Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:22PM

Is the concept of "Manifest Destiny" integral to the early development of Mormonism?

Let's see. The descendants of ancient Hebrew immigrants needing their Gentile adoptees to restore them to the truth of their divine heritage need to move aside so Mormon Pioneers can move in an both build themselves a restorative religious kingdom while simultaneously bringing Jesus back to some of Ancient Palestine's "lost sheep?"

Joe moved West slowly until he was killed and his followers hightailed it "far" out West. Kirtland wasn't in Indian lands though, that I know of. I think if Joe hadn't got caught anti-banking other people's money Mormons would have stayed in Ohio?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 12:23PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 11:03PM

An external observer (from Canada) can see American arrogance (aka "Manifest Destiny") within Church doctrines.

My wife told me that Joseph Smith prophesied that the whole of the Americas would eventually become a single nation (Zion). The supremacy of the USA and its inspired Constitution was assumed.

America would eventually annex Canada as an inevitable prophesy. They should have learned their lesson during 1812, but Manifest Destiny flames eternal.

Joseph assumed that his destiny was to lead the USA. His Church followers would carry him onto victory.

Joseph was always an "outlaw." He took is followers to the edge of the country to live at the edge of the law.

What Joseph ignored was the protection of the law. When I was a member I would teach the the commandments offered the protection of the law. When someone was declared an "outlaw," it meant that anyone could deal with a criminal without due process. True frontier justice without legal protection of trial. Becoming an "outlaw" didn't serve Joseph well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 08:16AM by idleswell.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 11:19PM

Mormonism is a religious form of Manifest Destiny itself. It's almost impossible to imagine early Mormonism not being fueled by the teachings of Manifest Destiny in the early church.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 11:37PM

Joe would have been driven out of Ohio one way or another. Polygamy was bound to make Mormons bad neighbors. He thought he had the law beat, but then came Carthage.

I wouldn’t put it past Briggy to have Joe “offed”, but I think the power grab was more an opportunistic move. When you form a rat pack, the rats turn on each other.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 08:53AM

"Is the concept of "Manifest Destiny" integral to the early development of Mormonism?"

Absolutely, but it doesn't stand alone. It is paired with the mound builder myth.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 10:16AM

Kirtland was Indian lands a long time ago because it's part of the Ohio River Valley. Washington and other Americans began acquiring the land after the French and Indian wars 1760s. But the British and French didn't get completely out until the war of 1812. Land was granted to soldiers as payment for the American Revolutionary war of 1780's. But Manifest Destiny was integral to early mormondom and to the present American experience. In indian tradition the most powerful tribe took the land from the weaker. so when the White Settlers came they were the dominant race and were just carrying on Indian tradition anyway. And the Indians accepted it by their own customs.

Ohio Mormonism was largely influenced by Sidney Rigdon and his original congregation. And old Joe wanted to be the top dog, Moving to Missouri was his way of taking more power.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.