Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:47AM

Had an incident recently where I learned my dad doesn't use an ATM card.... he is in his 70s. It triggered a memory back to my middle school days in the 1970s. I remember listening to dad warn us about the dangerous1970s unisex movement and how people where trying to mute the differences between the sexes and how evil this was. The agenda called for men to grow their hair long and wear make up and women to expect equal rights in the work place when it is a mans place to support his family. And a few other signs of impending doom, including the movement away from money to using a plastic card instead. His description was so impactful on me at the time the using a plastic card to replace money was what I wrote about in my social studies class when my teacher had us create news stories about the future 10 years in advance. I wasn't tuned into the news at that time so I don't know if the ATM card was commonly discussed at that time. But it caught me off guard to learn that even now he will not get an ATM card. Anyone know of a possible Mormon Connection to this? I have learned dad is a Skousen fan.... so maybe this conspiracy theory started there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:56AM

I've heard many a crackpot theory of how that whole "No commerce without bearing the mark of the beast" prophecy will come to pass. Maybe your dad is scared his ATM card will bear that mark somewhere.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:03AM

Oooo, plastic money seemed so scary back then, but now I prefer it to cash -- particularly not having coins rattle in my pocket.

So my bank knows where I spend some of my money. Big deal. So I exchange a wee bit of privacy for a lot of convenience. Big deal.

Then there are those who don't think you have real money unless you have cash. They don't understand currency is just a symbol, just like a check is.

But, yeah, Mormonism seems to have more than its share of people who fear change. That's why religions that claim to never change, that claim to stand for absolute truths, appeal to people like that.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:18AM

First it was the ATM/credit cards, then in the 90's in became the Smart Cards, next it'll probably be the microchip implanted with all your information.

Actually, I don't like the microchip idea (except for pets) because I need to have something concrete to hold in my hands so I don't overspend. :)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:23AM

I heard that the Church's IT department is drawing up a proposal to put ATM's into every Ward building. You wont need an ATM card though as it will only allow money to be paid in...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:51AM

...automatically reads the cards in your wallet/purse and deducts your tithing for you.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:32AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...automatically reads the cards in your
> wallet/purse and deducts your tithing for you.

Whether you want to or not!!

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:12AM

The new short range technology that will be tied to your cell phone will be interesting.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:04AM

Yeah, I am old enough to have heard the conspiracy theories about plastic cards, bar codes & the number of the beast, microchips and the mark of the beast.........all that ol' shite

but, face it... todays latest technology is going to be tomorrows out of date rubbish.... even cash is only a paper barter token

[essexexmo - looking forward to quantum superposition internet :-) ]

Posted by: cl2zip ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:37AM

and now I have to start using them again. As a single mother with 2 jobs and 2 kids to raise, I didn't have the energy to pay close enough attention to what was going on and I had several mishaps that caused some financial problems.

Just recently--as an example--my son used his debit card to purchase something off of Amazon. He didn't read the fine print of the free shipping--where if you try the free shipping, after a month, they will sign you up for some $80 yearly program and there went $80 (they refunded it, but if I hadn't caught it for him and called--he would be out $80). Then he got a prescription at a local drug store and they accidentally put in $50 instead of $5 and then redid the transaction, but he isn't rich and that messed up his account. He had to talk to both the bank and the drug store and get it ironed out.

Personally, I can see the reason for using one. I can't use redbox or buy things off the internet (I get my ex to buy them and I pay him cash)--but I refuse to have automatic payments come out of my account, etc.

I lost a lot of money because I didn't have the time or energy to keep close track. When I have $100 in my wallet--when its gone, its gone.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:39AM

I think I mentioned this before, but when I was at BYU I used to see guys my age who could not figure out the ATM. They would stand there forever as I was waiting in line behind them, staring at it, pressing buttons for a long, long time. Then they would curse and walk into the bank.

Posted by: idahodreaming ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:36AM

Anyone my age who read the Sunday comics as a kid remembers Dick Tracy and his watch which was his TV/communication. It never seemed possible that the huge TV in our family room could ever really be watch size. Well here in my lifetime, we are there. I personally like writing my checks and carrying cash. I use cards for car rentals, air line tickets, ordering on line, etc. But I know the day of writing a check for my groceries will come to an end in my lifetime. The banks will do all our bookkeeping for us with our debits and credits. Its just a personal preference for me - not a fear of big brother is watching me. And when forced to change I will, but since I still have a choice, I choose to not use a card for daily use. And I am never-mo so. However, my father, who died at age 83 three years ago, loved his debit card for daily chores of grocery shopping, gas, etc.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:38AM

A couple of notes.

I would never ever use a debit card/ATM card for purchases. It doesn't come with much protection and can screw up you access to your money. Use a credit card! Never hand a debit card to clerk. If you can't swipe it yourself, don't use it.

People who use cash instead of cards spend less. It's been studied a lot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.