Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TigerTom1 ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 01:02PM

Dear Brothers and Sisters:
The name of the Church was given by the Lord Himself when He instructed: "For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" (Doctrine and Covenants 115:4). To be true to that charge, we are changing the names of many of the Church's global communication channels as follows:
LDS.org will become ChurchofJesusChrist.org.
The missionary-focused website Mormon.org will be changed to ComeUntoChrist.org.
Church social media accounts will emphasize the name of the Savior's Church.
Over time, many Church communication channels in English will become part of ChurchofJesusChrist.org. In coming months, Church websites and social media accounts in other languages will be adjusted following a similar pattern. More detail can be found below or at Newsroom.ChurchofJesusChrist.org.
This is a complex effort in numerous global languages and much work remains. We encourage all to be patient and courteous as we work together to use and share the proper name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout the world.
Jesus Christ is at the center of His Church and we will be blessed as we strive to make Him the center of our lives.

Sincerely yours,

The First Presidency
Of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 01:07PM

Yup.

But....

The Holy Priesthood after the order of the Son of God is still called the Melchizedek Priesthood D&C 107:3-5

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 01:43PM

I can't figure this out.

The divinely mandated name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

So its website must be called the Church of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 12:57AM

i threw away all my cult stuff but i am sure in the front of the book of mormon it says THE CORPORATION OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS.

https://secure.utah.gov/bes/details.html?entity=555534-0145

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 02:34PM

Quick....

Someone tell the UK press who identifies it as

"Latter Day Saint movement of Restorationist Christianity, the followers of which are commonly known as Mormons."

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 05:54PM

We didn't learn about the whole Christian restoration movement of the 19th century when we were in Seminary. Can't quite figure that out. No one ever told me it was a movement and LDS weren't the only ones. Around these parts Churches of Christ (Church of Christ, not to be confused with UCC), is a big one that not only sprang out of the same movement, but it's founder, Campbell, was an acquaintance of JS. Whould thunk?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:27PM

ComeUntoChrist.org! How generic can you get?

Mormon God--AKA Russ Nelson--has finally given up on being a peculiar people with the one true church and is all about blending with the mundane masses--so long as they can still treat women and gays badly. It's like he's trying to get a piece of the Born Again action.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:35PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ComeUntoChrist.org! How generic can you get?
>
> Mormon God--AKA Russ Nelson--has finally given up
> on being a peculiar people with the one true
> church and is all about blending with the mundane
> masses--so long as they can still treat women and
> gays badly. It's like he's trying to get a piece
> of the Born Again action.

Great inspiration D&D!

So after Nelson is gone the church will go through a renaissance period where the members will be Mormon Again!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:35PM

There are other denominations out there that call themselves the Church of Jesus Christ. I'd like to see the corporation try to copyright this!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:47PM

So this is serious? They are seriously going to change all the domain name items, all the stationery, the branding, artwork and posters and floor mats and anything else with names, and yet they still don't have any consistency?
-ComeuntoChrist versus ChurchofJesusChrist?

So, there are two factions and they couldn't agree on which revelation was right, so they compromised on two?

Date: March 05, 2019 04:53PM

Yes, they are serious about it

Date: March 05, 2019 06:52PM

My mind boggles at what this will cost. All the Missionary name tags with the old name of the church on them, will all have to be called in and re-done (or use a piece of tape and a felt pen with the new name?). All of everything, name changed. What about all the books with the old name, on the title pages and stuff, all the website pages? I just can't believe this is going to happen. I think it will take years and cost millions.

Date: March 05, 2019 07:55PM

mel Wrote:
> My mind boggles at what this will cost. All the
> Missionary name tags with the old name of the
> church on them, will all have to be called in and
> re-done (or use a piece of tape and a felt pen
> with the new name?). All of everything, name
> changed. What about all the books with the old
> name, on the title pages and stuff, all the
> website pages? I just can't believe this is going
> to happen. I think it will take years and cost
> millions.

The name tags said Mormon?
All the ones I have seen said COJCoLDS, which is the official name

Date: March 05, 2019 08:06PM

You are correct. But ccjcolds isn’t the name any more according to this news.

I like ziontology too!!!

Date: March 05, 2019 08:35PM

mel Wrote:
> You are correct. But ccjcolds isn’t the name any
> more according to this news.
>
> I like ziontology too!!!

Yes, it is. They even quote the D&C in the very first line. I think they are just taking of LDS part for websites.

"The name of the Church was given by the Lord Himself when He instructed: "For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" (Doctrine and Covenants 115:4).....

This is a complex effort in numerous global languages and much work remains. We encourage all to be patient and courteous as we work together to use and share the proper name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout the world.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 08:37PM by angela.

Date: March 05, 2019 09:31PM

Angela, thanks! I confused the website names with the longer church name.

You’re right. But if the missionaries site is called come unto Christ and the name tag is different and the church website is different than the name on the BoM, I don’t see the point of all these different names.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 09:55PM

Mel, I think you just answered your own question. LDS Inc. is purposely trying to confuse people. With so many different generic sounding christian names, outsiders are thrown off the Mormon scent.

I just googled comeuntochrist.org and was lead to mormon.org. The mormon.org website looks very christian mainstream. Without clicking on any of the links, you'd never know you were looking at a Mormon church website. It even says: "Join us this Easter, April 21 as we celebrate Him." That is NOT the typical way Mormons talk. They rarely refer to Christ as "Him".

Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 12:49AM

but it's ok. no matter what the cost it's worth it so people can't find the real truth about the cult history as easily. it will be easier to fool people into the cult.

Posted by: Born in fell out ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 08:04PM

Id like to see a shorter version

'THE CHURCH OF ZIONTOLOGY'

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 08:23PM

What a colossal waste of money and effort. Doesn't LDS Inc. realize that unless they write Joseph Smith and Brigham Young out of their history and rename the Book of Mormon, that although they present themselves to the world as members of the more generic sounding Church of Jesus Christ, they'll have to eventually let the cat out of the bag and bring up the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, dead giveaways pointing to the Mormon church?

Joseph Smith should have realized his big mistake when he named the Book of Mormon. The BoM had many made-up authors and Mormon wasn't even the last guy to write in it. Why did Joseph name the entire book after him? Not very inspired. He should have just called it The Second Testament of Christ, which sounds more Christian than The Book of Mormon. I'll bet that's what will eventually happen. Mark my words.

When I was a missionary we were instructed to teach the discussion about Joseph Smith first, before all other discussions. We tried doing that but the minute we uttered the name "Joseph Smith" we were asked to leave. We were so fed up we asked the mission president if it was okay to instead start with the discussion about Jesus Christ. That discussion was nice because there was no mention of Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon. It worked. The people who let us in and enjoyed talking about Jesus invited us back for a second discussion. But the second discussion was about Joseph Smith and the investigators looked betrayed and frightened once they figured out we were Mormon. It was awful.

There's a lot of political correctness going on where I live. Buildings and schools are being renamed as to not commemorate people whose past deeds are now viewed as racist. Fair enough. But the Mormon church seems to be censoring itself for a name THEY made up - a name that most identifies them. Don't they realize it makes them look like fools? They are showing the world that they are embarrassed about who they are. Even worse, the "leaders" are humiliating their own tithing paying members, members who were recently instructed to proudly announce to the world, "I am a Mormon."

Date: March 05, 2019 09:21PM

Heartbroken,

Very interesting post. Thank you!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 01:20AM

Most things I've discovered point me toward the conclusion that the original intention was to make money by selling a book. If the book sold well, money would come in. Joseph Smith would become the resident expert on the book and people would come to him for further understanding. He could go on a lecture circuit.

The book would be appealing to the public (or so Joe surmised) because it had so many things going for it. Adventure, wars and battles, an explanation of the then very mysterious ancient history of the Americas, answers to controversial theological disputes raging in Joe's time, anti-secret society memes that paralleled the anti-Masonry politics of Joe's time.

Surely it would sell well and Joe and Ollie and Martin and the Whitmers and other Smiths would be sitting pretty. Maybe they could even start up a church.

It didn't sell well.

So they tried to sell the copyright in Canada, but couldn't find an interested buyer (even though the peepstone said they would be able to sell it).

Eventually, all they were left with was starting up a church. Not in the way they hoped. But they found enough suckers to join that it was still preferable to doing any honest work.

That's a long way of explaining why nothing in Mormonism evidences a well thought out plan. It was a business plan that evolved over time. As one line of business failed, another one had to be devised to fill in the gap on an ad hoc basis. Eventually the Book of Mormon project turned into a Church that included a secret swingers club (identifiable to each other by secret underwear markings and secret handshakes), a top leader guy who thought that Adam was the god they prayed to and a belief that drinking green tea was evil. Like I said. No comprehensive plan. Just one nonsense story after another and an endless series of new lies to distract attention away from past lies.

And that brings us to the present big new lie: Jesus is sad and offended when people call his church the "Mormon" church.

What a racket!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 03:37AM

But it stopped being Joseph’s church after Brigham Young led the saints outside of U.S. jurisdiction to build his theofeudal empire.

Date: March 06, 2019 03:37PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> Most things I've discovered point me toward the conclusion that the original intention was to make money by selling a book.

Wally, this makes a lot of sense to me, and as you say, an evolving business plan when one thing didn't work, try another.

Thank you for this clarifying post!

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 12:03AM

At least they acknowledge that the official name has changed at least three times. In retrospect they should've stuck with the original Church of Christ (despite the confusion with other sects by that name.)

The official statement below (from the main site) raises obvious questions. Why was "getting the Church's name right" an "evolving process" if revelation was involved from the very beginning? Wouldn't getting the name right from the start have been the Lord's job #1? Why did the Lord wait until 1838 (eight years from its founding) to reveal the name of his restored church?

'Latter-day Saint scripture and history show that getting the Church’s name right has been an evolving process from the faith’s earliest days. In the Book of Mormon, for example, Christ’s disciples could not agree on what to call the Church. Christ’s answer was to “take upon you the name of Christ.” In 1830 the Church was organized as the Church of Christ.

The Church adopted a resolution in 1834 to change the name to the Church of the Latter Day Saints to distinguish it from other Christian denominations of the time.

Then in 1838, the Lord Jesus Christ revealed to Joseph Smith that the name of the Church is to be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Over the years, the Church standardized the spelling and hyphenation of its name, making it The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as it is used today.'

Date: March 06, 2019 01:04AM

Jeheezus, even the very Christ!!, had to wait until number 17 came along because none of the others were spiritually advanced enough to know how deeply Jeheezus was offended by the fact that member of his church were called "Mormons".

Ohhh, how Jeheezus hates that word. Ohhhh, how that word has filled him with sorrow and pain above and beyond that suffered on the cross or even in the Garden of Gethsemane.

But only the Prophet Nelson understood this. The Monson, the Hinckley, the Hunter, the Benson, the Kimball and all before that knew not how Jeheezus felt. Jeheezus forgave them for they knew not what they did. But he waited longingly for the deeply spiritual Nelson to finally be seated upon the prophetic throne to right this long-standing wrong.

That's the basic subtext.

Date: March 06, 2019 03:39PM

xxMo0 Wrote:

> Wouldn't getting the name right from the start have been the Lord's job #1?

Agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 03:47PM by mel.

Date: March 06, 2019 12:53AM

websites, reading through the various items posted on the websites and...about 10 minutes later...exclaiming "WTF!!?? This is a Mormon website! Why didn't they say so?? Who are they trying to fool?"

Brilliant, Mr. Nelson. Just brilliant. Just confuse everyone about which "Church of Christ" you are. That'll work out really well in the long run. Oh, yeah, you're the weirder "Church of Christ" that believes in magic underwear, peepstones and polygamy and that would be...uhmmm...oh yeah! That would be the MORMONS!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 03:42AM

Appearing devious is probably truth in advertising.

Date: March 06, 2019 03:41PM

Wally Prince Wrote:

> Brilliant, Mr. Nelson. Just brilliant.

If they let the domain "mormon.org" go, it would be fun to buy it and use it for nefarious purposes.

They are paying for so many domain names and now adding ChurchofJesusChrist.org. The bean-counters who decided not to pay janitorial might stop paying the Mormon.org domain. The people here could have a lot of fun with it, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 03:51PM by mel.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 02:37AM

“Doesn't LDS Inc. realize that unless they write Joseph Smith and Brigham Young out of their history and rename the Book of Mormon...”

Who says this isn’t part of The Plan?

It worked well for the RLDS -turned - Community of Christ.

Most Christian churches are quite generic in name, and have vaguely similar names.

Looks like it’s finally clear to the Big 15 that they need to drop the Book of Mormon, drop Joseph Smith. Become just another right wing Christian Church. A BIG right wing Christian Church.

It’s not going to be clean and pretty every step of the way, but it’s a bona fide, legit route to move Mormonism into the 21st Century.

Selling a fraud with dudes in white shirts stopped working when the internet came along in 1995.

Dropping the whole Joseph Smith/Book of Mormon focus will take a generation and loose a lot of old-timers, but all along the CoC model was the only realistic way forward.

Props to them. I hope this also results in watering down the required beliefs, but that will take a while, if it happens...

RG

Date: March 06, 2019 04:40AM

But it's not clear whether they got any particular benefit from the name change.

They apparently had a declining membership prior to the name change. Is there any indication that this was significantly reversed after the name change?

In any case, they are still a relatively minor sect that increasingly has nothing to distinguish itself from your garden variety protestant sects.

If that's what the LSD Church wants to morph into, the Nelson may be on the right track. But he probably won't be around long enough to see it through. He can't go much faster than he is without risking the possibility that the changes will shock a huge percentage of the members into realizing that it's all a farce.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 09:19AM

I find it ironic that nearly everyone in this thread that referred to the full name of TSCC got the name wrong.

It is Latter-day. Another organization has the rights to the name with a capital D. They are quite proud of the fact that they own the one true capitalization. I kid you not.

Date: March 06, 2019 03:53PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:

> It is Latter-day. Another organization has the rights to the name with a capital D.

Amazing. Till you said this, I had never noticed the lower-case 'd'. This is hilarious, really.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 01:11PM

It is funny that they quote D&C 115:4 in their justification, but then they ignore D&C 135:7 –

"They were innocent of any crime, as they had often been proved before, and were only confined in jail by the conspiracy of traitors and wicked men; and their innocent blood on the floor of Carthage jail is a broad seal affixed to 'Mormonism' that cannot be rejected by any court on earth, and their innocent blood on the escutcheon of the State of Illinois, with the broken faith of the State as pledged by the governor, is a witness to the truth of the everlasting gospel that all the world cannot impeach; and their innocent blood on the banner of liberty, and on the magna charta of the United States, is an ambassador for the religion of Jesus Christ, that will touch the hearts of honest men among all nations; and their innocent blood, with the innocent blood of all the martyrs under the altar that John saw, will cry unto the Lord of Hosts till he avenges that blood on the earth. Amen."

Oops. Major victory for Satan right there in the holy scriptures. And that bit about staining Illinois with their blood? That was part of the original version of "Praise to the Man" but was subsequently dropped.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 05:33PM

The Church Of Mainstream Nothing Weird Here

Date: March 06, 2019 10:15PM

Eric3 Wrote:
> The Church Of Mainstream Nothing Weird Here

Good one!!!

Posted by: edy ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 10:31PM

Dear Rusty,
i have no doubt you are hearing voices but maybe wendy can do an evaluation on you and determine what treatment you need. you are a doctor and well aware of what hearing voices means.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.