Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 12:57PM

I get a kick out of hearing the exact same songs every year by artists who are long gone except at Christmas. We get to hear Burl Ives, Gene Autry, Mel Torme, Nat King Cole, and Ella Fitzgerald.

I like the old, some would say tired, songs I sang as a kid like Silent Night and We Three Kings. I like the traditional versions better than the over the top hyped up way they're sometimes done.

Two songs I don't like are The 12 Days of Christmas and Little Drummer Boy.

Do you like Christmas music? Do you hate some of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:01PM

Like.
But the jazzed-up versions of some songs are a turn-off.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:08PM

Absolutely effing HATE Jingle Bells!

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:15PM

Years ago a co-worker of mine replaced the word "Christmas" in Christmas songs with the word "penis". He called them "Penis Carols". I've been doing it ever since.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:24PM

I like them all about the same, but we only play them on Christmas eve as we hang around the house.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:37PM

https://youtu.be/5aP2FMuvwkk
I love Vienna Boys Choir and Liberia boys choir.
I always loved this clip too, my favourite Christmas song, if I had to pick one

Date: December 13, 2018 01:48PM

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:38PM

Hate "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"

Like you, Cheryl, I am more into the older ones. Including Denver's "Rocky Mountain Christmas"

Date: December 13, 2018 01:50PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:52PM

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 04:04PM

angela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hate "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"
>
> Like you, Cheryl, I am more into the older ones.
> Including Denver's "Rocky Mountain Christmas"

I agree with you, Angela! That song Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer has to be the worst.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 04:05PM

I hope the people who wrote and/or performed that crap of a song get hit by a semi.

Date: December 13, 2018 01:45PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:47PM

I don't like any. Most of them sound so sad and clingy and cloying. Forced emotion. No wonder so many people kill themselves on the holidays.

That being said, when I hear someone start with that "par rum pum pum" thing--drummer boy--I start wishing there really were angels with flaming swords to at least seal the lips of the singer for a month since actually smiting them would be a step too far.

Date: December 13, 2018 01:52PM

Done & Done Wrote:
No wonder
> so many people kill themselves on the holidays.
>
>

IIRC, More people kill themselves around May/June (time for graduations) than around the holidays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 01:52PM by angela.

Date: December 13, 2018 01:53PM

Date: December 13, 2018 01:53PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> n/t

According to this article, suicides are actually lowest during December

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/suicide/holiday.html

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:08PM

Thanks. I always had heard the opposite. That's good news at least for this time of year. The May/June really surprises me. You never know!

Date: December 13, 2018 02:15PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Thanks. I always had heard the opposite. That's
> good news at least for this time of year. The
> May/June really surprises me. You never know!

Yea, apparently its a LONG standing myth about suicide and the holidays that just won't go away.

Maybe because of the myth, people try to be more supportive, more "there" for people who are vulnerable, and prevention actually works.

It's the other times of the year that people fall thru the cracks

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:57PM

I detest that "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" song. Two of my favorites are "Santa Baby" and "Baby It's Cold Outside." Go ahead, flame me.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 07:26PM

Paul's Xmas crap is almost on the top of my most hated list . Santa Baby makes me want to commit mass murder on anyone wearing a stupid SAnta hat . Baby it's cold it a good enough tune if you are OK with date rape . Rock Stars should be prohibited from doing X Mas songs . Do they know it Christmas time, that we are the world type piece of garbage . Lets see about 40percent of people who live on the African continent are Cristins and pretty sure it's a well know holiday christian or not . Die Bono Die .

Date: December 14, 2018 09:59AM

Yeah, I'm not exactly ok with date rape, or being told that I am because I like that song. I guess I saw an adult being told by her daddy what time she had to be home and I love that she's mulling bucking controlling daddy and how nice to have someone encouraging her to stay. And I always thought it was cute. Yes, I'm old. But I will admit, that with all the controversy, I recently listened really well to the words (i.e, "what's in this drink?) and thought "wowzer, in today's world that is just too close to social unacceptability." If I had a teen, it would be a great conversation starter and I'd probably have it.

But trust me, I've had plenty of times where I've asked "what's in this drink" because I'm a late-to-life drinker and things will hit me faster than they will other people and I want to know why so I'll know to maybe avoid that in the future. And the person giving me the drink had no intention of raping me anymore than the writer of that song envisioned someone drawing that conclusion. I just think progressives need to pick their battles and making a stupid issue of 70-year-old Christmas tunes makes people tone deaf to the real issues.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 01:57PM

TBM DW plays "Wexford Carol" over and over, and I've grown use to that tune kicking off Christmas at the old Cludgie place. My taste is also in the lesser-known British and Celtic carols, and well-known German carols. Tunes like that bring on the Christmas for me. Just don't like what have become the common American ones.

(A daughter of mine really loves the Welsh Christmas hymn, "On to Bethlehem Town." (I think it's called "A Tua Betlehem" in Welsh.) Anyway, her friend insisted my daughter and I record it for her, and later she put it on YouTube (without asking). Kind of embarrassing to have it dangling out there, but the past couple of years I've had to listen to it a couple of times at Christmas, realizing that my daughter and I will likely never do anything like this again. So here it is:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65kDIt8yFVM .

Date: December 13, 2018 02:09PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 09:01PM

That was wonderful.

Date: December 14, 2018 01:18PM

I think that is just incredibly beautiful. Your daughter has the perfect Celtic sounding voice. And those are my favorite kind of holiday songs too.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:11PM

I loved that carol. One of my favorites is the Glouchestershire Wassail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CZ7Ly0hkw

Date: December 13, 2018 02:02PM

I like this version of Little Drummer Boy, R.I.P. Bing and David
https://youtu.be/n9kfdEyV3RQ

Date: December 13, 2018 02:27PM

Hockeyrat Wrote:
> I like this version of Little Drummer Boy, R.I.P.
> Bing and David
> https://youtu.be/n9kfdEyV3RQ

A FAV of mine.

Crosby died 5 weeks later after recording the special

Date: December 13, 2018 02:51PM

That’s sad. I really liked his voice and Bob Crosby’s jazz/ big band group

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:18PM

Good they both are dead so as to not ever have the possibility of another horrible collaboration such as this Shiite

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:06PM

Depends on my mood. If I had a good year and I'm in party it up mode I embrace the whole pop culture of Christmas in a total sickening way. If I've had a bad year and I'm not in a good mood I can be the biggest Scrooge you ever met.

We live in the age of satellite radio and MP3's. You can listen to whatever you want. Sometimes I enjoy hearing the old Bing and Dean Christmas songs and other times it's like please! No more of that old shit!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:14PM

I hate, loathe, and detest "Santa Baby."

In my opinion, this 1953 song is one of the smarmiest songs ever written in the otherwise, often glorious, history of American music.

Date: December 13, 2018 02:18PM

IT is the truest Christmas song ever! Nothing says Christmas like gold-digging Santa well, except god-digging Jesus as in every Christmas song out there proclaiming a god baby a world saver if you are a good boy/girl/whatever.

Date: December 13, 2018 02:29PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> IT is the truest Christmas song ever! Nothing says
> Christmas like gold-digging Santa well, except
> god-digging Jesus as in every Christmas song out
> there proclaiming a god baby a world saver if you
> are a good boy/girl/whatever.

Unfortunately for me, my becoming a Jew didn't then exempt me from being assaulted by this song (usually over p.a. systems) during this time of year.

This song really DOES upset me because I can't stand people who negatively, or exploitatively, manipulate others.

Posted by: eastofthemississsippi ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:50PM

It's not Christmas until I hear "Wonderful Christmas Time" and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over). But my favorite two Christmas songs are "Merry Christmas From The Family", the original Robert Earl Keen version; and "Grateful For Christmas", Hayes Carll.

Date: December 13, 2018 04:56PM

"Merry Christmas From The Family"

Great one!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:54PM

I heard the bells on Christmas day. My favorite

Posted by: mormonrealitycheck ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 03:11PM

Can't stand "Mary, Did You Know?". Just repulsive. Based on so much myth, erroneous translation, and high Christology. I keep wondering how Jews can stand to listen to it. Perhaps they can't.

Just garbage.

Posted by: Not for this ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 03:58PM

Sorry for this being a downer.

My favorite was o hush thee my baby. My mother sang it to me. I sang it to my children.

It was my go to lullaby.

When my son took sick and was having a hard time sleeping I'd lie in the hospital bed and sing him to sleep.

On night, somewhere in the song he took his last breath.

I swore I'd never sing it again.

Some years later as I held my first grandchild, she was fussing and instinctively I sang to her.

O hush thee my baby a story to tell
how little lord Jesus on earth came to dwell
how in a far country way over the sea
was born a wee baby, a wee one like thee.

Hush a by baby, hush a by dear
sleep little baby, have nothing to fear
hush a by baby hush a by dear
Jesus will care for his little one dear.

Thanks for letting me share.

Date: December 13, 2018 04:17PM

Not for this Wrote:
> Sorry for this being a downer.
>
> My favorite was o hush thee my baby. My mother
> sang it to me. I sang it to my children.
>
> It was my go to lullaby.
>
> When my son took sick and was having a hard time
> sleeping I'd lie in the hospital bed and sing him
> to sleep.
>
> On night, somewhere in the song he took his last
> breath.
>
> I swore I'd never sing it again.
>
> Some years later as I held my first grandchild,
> she was fussing and instinctively I sang to her.
>
> O hush thee my baby a story to tell
> how little lord Jesus on earth came to dwell
> how in a far country way over the sea
> was born a wee baby, a wee one like thee.
>
> Hush a by baby, hush a by dear
> sleep little baby, have nothing to fear
> hush a by baby hush a by dear
> Jesus will care for his little one dear.
>
> Thanks for letting me share.

I am feeling for you, Not for this.

The lyrics are beautiful.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 04:12PM

You merry folks have listed my bottom three:
Little Drummer Boy (Not even Johnny Cash could rescue that one.)
12 Days of Christmas (Never has, never will be "clever.")
Santa Baby (Rock bottom. Dissing women)

I like the Christmas carols that our junior high and high school chorus, triple-trio, and quartets sang, because it was fun to harmonize.

I never liked the former Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and I'm glad there's no such thing, anymore! In my day, the MoTab was all old fogies with too much uncontrolled vibrato, and when they breathed as a group, it sounded like they were dying. Eventually they came up with the staggered breathing technique. I was spoiled by the smaller choirs Norman Luboff Choir, the opera and symphony choirs, the Vienna Boys' Choir--there are a million of them. I can't imagine ever calling the MoTab "America's" Choir, or "The" Choir.

LOL! Christmas is like a resurrection of all those old singers! Don't forget Johnny Mathis, who was alive and singing at the grocer store this morning.

Weird favorites: Elvis, John Denver, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Manheim Steamroller.

Mostly, I prefer music WITHOUT lyrics. Some of those carol tunes are beautiful old British and German folk tunes. I like the tune and harmony of "If I Could Hie To Kolob", which was stolen and murdered by the Mormons.

Handel's Messiah never gets old for me. I used to go to the sing-along in SLC, before it became too crowded.

Just ignore the words!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 04:23PM

Date: December 13, 2018 04:57PM

I've always hated "Baby its cold outside." Born of manipulators, abused by manipulators, just an awful song.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 05:23PM

Right now I hate them all.

Posted by: OxymormonNLI ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 05:29PM

If there is a hell, it will play “The Little Drummer Boy” on constant repeat. Absolute garbage: “nothing to give to a newborn? By all means bang a drum!” And don’t get me started on the Pah rum pa pum pums.....makes me want to gouge my eyes out!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 05:36PM

If you live in Utah you may be hard pressed to get through the season without the Mormon favorite "The Forgotten Carols". Too bad they really haven't been forgotten.

Date: December 13, 2018 05:49PM

They get my vote for most awful.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 05:43PM

It ain't Christmas/Hanukkah without the Jingle Cats singing (meowing) "What Child is This/Hava nagila." Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClHpepBY1I

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:05PM

I actually like Little Drummer Boy. I appear to be in a distinct minority on that one! I think it is the minor key and unusual chords that I like.

I'm about as atheist as it is possible to be, and don't get very excited about Christmas. Having said that, i do regularly attend a church (Unitarian, good place for atheists) and every December the choir does their one obligatory song per year. As far as I know, it is the one song they do every single year, without fail. They sing it with the congregation, which is also unusual.

O Come, All Ye Faithful.

The first verse is in Latin. I grew up in an overwhelmingly Catholic town, so I am pretty familiar with the Latin version. It adds a nice sense of majesty, Verses 2 and 3 are the standard English version, nothing special. Verse 4 starts with an organ solo intro, and then the choir sings a soaring descant over the plain melody of the carol. Atheist though I am, I have never made through listening to the descant without shedding a tear. Most everyone else in the congregation does not have such a liquid reaction, but then, I like Drummer Boy, so my taste in music is a couple standard deviations off center. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtqXo8mpyOY
This is the video of last year's service. The carol starts at the 8:50 minute mark, if you want to hear the Latin. At the 11:50 mark is the organ intro to verse four and the descant. The recording equipment was not miked for the music, so the recording is not very good quality for the music. (ETA: looks like they do have the choral microphones. Maybe my computer can't handle the high notes) Still, if you are wondering "what the hell is a descant?", here's your chance.

Come to think of it, they will be performing it this Sunday, 9 and 11, if you happen to be in SLC and are in the mood. For me, the descant is the official, rock solid marker for the beginning of Christmas.

Adeste fideles
Laeti triumphantes,
Venite, venite in Bethlehem;
Natum videte,
Regem Angelorum.

Venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus Dominum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 08:11PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:19PM

I'll add my least favorite to this long list. I really, really dislike "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". Sure, the tune is catchy, but the lyrics make no sense whatever. It describes two people making plans to get married- so far so good. But apparently they have to do it all in secret, to the point of erecting a faux-parson to metaphorically "do the job". Why? Why does it have to be kept secret? If they want to get married then just go get married. Are they under some sort of duress that makes a public marriage dangerous? If so, then the song ought to explain the back story. A verse or two, at least, about how their families are opposed, and how they plan to escape to after the deed is done. Face it, folks- the song makes zero sense.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:19PM

Posted by: landon ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:42PM

the best singer in the world sings

sings- silent night - the best ever

and

o holy night (in Swedish I think), you will not

understand, but it will give you goose-bumps.

and any song she sings will make you a believer!!!

who is the best singer, bar none, and has

been around since turning pro at 16 and will be

50 next year?

Sissel all you need is her first name.

she is beautiful, and has sung for the

Mormon choir.

go S i s s e l

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:45PM

I love that song.

I have an album that was put out by Hallmark when my ex was still with me, so over 20 years old and you can't buy it on CD, but you can buy it on Amazon used tapes, so I keep buying them so I'm sure I'll still have it for years go come, and my daughter loves it, too. It is called "Listen to the Joy" and at this moment, I can't remember which tenor sings with which boys choir. Absolutely love that tape and it has "Little Drummer Boy," which I love.

I really like Amy Grant's CD and Josh Groban's CD. And I bought Perry Como's old CD of Christmas music that we had when I was a little girl. Found it in the Walmart $5 bin a few weeks ago.

My mother used to play "White Christmas" on the piano all the time. She had it memorized and she'd just sit down and start playing it a lot. I love that song because of my mom.

I think there are a lot of people who just shouldn't sing Christmas music. I know there are Christmas songs I don't like, but I can't think of any right now.

Oh, "I heard the bells on Christmas Day" was also a big favorite of my mother's. "Oh, Holy Night" is one of my favorites, too.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 08:54PM

Putting in a plug for a modern one, "Angels' Carol" by Rutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYYT52KIuzs

There's a MoTab/TabCATS version too. Decent job, they don't do the "wall of sound" on it.

And here's a version from France (in English) which would be good, but ruined by a highly distracting hand puppet at 1:37 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFap2kKQQrk

It's OK to hate the puppet.

Date: December 14, 2018 02:48PM

That puppet is disturbing. I wouldn’t be able to sing with a straight face if that thing was behind me.
I’d pull it off the person’s hand, throw it on the ground and stomp on it, sorry kiddies.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 09:12PM

"Silent Night" is a song I like, but I think it sounds better in German.
"O Tenenbaum" in German is good, but I think it sounds ugly in English (I took German in high school, so I'm a bit biased to the German versions).
"Blue Christmas" is okay.

Like most posters, not a fan of "Wonderful Christmas Time" aka "We wrote and recorded this at 4:55 on a Friday."
I never liked "Jingle Bells."
"Forgotten Carols"- why couldn't they stay forgotten?

Date: December 14, 2018 03:02PM

https://youtu.be/76DPb4tkpuU
I like this version of “ White Christmas “. I love jazz .

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:46PM

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:00PM

I have a rule that I can't listen to a full Christmas song during the holidays on purpose.

If one pops on the radio I change it.

It's been the best years of my life since I started that rule for myself.

Christmas songs sound like a baboons mating while you scratch your fingernails on the chalkboard.

Not sure why I hate them so badly. I'll Google to see if it's a mental disorder.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:07PM

O Come All Ye Faithful ~ Adeste Fideles ~ Bing Crosby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDm643Yjrw

O helga natt - Jussi Björling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4x-Q_Nxmhc

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.