Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: morgsinvadenyc ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:30PM

Have you seen this?!?!?

The church has purchased huge billboards in times square for its "I'm a Mormon!" ads and mass advertising space on the top of new york city taxi's.

http://newsroom.lds.org/article/mormon-ads-new-york-city

They're running a very expensive PR campaign here! attempting to capitalize on the publicity through the broadway musical. Though I can't see how this will help them, the book of mormon musical makes them look stupid.. its hardly a positive message surely?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:33PM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:37PM

How could this anything but free advertising for the musical?

Anyone familiar with the show is thinking, "I'm A Mormon, hmmm, and a mormon just believes! Ha Ha!"

My circle of voters agree that the advertising is a hilarious confirmation of mormon cluelessness. How can mormons not see that trying to associate itself with the show is not a good idea and does not promote mormonism in any useful way?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:38PM

I couldn't believe they were using those stupid "I'm a Mormon" ads in NYC. People will be singing to that. The images of the Mormon on the Harley and the Mormon rock climbing with an amputated leg only add to the hilarity. "Oh, I get it. Mormons are superheroes AND they believe that God lives on a planet named after a computer language." Dumber 'n dirt.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:40PM

I guess they think that any publicity is good publicity and now is the time to capitalize on the publicity by Broadway. If anyting they will use the opportunity to make up some faith promoting rumors about how the musical got people to look at the church and become members. After all, who can prove such claims wrong? I doubt you will get much questioning from the faithfull over such claims either. I think the "I'm a Mormon" campaigh are as much of a pr attempt at retention and reactivation as they are a conversion tool, probably more so. It seems to me that the campaign is more about convincing mormons of thier mainstream status than it is about informing people or dispelling "misunderstandings".

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:11PM

.. in his peculiar inflection next conference...

"Mrs. Macklebee....... watched.... the book of mormon musical..............................she was.........confused about...............................what she saaaaaaaw.........she saw a taxi..... cab......... and went to our website.........got in touch with the missionaries...........................and found the joys of Christ's gospellllll..........................through the spirit....................of our llooooooooooooord..

Posted by: Laban's Head forgot her password ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:04PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:33PM

Another example of missing common sense.

If I came up to you and tapped you on the shoulder and said,

I'm anagrammy and I'm normal!

You'd think I thought I looked abnormal, or that you thought I was abnormal for some reason.

Now let me repeat that several times, everywhere you turn. Does that make you think I'm more normal or less normal?

Common sense tells you that people advertise because they want to get word out on something. The word wouldn't need to be gotton out, IF PEOPLE THOUGHT MORMONS WERE NORMAL!

Why do people NOT think Mormons are normal? The internet and now, praise Nogod, the Book of Mormon musical.

Hahahahaha,

Anagrammy

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 04:40PM

Ap 1996 CBS 60 Minutes

Gordon BS Hinckley in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphnhNopWUo

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 05:58PM

I wonder what the money spent on this advertising would have bought the people in Haiti...

Date: June 16, 2011 06:13PM

What kind of tithing revenue would all the Haitian converts combined be when compared to the tithing of a few New Yorkers?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:15PM

I don't understand your point?

Date: June 16, 2011 07:29PM

The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is a business. Period.

Businesses make investments. They don't give away their money. Do you know how long it's taken for the church to gain the wealth it enjoys today? That's a lot of work.

Giving money to Haiti would be a terrible business decision. Even if they won over a lot of converts, the average income in Haiti is so low that it would take decades for the church to break even on its investment.

If, however, they are able to win converts in rich New York state they will gain massive revenues that will immediately offset the money they're investing in advertising.

It's just math.

If the church donates a bunch of money to Haiti and then says "hey look at us! We just donated a bunch of money to Haiti!" then everybody will know that they only did it for recognition. That's bad P.R.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:08PM

Maybe this will be a giant success, and lots of people will delve deeply int mormonism, and line up in thousands upon thousands to be taught by the missionaries and baptized?

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 05:01PM

and what other choice do they have. Better to use all that money to try and fix the PR problem and maybe add a few tithing payers to the rolls. Or they can retreat back to the Morridor.

I would likely do the same thing. Funny though that their success will likely be tied to the musical that so many LDs hate.

Makes for a great faith promoting story...like the ones I told on my mission. "Anti Church shows Godmakers and baptisms went up." Too bad for the Church that's likely just lore.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:08PM

How fucking stupid can the mormon leadership be?

If the funds wasted in such a crass, vulgar promotion were actually spent on helping the poor (and documented), people in need would be helped, and the mormon "church" would reap considerable positive publicity for itself.

This is the behavior of small-minded unremarkable men who fancy themselves as mouthpieces for the lord - and demand adoration from their countrymen. Morons ...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:20PM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 07:06PM

Heresy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Actually (and how funny is this??) I understood that the missionaries are NOT ALLOWED in Times Square due to the extreme sinful distractions there!

I think it would be the funniest thing to get TSCC to set up a table on the street with missionaries there.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:41PM

My teenage son saw a news story on this and said "Who advertises that they are just like everyone else unless they are really weird?" He also thought it was an outrageous waste of money in this economy -- especially since some friends of ours lost their house to foreclosure. Despite being faithful tithe payers. Did they church help at all? Nope - not even to rent them a storage, although an LDS friend did pay for them to store their stuff temporarily until they found a rental. But that was an individual member - not LDS inc.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:05PM

that's not correct?

“Generally, misconceptions arise as a result of inaccurate information. When people are better informed, misconceptions about us tend to diminish.”

When I grew up some people thought we had horns and multiple wives. So aside from that, what?

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:43PM

Yeah but the church doesn't even give a faithful account of itself: how many versions of the first vision? how many different spins on BoM geography? Why does the DNA and archeological record confirm some OT history but no BoM history? Why keep using the KJV as the most correct translation when biblical and linguistic scholarship is now centuries ahead of sixteenth and seventeenth century scholarship?

Why is Joseph Smith's keeping polygamy secret and coercing many young women and other men's wives to marry him--why is that not divulged? Why does the church not give a clearer and more honest account of how it uses family to make leaving it so hard, stripping people of the freedom to choose (stay in the church or lose your family)? Why doesn't the church make plain Smith's use of seer stones to find treasure and his use of a hat to translate the BoM from the plates that disappeared conveniently and forever? Why not tell people that the BoA, part of Mormon scripture, is just Egyptian funeral documents, not a book by Abraham, and no non-Mormon Egyptologist has ever said otherwise? There is so much that the church does not come clean with that it's unbelievable that people this day and age still fall for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 11:02PM by derrida.

Posted by: anon10 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 07:32PM

Thank you mormon church for wasting my parent's money.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:22PM

Posted by: testiphony ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:31PM

In fact I think that was their motivation for Prop 8, political reasons. I think prop 8 was a way for them to get the evangelical right more on their side and this night be an attempt to make Mitt Romney's Mormonism more normal and palatable. I didn't say it was a good strategy.

Posted by: Flyboy ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 01:03AM

Does anyone have a guesstimate of the salaries of the GAs? I keep hearing they only get a "stipend" but a "stipend" could be $500K plus bonuses and 402-Ks etc.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:52AM

I'm still laughing and hearing, "Kolob, black people, Thomas Monson talks to God, WTF is this", and I didn't even SEE the whole play in NYC! It's gotta be the absolute crappiest place for the mishies to peddle!

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:40PM

For sure!! I'm just crossing my fingers that one day it will become an off Broadway hit and move on into Hollywood to become a major motion picture.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 04:27PM

if they really think they can spin up a positive PR back lash from the BOM musical. anyone STUPID enough to join LDs inc in that back lash will be a real fine catch! - REAL MORmONS just made official!

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 04:51PM

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 06:43PM

Purpose is Retention. Retention and only Retention.

Think about it. NYC is full of good, high-tithing Mos.

B of M musical comes out, everyone asks fruity questions about Mormonism. It's enough to psych a person out...

High $, high-class advertizing counters the negative impact. After all, any outfit that spends that much $ on advertizing can't be totally fruity, right? And it will tone down the questions...

RG

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.