Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Regulargal ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:03AM

Well I haven't worn garmies for about 2 years now and living in California, as I do, it has been such a wonderful change in the quality of my everyday life not to have to have that second layer sticking to me all day! I have LOVED the feeling of just my clothes next to my body and I feel so much more comfortable in the heat.

But...... my tbm mom and sister and coming today and although my sister knows I no longer go to church or believe, I haven't told my mom yet. She was recently widowed last year and she lives in Utah and I only see her about once a year anyway. I just don't see the point in hurting her right now. She's 76 and a very sweet woman and I know that she would be extremely hurt by knowing that I no longer attend or believe. So I have chosen to simply not tell her. Sometimes, the truth really doesn't set people free and can often hurt unnecessarily.

So anyway, it's 90 degrees outside and I can't wear my tank tops and shorts. I have to wear clothes that look like I might have my garmies on underneath and I am really dreading it. My choice, I know, for not telling her, and a small sacrifice to keep the peace, but I'm not looking forward to sightseeing around the area being hot. At least I won't actually have two layers of clothes on..

Wish me luck..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:25AM

What about a medical excuse. You could say you have a skin condition and are unable to wear them until it clears up. Garments after all are itchy and uncomfortable especially in the heat.

Date: June 16, 2011 11:36AM

Not bad misty...I like the way you think. I did actually think about telling her i was having a female issue and needed to keep the area aired out as much as possible. lol...

She might want to see the skin condition, but I don't think she'll want to check out the female issue..haha

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:43AM

Just how massive are these garmies? I've seen them, but you should be able to wear a light t-shirt and some longer shorts, right? Or do they stick out farther than I'm thinking?

Towing the line to avoid hurting family sucks, but hurting family sucks too, so I definitely understand. Good luck.

Date: June 16, 2011 11:48AM

lol beulah. There's certainly aren't massive, but I've really gotten so used to not having something touching my underarms when it's hot out, that now, when I do, it just starts me sweating right away. I had that issue when I wore garmies as well, and so I just always had to wear really loose fitting shirts so that at least the shirt wouldn't touch my underarms. Unfortunately, the garmies still did and I would start sweating. It's been so nice, not to have the sweating problem anymore.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 12:06PM

re the alleged 'Medical Condition':

Why Don't you know this Test of your Faith is God's way of telling you that you're Spechul?

Gird Up Your Loins, dearie; Fresh Courage Take!

inthenameofCheeseandCrackers, Amen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 12:07PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.