Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:42PM

I'm sure you have stayed up nights on this conundrum....right?

After some fascinating research into just why the number 3 gets more glory than its counterparts (the third time is the charm, three's a crowd, three persons in the trinity), I thought it would be fun to enlist your help in listing the number three references in Mormonism.

Such as:

3 degrees of glory
3 members of the godhead
3 members in the church presidency
3 members in leadership church positions...bishop and 2 counselors, etc.
Jesus rose on the 3rd day
Apostle Paul said, "I thrice besought the Lord"
Thrice the cock crowed before Peter betrayed Jesus

My research on google suggests that many, in fact most human cultures, have the number three present in their culture and relate this to the fact that in our world we are anchored with mother, father, and child along with earth, sky and water. This number 3 then became a normal, perhaps somewhat subconscious, way to "see" the world. Surrounded by myth, the number three is both magical and mystical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:46PM

'the unwritten order of things'

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 03:02PM

It had to be three knocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT5ms2Nvpco

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 03:09PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:19PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It had to be three knocks.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT5ms2Nvpco

Yes. Apostle, Member of the 12, Tony Orlando with Relief Society President Dawn.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:47PM

Date: December 14, 2018 11:51PM

I am in the best of company!

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 03:55AM

The cock crowed??? Mines bloody mute!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 03:21PM

My grandma loved that song and “ Tie a yellow ribbon “

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 03:23PM

It's the right triangle numerology stuff. The smallest right triangle in whole units is 3,4,5 on the sides. This is ancient knowledge and most of the holy numbers can be generated through manipulating these three numbers in some combination.

It persists into the Masonic traditions of course as it's critical to their craft, though the same is true for woodworking or any other layout oriented skill. There is an ancient Sumerian tablet with similar triplets, plimpton 322 tablet.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 03:51PM

I know that postmen ring twice, buy I don't know how often they knock.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:21PM

It's to prevent the reply being "Who's there?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 04:22PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:26PM

...yeah. They wouldn't want the sacred encounter at the Veil to resemble a "knock knock" joke. Even though it is.....

"Knock, knock.....who's there?"

"It is I, the new and improved, High Priest Adolf Hitler at the veil; sanctified and verified with my "passport" from Bro Joe himself."

"OK, so what now?"

"You will feel a bit of pain, as I tattoo your "new name" on your arm."

"Oh.........OK."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:24PM

Because that's how the Freemasons do it, and that means it came from Solomon's temple (sarcasm).

Really, if you were to trace the ritual back to its very first use in a Masonic ceremony, I doubt you would find anything deeper than "It sounded good at the time". It probably involved about as much deliberation as the screen writers of Monty Python deciding the number to which the actors were to count before throwing the Holy Hand Grenade.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:58PM

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 10:05PM

Now I shall lobbest this kind note to you, and verily I hope that you receivest it well. : D)))
Oh, thank you, Heidi GWOTR, I really needed that laugh. Besides my favorite Word of the Day, lobbest, I learned that I should not eat and read this site if you are posting. For verily, I did laugh mightily, and almost caused food to be spilt and sprayed about in a most evil manner. I struggled in my heart and in my mind, and my inner spirit did grant that my mouth should stayeth shut, although I did laugh until my jaw did ache most foully. And now the laughter still cometh upon me so strongly that some parte of me snorteth.
Blessed be the creators of computer page bookmarks, forsooth.

Posted by: paulsal ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:41PM

u got it all wrong, knock 3 x on the ceiling means i will meet u in the....

twice on the pipes means you are not going to show up

it is all in the song lyrics

tony orlando and dawn

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:58PM

knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
Twice on the pipe if the answer is no

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:49PM

"Twice on the crack pipe, if the answer is no, then; "Man, I am crashing hard...can you tune me up NOW!!"!!"

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:30PM

I wish there was a deeper meaning. It's very simple. They copied it from the Masonic Ceremony. Here's a transcript from the Freemason Degree Ceremony:

The Senior Deacon gives three loud knocks with a mallet which is attached to the Lodge door, which are responded to by one knock from the parties outside. The Senior Deacon then answers with one rap, and opens the door.

S. D.--Who comes here?

J. D.--Brother ****, who has been regularly initiated Entered Apprentice, passed to the Degree of Fellow Craft, and now wishes to receive further light in Masonry, by being raised to the sublime Degree of a Master Mason.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:55PM

you/ a person will find that Joseph Smith also employed the theme of triplicate in the (his) Book of MORmON (scam). Three days of darkness after Jesus died instead of the mere one of the NT, three Nephites Apostles linger instead of just one as in the NT, etc. Three is code for emphasis ... !!!

Date: December 14, 2018 07:45PM

More "Three's" to add to Moronism, the 3 days of darkness after Jesus died as opposed to the one in the New Testament, plus the wandering, helpful (?) three Nephites (have you been visited by them lately). Thanks smirkorama.

I thought of a couple more:

Mormon mythology has 3 main scriptures - the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, plus the Pearl Of Great Price.

Aren't each of the 3 Degrees of Glory in turn divided into 3 sections.....or at least the highest is (?).

Date: December 14, 2018 07:58PM

Another piece of the #3 trivia the temple veil ceremony could have copied and we can all be happy it was bypassed is this.... in some cultures SPITTING 3 TIMES in the air seals the deal, you know as in making sure the evil magic cast on you is undone. I know for sure that had this occurred at the veil, along with the physical abuse, I would have been out the exit.

(My own up bringing had me rubbing a raw potato on my unwanted wart 3 times each time I administered the potion. And no, then we did not cook and eat said potato. And no, it did not remove said wart).

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:54PM

Sheldon Cooper: (knock knock knock) Jesus?
(knock knock knock) Jesus?
(knock knock knock) Jesus?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 08:01PM

"First, thou shalt go towards the veil. Then, thou shalt knock three times, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt knock, and the number of the knocking shall be three. Four shalt thou not knock, nor either knock thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out!"
(Read in Michael Palin's voice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNTzOBKs1bA

Date: December 14, 2018 09:05PM

Thanks....a great laugh I indeed me had with this fun video which sums up quite nicely how to proceed using just the "right" number. "the" number that must be used in momentous occasions -THE Number Three.... no more, no less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 09:15PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:53PM

Date: December 15, 2018 04:05AM

Better Michael's than Sarah's.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 05:41PM

if you believe they stole the endowment from the freemasons then the reason is because hiram abiff received 3 blows, one each from the three men who were trying to force him to give the grand key word of the temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.