typically targets those living in the northern climate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 07:47AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:32PM

I looked it up a few years back because in July and August I felt horrible. When fall came, I felt better. There is actually a thing called reverse SAD. The location of the sun in the sky and how intense it is is part of the problem.

I do better in winter if I walk. It is too bad you can't go out and walk catnip. I agree with others on the light. I've heard really good things about it.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 09:55PM

I agree. I hate spring/summer too.

Summer in the south is hell. Violent t-storms that take down trees. Violent, long lived hurricanes that take down trees and take out power. And everyday all summer until mid-October,oppressive heat and humidity. It sucks.

I dislike spring bc it is an entire season of dread—of summer.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 06:19AM

I tried anti-depressants a few years ago when things were particularly dismal. Unfortunately, I "went toxic" on Prozac, and I couldn't tolerate the side effects.

My therapist/mentor recommend I "get out of the valley" a little. Park City is only an hours drive, and when you are up there, you are above the inversions, and the sun is often shining.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 07:18AM

Strange how much weather affects us. I live in Queensland Australia and it's very warm at this time of the year and I sometimes wonder what it's like to have snow at Christmas.

Instead we sing carols about Let it Snow and then head down to the beach.

And poor Santa is all dressed up and is sweating like a newt.

Wish I could send a little of our sun in your direction.

Date: December 13, 2018 12:37AM

I had the option of going to the beach afterward. Proximity to the beach would change everything!! Even if the water was cold and I had to get a wetsuit. I don't care.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 04:50PM

In Montana one can add temps often reaching -30 (or more) and high winds that never stop. Many times it will be that cold with huge sunlight and not a cloud in the Big Sky.

I try not to venture too far from the fireplace during these times.

Date: December 12, 2018 07:53AM

Vitamin D is one recommendation. Light therapy another. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist to see what would be safe, given your limitations.

Welbutrin is the most commonly prescribed script for SAD, from October to March.

I get SAD. Since I can no longer tolerate Welbutrin (it caused me to have hypertension.) I use the lowest dose of Cymbalta, which seems to be working well. It's non-drowsy like the Welbutrin.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:30AM

Are you sure you're not missing some vital nutrient like potassium?

I don't like cold. But aside from that, fall and winter are fine with me. I' especially cheered by the winter holiday decorations and music.

Hope you feel better.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:10PM

WHAT IS S.A.D. ?

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:20PM

I used to get terribly depressed, beginning every October.

A few years ago I bought one of the "natural light" lamps and I have it sitting above my computer so that the light from it shines directly in my eyes. I find that it helps a lot.

To thedesertrat1: SAD means "seasonal affective disorder"; it's the mild to severe depression that many people suffer from during the darker days of winter.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:34PM

Thank you

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:20PM

I'm guessing that there's been some scientific research on this,

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/seasonal-affective-disorder/index.shtml

I've lived both in Washington & Minnesota, I wasn't aware of it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 02:22PM by GNPE.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:36PM

I used to love it. Skiing, skating, no more bugs and killer humid days.
About three years ago I did a 180. I'm not sure what happened but I joined the Winter haters. Short cold and gray days, day after day. I don't like driving in the snow and ice anymore.
Crazy sub-zero temps and high heat bills don't help either.
I feel beat and miserable a lot of the time.

Date: December 12, 2018 02:43PM

There was a time I used to dread the days getting shorter and lack of sunshine. I don't anymore. Although wouldn't mind hibernating between fall and spring, were it an option.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:50PM

lots of Snowbirds (ppl go to AZ & SoCal in winters ; in Summers, AZ ppl come here to escape Heat) & Sunbirds (ppl escaping Alaska winters come here) where I live.

RV ppl & p. timers run this place.

Date: December 12, 2018 11:21PM

Saints affected disorder

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 05:01AM

Get out of the house, and drive to a scenic place--like Park City--where there are beautiful snow-covered trees, a creek, or a lake. If the roads are bad, drive to a local park. Park the car, and roll down the windows. The cool air is revitalizing.

A full-spectrum light box really works!!! I used one for years, especially to get me up Sunday mornings for church. Since I resigned, I don't need it, except during inversions. The light cheers me right up!

If you miss the water, go to a water-aerobics class! You get bright lights in an indoor pool, music, good company with other class members, and a feeling that you are improving. Exercise helps the appetite. Aerobic exercises releases your body's natural endorphins, giving you a "high." It's real!

Turn music or the TV--not the news, but something that cheers you up--and do exercises sitting down. You can find those online.

Snow is quiet. The neighbors are quiet, except for their snow blowers. In the summer, our neighborhood turns into a construction zone, plus everyone mows their lawns early in the morning or late in the evening, and the noise keeps us from enjoying our patio and yard.

Develop some winter indoor hobbies, like reading, knitting, playing the piano. Take a class online, during "Winter Quarter". Winter is opera season, which makes me happy. My husband used to get depressed when football season ended, but we looked forward to the bowl games in winter, and planned a Superbowl party. Hockey is fun to watch, and basketball. Follow your favorite teams to March Madness.

Be aware of your happiness, and make an effort to keep yourself happy. I think we have to work at it, sometimes. Happiness is contagious, and it benefits those around you. When I'm depressed (PTSD), I try to be around positive people. It really helps to "fake it 'till you make it", and behave like I'm happy. Smile, look nice, look on the bright side of things.

You must look out the windows! I agree that it helps to be outdoors. Take up bird watching. Feed the birds and squirrels. Bundle up, and go out on your porch, as much as you can tolerate. If it's too cold, look at the weather forecast, and make plans for when it warms up a bit. I like to go out on the patio when it is snowing, because the temperature is a bit warmer during a storm, and I play with the dog, and laugh, as she romps in the snow, and tries to catch snowflakes in her mouth. The kids love to play in the show. Even the cat likes it.

During a hard month, plan ahead for when the season changes. For example, get your spring cleaning over with in the winter, so you can enjoy the spring. I have a friend who hates summer, and she does her Christmas shopping in August, so she will have more time to ski with her family during Christmas vacation. She likes the "back to school" sales. I clean my garage in August, because it's cool in there, away from the sun, and the music headphones drown out all the loud motors, outside.

You will hate me, but I lived by the ocean for 15 years, and the same-ness of the relentless glaring sun and heat and humidity got me down, sometimes. I missed the fresh start that each season used to bring. We loved it--but we had to escape to the north, every few months, and we spent our summer vacations in the mountains. Change is good! I thing winter helps people appreciate summer more.

Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 09:41AM

I think I do. I was diagnosed with depression a while ago and it’s pretty severe all year long,but winter always makes it so much worse.

I recently downloaded a guided meditation app. It’s been helping me get through the day.

I really need to get out of Utah. The weather is killing me slowly.

Date: December 13, 2018 11:01AM

Southern Utah is better. It has over 300 days a year of sunshine. Plus it's warmer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 11:18AM

I'm in New York, and it just started snowing...since I never get snow in SoCal, I'm rather enjoying it.
But the best part is I get to leave it behind tomorrow :)

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 11:55PM

Winter is absolutely wonderful. Snow covered landscape. Bare trees making graphic statements against moonlit snowscapes. Snowy owls across the prairie. SunDogs, ice crystal shows in the sky, Gemidids meteor shower, Winter Solstice, ice fishing, Cross country skiing, sledding...

It is a great time of year.

I don't ice fish but a lot in our area do and big fishing derby celebrations for kids and adults bring in big crowds.

Winter is a lot of fun - and I really like it in Northern Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota - all of which I have enjoyed - generally within 50 miles of the Canadian border.

Nothing quite like a major light show of Auroras in the night sky when it is 40 below with clear skies.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:05PM

I get it too. I found joining a well-lit gym helps a lot. I think is the combination of the exercise and not sitting around the house being bored.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:14PM

I hate having to wheel (I'm in a wheelchair) through snow/ice!!! Winter didn't bother me too much until I got put in this chair.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 05:06PM

I'm a person who loves seasonal changes. I would only say, "Embrace Winter!" And... Other than moving to sinking Florida, what choice do you have?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.