Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 07:27PM

Australian court convicts Cardinal George Pell on child sex abuse charges, making him the highest-ranking cleric...
https://wapo.st/2zVbvlh

Pell has been convicted in Australia on charges related to sexual abuse, according to two sources familiar with the case and other media reports, becoming the most prominent Vatican official to face such a punishment.

The conviction provides one of the clearest examples to date of how the sexual abuse scandal has eroded the church’s credibility while ensnaring figures in the upper echelons of power. Pell, who has declared his innocence, had taken a leave of absence from the Vatican’s third-most-powerful position, as the economy minister, to fight the charges.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 07:43PM

Once again we see that the Vatican is determined to eradicate child abuse, and child abusers, just as fast as the civil authorities demand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 03:28AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 07:51PM

...as of yesterday, there was a media blackout on the details of the case. It was acknowledged by some to be Pell, but, the AU/UK news outlets were being denied the names of complainants and type of crimes which occurred. Glad to see the facts finally come out.

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2018/12/12/cardinal-pell-top-advisor-pope-francis-found-guilty-historical-sexual-offenses

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 07:53PM

Sentencing in February, additional charges coming next year.

The secular world has had mixed reactions to Pope Francis. On the one hand, he's been reticent (to put it mildly) in dealing with sexual abuse issues around the world. On the other hand, he's a booster on "social justice issues" like "global warming," immigration, economic inequality, and the like, which makes sense, because coming from Argentina he was immersed in "Liberation Theology."

Or is that, "Sexual Liberation Theology?"

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:02PM

Some issues are more important than others.

From where LW sits, there's nothing as critical as protecting children.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 11:34PM

I agree with you, LW. Sometimes I picture Francis eventually crossing over, and meeting his maker, who tells him, "You had ONE job."

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 12:45PM

Have you ever heard of the "Protecting Brethren" movement? Its a wondrous movement that I'm part of thanks to the holy Correlation program training my brain to analyze life a certain way. I grew up in the [long] Church (which I used to call by an abhorrent "M" word that I don't repeat because I've been taught that its a victory for Satan) where in the early years as a toddler I had a strong testimony that the Cheerios in Nursery were true. Thus I was hooked into following the beloved Correlation program so that it trained my brain to analyze things the way we're taught to analyze them - its called obedience; and distracting activities like thinking or asking questions are simply not tolerated as being anywhere as important as exact obedience.

If any of you want to have your brains learn to process life the Correlation way then go see some [long] missionaries or Bishop to get started on this wondrous journey.

There was a Bishop in the Church named Sam Young whose brain stopped processing things the Correlation way and he came up with this unapproved idea of protecting children. His approach could hurt the opinion people have about the Brethren because some people seem to think that creepy old men in powers of absolute authority over their Wards shouldn't be interviewing children 1:1 to ask them questions about sex. Thus we have the "Protecting Brethren" program in place that excommunicated this Bishop and sent a strong message that our children are going to be at the mercy of these holy Bishops, regardless of whether or not they are creepy abusive men.

How we are taught to feel about this can be understood if you understand the Correlation way of processing things in our brains. Sheep don't question things. They just obey.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 07:59PM

...hey, give the guy a break! He likes the girls? (hopefully) Think Sopranos.........

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2017/12/08/13/bada-bing.jpg?w968h681

http://imgur.com/7XXQCpZ.jpg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.