Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nve ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:12AM

So I deleted my Facebook account last night. I am so sick of the shameless displays of self loathing sycophantic narcicissm. The perpetual intrusion into privacy. The constant pedalling of the lowest forms of excrement that pass for communication and ideas. "so and so wants to poke your such and such. Click here, go there if you want to find out this or that about him or her ".
And finally to keep this on topic, there's the constant proselytising and subsequent brainlesstimonies in the comments from other members of club kolob. Some people really have no shame.
What a waste of my time.

Are there any good reasons for Facebook?
Apologies to Any true friends if I appear to have turned hostile.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:17AM

I am on facebook but not under my real name.

The ONLY people on my friend's list are my children, their spouses and my grandchildren and one nephew who does NOT get along with his TBM dad and who I have "adopted."

It works great. I have had friend requests from people I know who have found me via my email address. I tell then why I do not add them.

I think facebook is great the way I'm using it and I have no desire to have a "free for all" account with acquaintances.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:18AM

I am probably the only human on the planet who never has been on Facebook. And who has absolutely no interest in EVER going on Facebook. From what I hear, it is an enormous invasion of privacy, coupled with the negatives you mention. No, thanks.

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:37AM

Literally +1.

You now know of another non-Facebooker. Never have. Never will. Nice to e-meet you.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 04:30AM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:58AM

Me Three!

Posted by: floozysusie ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 12:13PM

You all would have met way before if you'd been on Facebook :)

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 04:38AM

I might be missing out on something, but I have one friend in particular who talks of his "friends". He has never met them, yet he has actually said "I have a friend in Australia who such & such...".

I need a lot of things. That ain't one of them!

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 04:53AM

;o)

Actually, I have some idea of what it is due to seeing it referred to everywhere. But never experienced it directly and have other things on my "to do" list that take priority.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:44AM

So many problems that I had to get involved with when it first started out. I just don't need the grief.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:18AM

and don't plan to.

In addition to what has been said above, seems like it takes an awful lot of peoples' time.

Posted by: cl2zip ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:40AM

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:02AM

I have never been and never will be on facebook. Just can't see the purpose...all I see is a huge invasion of privacy.

stormy

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:18AM

I hate FB. It's not intuitive, & I always have had all kinds of problems using their website. I've even permanently deleted 2 accounts. There's no reason to use it. If you need to do quick updates, Twitter works just fine, if you need to do that sort of thing. & you can still block people, & lock your tweets.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:24AM

Comes and goes in waves for me. Last year I got off for 9 months. It was great. I'm gearing up to take another long break here pretty soon.

Posted by: MikeyA ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:33AM

http://searchengineland.com/report-facebooks-traffic-down-in-usa-and-canada-81276

"The United States lost nearly 6 million Facebook users (down to 149.4 million users) and Canada lost 1.52 million users (down to 16.6 million) according to the Inside Facebook Gold service. This marks the first time in the past year that Facebook actually lost users in the United States."

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:41AM

Its evil, I hate it. But I'm on it. I dislike the privacy invasion and capturing of my statistics. Ive thought of deleting my account but I dont want to lose touch with my childhood friends

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 04:53AM

It causes a lot of pain, from what I can tell. One lady I barely knew asked to be my friend, what the heck. I had just joined FB. Turns out she talks 100% about cats, sends cat pictures, cat jokes, cat food ads, pictures of statues of cats, ad nauseum. I'm a dog person. So I unfriended her and got back an angry, hurt response. How can I "hurt" someone I never met and with whom I have never spoken?

Facebook becomes an alter ego where people feel "accepted" when their friend request is added and "rejected" when it's not, as if it were personal.

That is NUTS! I only joined so I could see my grandchildren's photos and now I'm causing pain to some lady in Alabama?

Anagrammy

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:10AM

I finally joined it about a year ago, intending to only add close friends and family. It's become such that I have friends on there that aren't that close or whom I care little about. I've contemplated making a status update stating that I will be removing all people who do not fit that category, but I never get around to it.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:19AM

I've kept my friends list small and only people I care about. I just don't add casual acquaintances. It works well for me. I like being able to use it to organize events using its invite function.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:34AM

That's probably the best way to do it, MJ. I have lots of acquaintances, but I find that I have to wade through a lot of meaningless drivel to find out what my close friends are doing. A number of people will update constantly to tell me that they cleaned their house or some such activity. UGH. OTOH, a few of my acquaintances are consistently good and interesting writers.

FB really isn't working for me right now, and I have to figure out how to make it a better experience. FB's constant tweaking of their site doesn't help.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:31AM

as "interesting" and "drivel posters." From your homepage under "most recent" there will be a drop down menu where you can have only those in the "interesting" group show. If you have time, then you can look at the "drivel posters." I have my friends in groups for family, high school, work, etc. so I can quickly limit and see (or skip) one particular group at a time.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:49AM

Let me be the contrarian here- I've found FB great for keeping up with former co-workers, HS & college friends and relatives that have moved away. Maybe it's a bit different as I'm a nevermo so I don't have to deal with the LDS bull that exmo's FB friends post.

When my mom passed away last month, I got a lovely condolence email from the mom of a HS friend (I'm FB friends with both). I doubt I'd have heard from Mrs T without the ease of FB.

I went to a small HS and class reunions might garner 40-50 people total (including spouses). A FB chat inspired one of my classmates to organize a 70's & 80's decade reunion which had a turnout in the hundreds and was much more enjoyable than the small single-yr ones.

Maybe I'm lucky that I have very few FB friends that post irritating stuff (though there is one woman who is a 9/11 truther and I just quickly scroll through that crap). I see FB as a window that allows me to get a glimpse of what's going on in the lives of folks I don't see every day- like my HS friend who's now a professional monster truck driver - John has a very cool job.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:13AM

I was very suspicious of FB for a few years- but then I decided to give it a try and I love it.
I'm a gypsy who doesn't know where she'll be in 6 months, so it's a good tool to keep in touch with my friends and family all around the states. I'm not a fan of talking on the phone because I'm a multitasker and I need to do two things at once.

I don't mind having aquaintances or meeting people (especialy from RfM) on FB because it offers a chance to get to know people that I would otherwise never "meet." If people turn out to be asshats, there's always the delete function.

That being said, I don't think FB is all sunshine and rainbows- I, too, get annoyed at the drama-llamas, the bragging (although I'm probably guilty of that as well), and the stupid religious/political crap people need to harp on, however, I hear this stuff IRL so I roll my eyes, laugh, and move on. There is no doubt in my mind people do the same thing with my off-the-wall posts. I've also been contacted by my stalker and other people I have no use for, but that's what the block function is for!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 12:21PM

Me too. I was very hesitant to join Facebook, but I like it. It's allowed me to reconnect with some good people I knew a long time ago. And I've also gotten better acquainted with some of my online friends, including some I met on RfM. That being said, it does occasionally cause unnecessary drama. And I just can't seem to resist wasting time on pointless FB games, too.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:31AM

Yeah, I like Facebook, but I think I'm of that magical age where technology is awesome, but I remember living without it and do not fear the social implications of not updating my status frequently enough.

On the subject of newsfeeds cluttered up with pictures of cats and updates every time someone moves to a new room of the house, if you mouse over any post on your wall you'll see a little tiny 'x' in the upper right-hand corner. Click it and you get the option to hide that person from your newsfeed. They won't be unfriended, they won't be notified, and you'll still get updates if they post on your wall or comment on something in your profile. You can still go to their profile and look at all their asinine updates if you want, but you no longer have to wade through them to see what your friends and family are up to. The same feature is available to block all updates from things like Farmville and Mafia Wars.

If it weren't for the 'hide' feature I would probably have to delete more than half of my "friends" or risk going off on tirades about how no one cares that they're not sure if they should watch Real Housewives or The Bachelor.

Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:24AM

I enjoy Facebook. Myself, family and selected friends find it a nice "touch" and humor rules the posts. I live 2000 miles from my kids and they post pictures of my grand kids and themselves, we laugh a lot and don't take it too seriously.
This brings up the question, why do so many of you take it so seriously and why bother with those that do?
I had an acquaintance from years ago "friend" me a number of months ago. That same day I made a smarta$$ remark about something LDS related and they took issue with me. I unfriended them on the spot. Very simple.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:30AM

+1

Oh, and then there's Farmville. I'm on the cusp of a 100 rating and then I'll quit.

Ron

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:38AM

I shut down my account a couple months ago...had several exmo friends on there that I enjoyed, but it was my damn FAMILY that pushed me over the edge. I got "crucified" when I would post anything that contradicted the church-even if it was a good get-ya-thinking quote. The Mormons I know hate thinking I guess...but I'm supposed to be fine with all of their testimony stories, faith promoting vids, or...

I lurk on my hubby's FB though...

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:47AM

I use it to suit me. My family are somewhat scattered and there are some that I rarely get to see and FB is a nice way to keep in touch and share photos. The stuff we don't want, friends we don't want, we can block, hide or simply ignore.

I also have a private website that is for family only so the really personal stuff is shared on that.

I like the contacts from RfM that I have (not too many but happily all good folks).

Briggy

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:22AM

But then it is only mostly family, people from high school, and some close acquaintances. Other than a few family, none are MO, and none are preachy. Nothing says you have to display your birth date, SS #, phone number, bank account number or fill out all the likes or favorites sections. I don't see any loss of privacy, as anyone could learn a lot more about me by putting my name in google than they would from looking at my FB page.

Set your privacy to be seen only by your "friends" and not "friends of friends." I also have one group formed related to business, so it is in a sense free advertising.

It's twitter I don't understand or have any plans of ever using. Blogs would be a close second. I don't see myself ever doing either. I don't think anyone of my "friends" on facebook (or real life) would ever have enough interesting things to say to follow them on twitter (if any are there) and I can't see what the appeal is in following the tweets of a celebrity.

Blogs are pretty much same. I've occasionally read one entry when someone has pointed one out that might sound interesting, but in glancing through, the other 99 entries aren't. Why would I want to follow a blog where 99% of the entries are boring and/or rants for whatever that person's agenda is?

I see FB as a way to communicate with a large number of people at once, rather than sending out a mass e-mail. Of course none of the stuff I post (which is seldom) is "private" in the sense that I would care if the whole world saw it, rather than just the friend's it is limited to.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:34AM

In some ways, that's a good thing. I've been able to figure out who the non-TBS and outright apostates are (mostly among the nieces and nephews and their offspring) and I've found some common ground with some of the others.

Last night I clicked on the link to suggested things I might like. I had to laugh, because the selections were obviously based on what my FB friends liked. There were bunches of über-conservative politicians and pundits. Gee, guess who liked those —— not my actual friends. It's not that you must have certain political views in order to be my friends, it's that people I relate to most just happen to have the same views -- even though we never talked politics.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:37AM

It's not so bad. I block all those programs that send notifications, so I don't get any of that any more. I also block friends whose comments I don't want to read, or delete them entirely if it gets to that point. Nice thing about Facebook is you can customize all that stuff.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:38AM

It's juvenile, intrusive, and they say they own any photos you upload. And when you quit they hound you just like TSCC.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:45AM

i aint on it much....but i can see all the pics from family events that i dont get invited to or cant attend!! :)
and then i get to make comments on those pics!! :)
its mostly...for me... a good way to share pics and stuff... and i dont like that farmville crap...and crap like..."do you think your sister is gay and crap like that...so i just ignore those!! overall i like FB....

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:46AM

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:55AM

I could take or leave Facebook. I don't let just anyone on as a "friend". It's mostly for family, real-life friends, and VW people--and most of those are people I really have met. I don't get on there all the time. There's no politics or relgion mentioned. The one person who I have not allowed to become a friend is my younger nephew. He's 23, but he lets his temper ratchet up and won't come down, to the point that I have hung up on him on the phone, and last year he was on my shit list for several months. But I digress....
I run my Facebook, it doesn't run me. There is a lot of stupid stuff on FB. I don't give a rat's left testicle about the games. I make it fun for myself, but it's not life. I spend more time here. Rfm is way cooler, don't you agree?
Susan

Date: June 16, 2011 10:57AM

escapee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could take or leave Facebook. I don't let just
> anyone on as a "friend". It's mostly for family,
> real-life friends, and VW people--

What are "VW people"?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:57AM

Right now I'm listening to the BoM-musical. :-)

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:59AM

I love it!

As a military spouse who has lived all over the USA/Okinawa and has real life friends all over the world (literally), it is a great way to see what everyone is up to. I have about half members/nonmembers, so it's pretty mixed. Luckily I don't get much prostelizing on FB.

I recently had a friend move from Hawaii to Germany. I love looking at her photos!

One of my rules is that I have to know everyone in real life for them to be my friend. As soon as my friends and family know I'm apostate, then I will be getting rid of several fb friends, since I only accepted their friend request because we were in the same ward. Right now I hide all the games and annoying friends/family members.

On the other hand, I have many great friends on FB that post very interesting status updates. They are supportive and kind.

I do not game on FB, total waste of time. I have found that I'm on FB a lot less now that I'm here a lot.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:50AM

A friend of mine showed me facebook once. He said look at all the people you know irl on here. I haven't gone back. I prefer the people I "know" on RFM.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:02AM

Yes. Farmville. :)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:04AM

+1

I'm at level 99. When I hit 100, I'm done. LOL

Date: June 16, 2011 11:07AM

Rebeckah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. Farmville. :)

I'm REALLY behind the social networking power curve - what is Farmville?

Posted by: apostateepiscopalian ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:22AM

You have to manage your account. I have been able to find old friends that I have lost contact with. The key is management of your account. I don't play the games, and participate with the other apps. It has been a very good thing for me. Of course, I don't have a church stalking me, either.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:30AM

I divided my list into: Family, Friends, New Friends, and other categories.

Family and Friends and one group of New Friends are the main lists I check, otherwise, it's too many posts to keep up with.

I'm a proponent of managing your account the way you want to use it. Use the features that make it manageable.
I use HIDE, BLOCK, REMOVE, REPORT etc. to clean it up.
I don't use apps. or anything that takes me out of a secure link.

I enjoy talking to people on Facebook, sharing pictures, etc.especially with family.

I have many friends and relatives that are not on Facebook.
It clearly does not appeal to everyone.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:36AM

I think this sums it up nicely for me -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVA047JAQsk

Watch it an smile!

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 12:54PM

How do you delete your FB account? Just curious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.