Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:48AM

The childhood priesthood. Yep. This is a really serious religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bamboozled CD6UC ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:08PM

So, a boy born on Dec 31st can now qualify to be ordained a deacon at the age of 10 years and 1 day.

The Church is wreaking of desperation.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:42PM

Eleven years and one day.

So the church is going to follow the calendar year instead of the school year? This will mean that about a third of the youth will be in a different church class "grade" than they are in a school grade, so they won't be with their school classmates in church.

I was wondering if Utah followed a calendar year model for school entry, but a quick google search leads me to believe that a child has to have had their birthday by September 1 to start school. That's a third of a year gap (September, October, November, December).

What kind of social dynamics will holding back some students lead to? Will those with September through December birthdays be more likely to become disgruntled and leave the church?

Exciting times. Thanks again, Russ!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:37PM

I guess what I am trying to say is that a boy who has a birthday on December 31 is still technically 10 years old on December 30th. So two days after he is technically 10 years old he can become a deacon.

Or am I not making any sense???

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:38PM

Your idea is correct but you're off by a year.

The Aaronic priesthood is still nominally conferred at 12 years old, not 11, but some 11 year olds will receive it. As you calculated, it is possible for a child that is 11 years old plus one day to be ordained.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:00PM

Yes, and technically 2 days after he’s 10, he’s 11, and can be ordained. I get your 10 years and one day.just a little play on words, cute, I get it. But 1 day after the day you’re not 10 oanymore, you’re 11. I used to pull this when I didn’t want to say I was over 39 and turned 40. I was 39, then 3010, then 3011, etc. I’m so old now nobody cares, but you get the drift

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 10:08PM

Deacon, Teacher and Priest are so outdated. They are meaningless to the kids. They should change the names to "Wizard Third Class" (fka "Deacon"), "Wizard Second Class" (fka "Teacher") and "Wizard First Class" (fka "Priest"). Then to make the Milky Z. Duck priesthood more exciting, the office of "Elder" should be changed to the office of "Grand Imperium Wizard of the First Order of Goobenslush". Now that's a title!!!

....and they should get uniforms and rings.

Date: December 14, 2018 11:30PM

Sieg Heil! Right out of Hitler Youth.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:54AM

Is this child labor for the dead? Deplorable. Children having to work for dead adults.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 12:04PM

Couldn't they also simplify the AP?

Just have one group/title for 11-17 year olds. Set it up for one person to break the bread. Heck, they could even use a recording so an eleven year old couldn't flub it up. Maybe use 2-3 to pass it around instead of 6-7.

Maybe the YW could serve as ushers during SM.

Posted by: Russell M. Nelson ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 10:14PM

Next year, when my second bottle of vitamins kicks in, I am going to announce the policy of "pre-blessed sacrament packs."

My nephew will implement the policy with a set of regionally located Blessing Centers. A month's supply of pre-blessed sacrament trays (including water and bread bits) will be hygienically packaged at the Blessing Centers and distributed to wards in the region. Time will be saved. Sacramental bread does not require any nutritional value, so we will be using a very inexpensive bread-like substance.

More details to come in the months ahead...

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 12:09PM

Russ Rides again!

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:12PM

Oh good. Now any 11yo snot nosed brat can be more worthy to receive the Penishood than the most righteous woman on the planet, even if his only redeeming quality is he has a penis.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:49PM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh good. Now any 11yo snot nosed brat can be more
> worthy to receive the Penishood than the most
> righteous woman on the planet, even if his only
> redeeming quality is he has a penis.

This is similar to what Jewish women feel about the Western Wall in Jerusalem.

ANY male, of any age, or of ANY religion (or none), has more rights at the Western Wall than does any Jewish woman (including women rabbis and cantors).

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:42PM

Don't let them women tell you they aren't.

Date: December 14, 2018 05:43PM

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:44PM

...OY!!!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:28PM

They kind of used to do this back in the day. Girls would move together as a class but Boys would move as soon as they were 12. It was when both Primary and MIA were during the week. But the boys you'd be in 6th grade with would get to leave primary and go to MIA and the girls had to wait until the end of the summer and Primary Graduation and then would start in MIA when school started.

Same with turning 14. The boys could go to the stake dances as soon as they were 14 and advanced to teachers, but the girls couldn't go until they were MiaMaids, which was the September of Freshman year of high school. It always seemed so unfair, especially since they say girls mature faster than boys, but the immature boys could go to dances and the 14-year-old girls couldn't go until their whole class moved.

Date: December 14, 2018 01:36PM

Just suggesting fun activities for 14 year olds.

Date: December 14, 2018 05:47PM

I remember the girls my age being able to attend stake dances once they were in MIA. I won't share the details of why I remember this clearly ;)

Date: December 14, 2018 11:35PM

So who did the boys dance with?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:29PM

You'll also have 13 year old teachers and 15 year old priests.

At least they are not ordaining 11 year olds as apostles. Well except for John Willard Young who was ordained an apostle at age 11.

If I remember right, aren't they having Priests perform the baptisms now when go to be baptized for the dead?

Date: December 14, 2018 09:19PM

@19 years old?

Mormonism is a joke that just keeps giving and giving.

Our church has many Deacons, Teachers, Priests and Elders...and that's just the teen-agers. We also have some adults who pay for everything and do all the actual work.

Date: December 14, 2018 11:38PM

Don’t you mean 18 year olds? As in missionaries?

Date: December 15, 2018 04:36AM

called male missionaries at age 19 or older. IIRC the female missionaries had to be at 21 or something like that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 07:54AM

It's now 18 for males and 19 for females. It appears that they wanted to rope the young men in before they left home.

Date: December 15, 2018 10:34AM

I just recently started looking in on the world of Mormonism, after a hiatus of 10 years. I guess I missed more changes than I thought.

No wonder the missionaries in this area look more like kids than I remembered years ago. I thought it was just me getting old. They really are fresh out of high school.

Makes the "Elder" title just that little bit more ridiculous.

Posted by: TigerTom1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:06PM

I'm not sure what this achieves.

Theyre will be a short term spike in numbers before it levels back out.

What am I missing?

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:19PM

In the past, you went to the same Sunday School class with the kids who turned 12 in the same year, but you didn't go to YM or YW until you actually turned 12. If you were a kid with a December birthday, you were often in Primary by yourself while your friends who had already turned 12 went to YM and YW.

However, I personally think one of the reasons for the change is to get kids to the temple even earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 02:29PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 09:39AM

keeps those lazy azz bishops busy

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:26PM

I think it's about streamlining the operation of a church unit. Simplicity will mask the fewer staff needed to operate the SS Churchtanic.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:40PM

I think most of those of you who were raised in the LDS Church would agree that life changes dramatically between your years in primary to the Young Men and Young Women programs.

The interviewing for worthiness starts to go into high gear. Going to the temple (worthiness interview), ordination to the priesthood (worthiness interview), calling (worthiness interview)...

Date: December 14, 2018 03:03PM

The church has probably spent 3 million on a study of bored 10 and 11 year-olds. They probably determined that it is during those exact years that developing minds have concluded that church is boring, stupid and irrelevant. This is another brilliant impression that Nelson has had while drifting in and out of Temazepam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 03:04PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 03:09PM

Get them young so they feel trapped sooner. It infuriates me.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 08:18PM

Totally...

Ask them the M question SOONER. Younger!

Bastards. Can we say that here? I guess we'll find out.
Southpark says it. Southpark knows about those mormons.

M@t

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:27PM

"We desire to strengthen our beloved children and youth through increased faith in Jesus Christ, deeper understanding of his gospel, and greater unity with his church and its members."

Translation: We desire to brainwash our children and youth through increased busywork, fluffy understanding of the gospel, and fake unity with the church and its members

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:18PM

Now Mormon church bishops can ask 11 year olds if they masturbate. Some bishops will need to explain to the child what that means. :/

Date: December 14, 2018 08:24PM

That's already been done, for decades, at even younger ages!
Not they've just been given the "authority" [by the parents]!
They have actually TAKEN the liberty, to invade the youths' privacy.
While having more secrets itself than all the members combined.

M@t

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:32PM

...why not at age 8?..."age of accountability" and all. So why not just go all-in? Age 8?...Presto!!...you are now a High Priest!!

"We will now collect our 10% surcharge going forward." Win-win!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:02PM

As a person with a late in the year birthday, it was infuriating to see all my classmates advanced while I was held back. That was especially true of the year my class turned 14. They all went to the dances on Saturday nights while I sat at home all summer and fall.

I think this is a better idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 06:03PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:11PM

Does TSCC even hold Saturday night dances anymore? They went by the wayside didn't they?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:23PM

I actually have no idea.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:09PM

"Several months before his 12th birthday."

Date: December 14, 2018 08:26PM

You don't mean...?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 08:36PM

I am just following protocol. Helen Mar Kimball was not 14 but rather "several months before her 15th birthday." It follows that 11.5 is "several months before the boy's 12th birthday."

Honest TB[Long] could set you straight on that point.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:14PM

It will be good only when girls can be named deaconettes.

Maybe TSCC can use a girl impersonating a male to make inroads. Like Streisand, in Yentl.

Date: December 14, 2018 08:59PM

I think girls/ women passing the sacrament would be nice.
Take the strain off the boys 'who are busy' and occasionally keep some of the boys/ men/ young women awake,
And keep things interesting, equal, and fair, and running smoother, to say the least.

You would just ask for a show of hands
Not who was spiffy, alert, or not Bored.

Whoever's hands are the softest that Sunday

M@t

Date: December 14, 2018 09:27PM

When I was in, the little deacon with one of his shirt tails hanging outside his pants, would wipe his nose on his sleeve, pick a booger out of his nose and then start moving from row to row with the sacrament trays. But once the hand off is made to the first person in the row, the pew-sitters pass the tray along. Women in the pews have always passed the sacrament trays along in the pews.

Of course, there is 100% no reason why the sacrament trays need to be carried around by boys. I don't think there is any revelation or scripture that requires it.

But what else is a "deacon" going to do to? It's a fantasy title in a fantasy priesthood. There is no real power in it. There is no real magic in it. There is less-than-zero authority in it. So you have to tell the kids that being a deacon is special because it means that God allows you to pass sacred trays around. You couldn't do it before you were a deacon...and now you can. Isn't that special? Soooo special!

Date: December 14, 2018 09:39PM

From the short article:

(1) "I'm EXCITED and happy," Benn said.

(2) "I'm most EXCITED about being able to get them into the temple earlier, especially with all the things they're exposed to at an earlier age, so that they can feel the Spirit there at an earlier age."

(3) "I'm really EXCITED I get to go to the temple and be in Young Women's," Lilly said.

(4) "When I came home from school today, my mom was acting really EXCITED and told me she had big news."

(5) "President Nelson wasn't lying when he said, 'Eat your vitamin pills. Get your rest. It's going to be EXCITING,'"

(6) "We're SUPER-EXCITED for Benn. He's been looking forward to becoming a deacon."

Why all the "excitement" about a phony, made-up title? Becoming a "deacon" is no more real or important than becoming a "Wizard Third Class" in a Harry Potter fan club or getting to "Copper Level Achiever" status in a multi-level marketing scam.

It actually sounds like an Onion article.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 09:48PM

As I was growing up, my home ward was largely ran by a woman. As a young man, her husband had gone to Europe to fight in WW II. He was an American MORmON, She was a Dutch MORmON living in Holland. Somehow they met. no doubt, it is a story of wonder and awe and God's will coming about for the MORmON ages !!!! just
like the Joseph Smith saga. She came home to the Western United States as his MORmON war bride. At least that killed two birds with one stone as far as her having to travel to a MORmON temple to be secret handshake married.

He looked like Abraham Lincoln's really really REALLY homely dorky brother. She looked like, well, put it this way: none of the young men in Holland would be upset about her getting away with a Yankee .....or whoever, whatever!!!!

In true MORmON fashion, after being MORmON temple secret handshake married, those two odd balls started breeding as much as they could and ended up with 10 or a dozen kids.

I know that some here would be thrilled that a woman was running things at some MORmON ward at some time to some extent, as they see that as some sort of move in the right direction. It is very doubtful that those same people would be as fond of this particular woman, if they had actually had to deal with her. l

Let me say that it really was NOT that groovy as that bossy cow busy body social climbing European in rural Idaho saw fit to endlessly promote her MORmON brood at EVERY turn at any expense to the other far less assertive (PUSHY) more native MORmON ward members. I will say that she really had her crass routine of bombastic self promotion and self elevation down to a science and very well mastered. Maybe she could be called a master MORmON, she'd probably even like it. Her family was the very kind of people who are completely vapid and BORING to an agonizing extent, even as they feel they are really special and exciting and happening because they are certain in a MORmON kind of way that they are exemplary MORmON members......and they ARE, AS IF the world really does rotate around THE (MORmON) Church.

She pushed all of her kids several years ahead in school, which was not nearly as beneficial to them as she thought, as she was so certain that they were such super exceptional spirits, reserved for the latter days and sent especially to her for mortal bodies. Mostly they were exceptionally HOMELY so like their HOMELY parents, and quite socially backward, but Momma bossy cow just kept pushing things along anyway .....for the glory of MORmON Jesus, of course.

No doubt that momma bossy cow would have had all of her sons ordained to the MORmON Aaronic PriestDUD a year or two .....or three, or four, early as a sign to everyone else of their raging Spiritual superiority. She did boost her daughters into Mutual a year or two early just as they were a year or two ahead in school, and she got away with it, especially as my politically ambitious ass kissing utterly spineless gutless MORmON male parent was the mutual president also running for bishop (who NEVER had a chance, but) correctly saw her approval ( that was NEVER going to come) as absolutely essential. She would have tried the same thing with her male offspring but (AT LEAST) the LD$ Inc guidelines at the time on when a MORmON boy could get the extra special (exceptionally worthless) MORmON priestDUD were firm enough that she could not buck those .......

Momma bossy cow would have had a hey day with these latest changes in the MORmON youth program !!!!! ..... I don't know whether to wish that I could have seen such a thing, since I had to suffer through being raised in THE (MORmON) church anyway, or to be damn glad that I did not see such a thing and what she would have done with it.

IF anyone is asking me, I think that the MORmONS just jacked the THE (MORmON) door wide open for MORE problems because of the very kind of personalities and attendant issues that I just outlined.

Posted by: SuperBoyz ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 10:34PM

All the while the Bible still says a Deacon is to be the husband of One Wife.

Quick, get these 11 year olds a girlfriend!

Date: December 14, 2018 10:47PM

Without any boundaries, only except "guidelines" from the profit (Let's Go Shopping"!...

With the nearly complete diluted core values ...

Mormonism is a train wreck.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:39PM

At Christmas we must ask: WHAT CHILD IS THIS??

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 01:04AM

This is really gonna boost conversions! The church is true!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 10:29AM

Just now read an article in the Salt Lake Tribune titled: "LDS Church unveils new rules for youths". The general president of the Primary, Joy D. Jones, said " I am particularly excited that these changes will make it possible for younger children to be involved in temple work." Yep, get to 'em as young as possible to deepen the brainwashing! The statement that really caught my eye though, was this: "This means that my son, who just turned 11, could be ordained to the LDS priesthood in about three weeks", said April Young Bennett. "When he is ordained, he will be my first child TO EXCEED MY RANK IN THE CHURCH AS A MERE WOMAN." I still can't believe what I read!

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 02:54PM

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 11:18PM

The announcement was quick to note that while kids will be able to be ordained/enter their classes in January of the year they turn 12/14/16, that the rules for dating are -not- following suit.Gotta wait for their birthdays for that!

Date: December 15, 2018 11:25PM

Are Russ' changes up for a sustaining. Vote/confirmation/sustaining?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.