Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:56PM

If a human is offered the opportunity to accept the church in this lifetime and rejects it they cannot then accept it in the life to come.
HELP ME OUT HERE
Need documentation

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quote Weasel ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:23PM

I believe you are thinking of the Second Chance Theory. Bruce McConkie absolutely HATED the Second Chance Theory.

From Mormon Doctrine, pp. 685-87. Thus spaketh BRM (emphasis in original):

"**There is no such thing as a second chance to gain salvation by accepting the gospel in the spirit world after spurning, declining, or refusing to accept it in this life.** It is true that there may be a second chance to hear and accept the gospel, but those who have thus procrastinated their acceptance of the saving truths will not gain salvation in the celestial kingdom of God.

"Salvation for the dead is the system by means of which those who 'die **without a knowledge of the gospel**' (D&C 128:5) may gain such knowledge in the spirit world and then, following the vicarious performance of the necessary ordinances, become heirs of salvation on the same basis as though the gospel truths had been obeyed in mortality. **Salvation for the dead is limited expressly to those who do not have opportunity in this life to accept the gospel but who would have taken the opportunity had it come to them.**

"'All who have died **without a knowledge of this gospel**,' the Lord said to the Prophet, 'who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God; also all that shall die henceforth **without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts**, shall be heirs of that kingdom, for I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts.' (Teachings, p. 107.)

"This is the only revealed principle by means of which the laws pertaining to salvation for the dead can be made effective in the lives of any persons. **There is no promise in any revelation that those who have a fair and just opportunity in this life to accept the gospel, and who do not do it, will have another chance in the spirit world to gain salvation.** On the contrary, there is the express stipulation that men cannot be saved without accepting the gospel in this life, if they are given opportunity to accept it.

"'**Now is the time and the day of your salvation**,' Amulek said. 'For behold, **this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God**; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors. …For after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.' (Alma 34:31-35; 2 Ne. 9:27; 3 Ne. 28:34; Luke 9:62.)

"An application of this law is seen in the words of the resurrected Christ to the Nephites. 'Therefore come unto me and be ye saved,' he said in repeating with some variations the Sermon on the Mount he had previously given the Jews, 'for verily I say unto you, that **except ye shall keep my commandments, which I have commanded you at this time, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.**' (3 Ne. 12:20.) Thus salvation was forever denied those Nephites unless they gained it by virtue of their obedience during mortality. On the same basis, there is no such thing as salvation for the dead for the Latter-day Saints who have been taught the truths of salvation and had a fair and just opportunity to live them.

"Those who have a fair and just opportunity to accept the gospel in this life and who do not do it, but who then do accept it when they hear it in the spirit world will go not to the celestial, but to the terrestrial kingdom. This includes those to whom Noah preached. 'These are they… who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the gospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh; Who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it.' (D&C 76:72-74.)

"Thus the false and heretical doctrine that people who fail to live the law in this life (having had an opportunity so to do) will have a further chance of salvation in the life to come is a soul-destroying doctrine, a doctrine that lulls its adherents into carnal security and thereby denies them a hope of eternal salvation." (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 2, pp. 181-196.)

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 07:35PM

You read this stuff and it's so sure of itself and authoritative, then you get to "Amulek said." It's so deflating.

"Now is the time and day of your salvation!" Bobo the Clown said.

"Now is the time and day of your salvation!" Bingo the talking dog said.

"You shall not pass!" Gandalf the Gray said.

It's practically self-parody.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 02:18AM

Bruce R McConkie was such a negative, spiteful person. I remember when he told us to keep away from Jesus Christ--no relationship. None of us was good enough for Jesus to bother with?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 03:50AM

McDonkie was the one who started me thinking: even IF there is a MORmON celestial kingDUMB, why would anyone want to go there to be around a God who could and would appoint some one like Bruce R. McDonkie to be a spokesman for Him ......or to be around such sour dismal person that McDonkie is.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 04:16AM

was a gifted stentor.

People mistook his stentorian tones for genuine, authoritative pronouncements of truth.

Substitute Pee Wee Herman's voice for McDonkie's voice and then re-read Mormon Doctrine and all of McDonkie's talks and sermons, as though spoken in the voice of Pee Wee Herman. Then it all becomes clear.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 02:58PM

IT is the sure sign of the Jell-O Nail, The Scam meaning the Scam of God.

Posted by: Amonomo for this one ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 03:06PM

This is what I was taught and believed as unalterable church doctrine for 30 years.

My father in law was a nevermo. He had the opportunity many times during his life to hear the LDS "gospel" but chose never to join. His biggest hang up was tithing and how the church didn't feel the need to be accountable for the funds it received.

When Father in law passed away and after the obligatory 1 year wait my TBM Mother in law had him baptized in the temple as well as sealed to her along with the few temple worthy children that could attend. I was shocked that this was allowed as this was not how I had been taught was the order of things. When I quietly asked my Mother in law's Bishop he feigned that he had no idea what I was talking about.

I have since found a few other instances where the believing wife had their nevermo spouse baptized and sealed to her after his death. Call me cynical, but this just wreaks of taking advantage of the Widows mite.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 04:40PM

Amonomo for this one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have since found a few other instances where the
> believing wife had their nevermo spouse baptized
> and sealed to her after his death. Call me
> cynical, but this just wreaks of taking advantage
> of the Widows mite.

The widows are pushed to do it knowing how their husbands felt about their church. It is abuse plain and simple.

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 07:36AM

It was a shock to read here just now that that's not the doctrine, as it's what was recommended to us and was used to reassure us (a younger brother and I were still children at home), even by the missionary couple. I believe it was also OK'd by another ward/stake where my sister lived, as her husband was proxy for my dad in the temple marriage & sealing ceremonies. The whole thing was presented as a sort of balm for our grief, which it was.

Posted by: native male ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:30PM

all life comes from mother earth and returns to her, spirits travel the universe. great trip to look forward to.

god made man in his own corporate image.
man- a servant, or an attendant to the male sex.
woman- female servant belonging to man or mankind.
men- are apt to forget the benefactor, (mother earth), and riot over the benefit.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 02:31AM

They can be redeemed by cutting down a tree with a herring.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 04:27AM

When I realized that the mormon God is an abusive God, I set my own rules about fairness, honesty, and integrity. If the mormon God doesn't like them, he can fuck off or banish me to outer darkness, or whatever else he has got to do. But one thing he can't get me to do is to voluntarily accept abuse because he is the boss and has all of the power. My rules now are more like what a good earthly parent would do. If you fed your kid a bunch of bullshit and it hurt his life, so he did what was best to recover and do what was best for him and his fellow man in opposition to what you told him to do, would you punish his disobedience by rendering him unable to have children and complete his destiny, or kill him? Hopefully not. The mormon God is abusive. Don't listen to anything the church tells you about God and the afterlife. It's all lies and intimidation, designed to control you and get your money and resources in this life. McConkie is one of the worst offenders of this type.

Who knows whether or not there is life after this earth life is over with? But whatever the case is, you will be what you will be because you will fulfill your destiny. Earthly parents make mistakes. If God put mormon church leaders in charge, he really fucked up. He didn't just make a mistake. He really screwed-up badly. Then again, maybe god has nothing to do with them. That scenario makes more sense to me. But either way, you don't punish your offspring with permanent, disabling, punishments for disobedience after screwing things up for them yourself (or for any reason for that matter). If I am a child of God then I have the right to expect fairness from him. If he is not fair or does not want to help me to fulfill my highest potential, then I want nothing to do with him, regardless. No amount of threats against me will change that.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2018 05:01AM by azsteve.

Posted by: native male ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 06:44AM

almost all natives have been enslaved by "words".

native- cannot be artificial or fictitious.
name- thing.
person- artificial or fictitious. people is plural for person.
before using a word look it up in 1828 noah webster's dictionary. it's online.

plate on car reads, "native". cops pass me by, BP waves me through and BLM leaves me alone because told them, native on native soil. live in SW arizona.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 02:55PM

So...If a person is busy or irritable when the missionaries stop by--well too bad. Do they get a pass is the missionary has an unresolved sin that is keeping the Spirit from knocking the person over the head?

"This life is the time to prepare to meet God..." Agh...I'm having Seminary guilt flashbacks...stop!

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 10:47PM

So, let me get this straight. You can't accept the gospel and gain salvation after death by saving ordinances performed for you unless you hadn't got an opportunity to accept the gospel in life.

I understand that this teaching fills an obvious hole created by work for the dead. What's the point of toiling in this life when you can just wait until after death. TSCC knows that it can't get anyone's time and money--which only exist in life--if people can simply wait around until after they die. So TSSC warns, sternly!, that that loophole's closed!

But doesn't that make genealogy futile? Your great-great-grandpa converts, his parents, siblings, aunts and uncles--all his relatives--think he's crazy for joining JS' cult. No matter how great he tells them the gospel is, they refuse to be persuaded. Generations later Mormons are trying to save them, to no avail. What's the point? Future generations don't know whether their efforts for each relative worked or not because future generations can't know the opportunities their ancestors may or may not have had. The only people you're likely to save are people no one's ever heard of that you're not related to.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 11:34PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.