Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 06:11PM

The show on Netflix. They claim to be modern day FLDS I guess. They drink coffee and alcohol which I read the FLDS did because they broke away from JS before the WoW was implemented so strictly. However, I notice they don’t seem to wear garments and all of their “sealings” are outside anything remotely resembling a Temple. It seems the “sealings” usually take place in a home but using the words used in the Temple like “and I say to you be fruitful and multiple and replenish the earth”... So, what’s up we that? Do they believe in garments and the Temple even though of course they can have no dealings with the mainstream Temple or get garments from the mainstream Church? These people clearly drink coffee and wear spaghetti strap tank tops in their home even if modestly dressed outside the home and of course you’re not supposed to take your garments off even when lounging or going to bed. So, is this legit are they really FLDS or just a bunch of used to be mainstreamers that wanted to go their own way snd stuck a big F in front of their name? They wear modern clothes and all that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 06:23PM

There is no continuity among the hundreds of large and small groupings.

Some wear garments. Others don't.
Some have temples. Others don't.
Some drink coffee and booze, but not all.

No mormons are legit in my opinion.

But all of them claim to be.

I grew up on a polygamous compound and also attended the main stream mormon church. I'm telling it like it is.

My brother had several wives and 19 children. My sister is also a fanatical mormon.

Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 06:39PM

they are in it for the money. the first wife can't stand him and the second one said they are like friends. the third and fourth ones have strong stomachs because this guy is a repulsive jerk.

Date: March 07, 2019 07:07PM

No, they absolutely do claim to be FLDS even if OTHER FLDS would not agree. I am also aware of the RLDS and my understanding is in some branches women can hold the priesthood. I looked it up online and a lot of resources do say that some FLDS do not adhere to the WOW in the way the mainstream Church which allows the choice to consume coffee and alcohol but like all resources, not all are reliable, especially online. Maybe they are reformed fundamentalists? I mean, there are all sorts of branches and it seems everyday something new pops up. I don’t know, just curious about it.

Date: March 07, 2019 07:08PM

I’m sorry if I replied wrong. I get confused if I should hit reply on the bottom or the top! I’m still getting used to the way the forum functions!

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 06:42PM

I seldom watch anything on Netflix other than an occasional comedy. I haven't seen the show you're talking about but from your description it doesn't sound very accurate. I think you are perhaps confusing the RLDS (now the Community of Christ) with the FLDS. The FLDS do observe the WoW and wear the garments. They also marry in their temple I do believe.

The RLDS never moved west with the Brighamites and renounced polygamy. The FLDS broke away from the LDS when the church publicly renounced polygamy under Pres. Wilford Woodruff with the Manifesto. The LDS as well as the FLDS observe the WoW as it was made a more strict observance under Brigham Young.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 06:45PM

The WoW was not tightened by the heavy-drinking BY but by Heber J. Grant during Prohibition.

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:18PM

Wikipedia may have it wrong: At a general conference of the church held on September 9, 1851, Young called on the attendees to "leave off the use of" items mentioned in the Word of Wisdom:

The Patriarch [John Smith] again rose to speak on the Word of Wisdom, and urging on the brethren to leave off using tobacco, &c.

President Young rose to put the motion and called on all the sisters who will leave off the use of tea, coffee, &c., to manifest it by raising the right hand; seconded and carried.

And then put the following motion; calling on all the boys [sic] who were under ninety years of age who would covenant to leave off the use of tobacco, whisky, and all things mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, to manifest it in the same manner, which was carried unanimously."

I believe it was a gradual move away from casual to stricter compliance.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 11:13PM

Sometimes emphasizing it more than at other times. (Like the "every member a missionary" thing.)

But it wasn't until the prohibitionist fanatic Heber J. Grant came along that they actually enforced it by making temple worthiness conditional upon strict compliance.

Before that there was a lot of latitude and many of the top leaders indulged in occasional wine drinking, beer drinking, tobacco product consumption, tea, coffee. There generally was no attitude to the effect that one drop of coffee or wine was a serious sin of any kind. Most 19th century Mormons would have laughed at the way that modern Mormons recoil in horror at the though of accidentally sipping wine or tea.

It was more of a moderation thing. I still remember some of the really old people in my neighborhood when I was a kid who had grown up before Heber J. Grant imposed his personal insanity on the church. For many of them, Heber's commandment was taken with a grain of salt. They still kept coffee and booze in their homes. And these were devout, stalwart members who had grown up in Utah. I used to visit a very old lady who lived next door (her son was in the Bishopric) and she would offer the kids some hot cocoa and make a cup of coffee for herself.

Before Heber J. Grant came along a Mormon typically wouldn't get into trouble for any kind of Word of Wisdom issue unless they were extremely immoderate in their vices, as in sleeping on the sidewalk drunk every night.

Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:02PM

no, catholicrebel got it right. these guys do drink and are kind of loose in their ways. they don't wear garments

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/oct/16/q-kody-brown-and-his-sister-wives/

Oct 16, 2012 - 'Sister Wives' clan finds accepting home in Las Vegas (10-16-2012) .... Kody: We are Fundamentalist Mormons, not the LDS or FLDS.

Date: March 07, 2019 07:14PM

This isn’t Sister Wives but the show is called “Three Wives,One Husband” it is similar.

Date: March 08, 2019 06:08AM

When I was a member I struggled with the WOW. I love coffee and the occasional glass of wine. It’s funny because I am from the South and giving up sweet tea was the least hardest of them all for me because I honestly rarely drink sweet tea and the occasional hot cup usually sweetened with honey at night. My hot teas usually are lavender, chamomile, that sort of thing and get the “pass”. However, I love the smell of brewed tea and lemon and have a candle that literally smells up my whole house as though I just brewed the biggest pot of tea and lemon possible. When the missionaries came over I’d have to explain. It’s funny to me that members can guzzle soda, 5 hour energy, and eat a tiramisu by the pound but if a member was caught walking out of the Starbucks the Bishopric would faint. Some claim they get cream based frappes or drinks but I straight up would order regular frappes while a member and still had a limited use recommend. I was due for my endowments when I left. The way I read the WOW was it simply was a suggestion for those without self-control to give up vices but if you had them under control in moderation you could drink coffee, tea, wine. So, when they asked me if I obeyed it, I would smile and say yes because they never asked if I obeyed it according to their current day standards. I heard the whole thing got started because Emma was pissed at JS for him and his friends spitting tobacco on the floor and he went “to the Lord” for revelation to appease her and basically added the coffee and tea bid for spite. Meanwhile, he’s still sleeping with other men’s wives but he’s got his coffee and tea drinking under control so he’s a shoo-in for the Celestial Kingdom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 06:15AM by catholicrebel.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:17PM

I know that at least for the Short Creek FLDS (Hilldale/Colorado City) coffee is perfectly fine.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 06:05AM

That's the reality.

These groups are separate from each other and run by leaders who make the rules.

Read my book, Plural Bride to Be if you want more information.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 09:39PM

The garments originally were part of the general temple outfit.It wasn't until around 1930 that they became required at all times. Somebody else may have more accurate information, but These are the basic facts. So a fundamentalist would insist that God/Joseph Smith intended them to be used solely inside the edifices, or as part of an official Priesthood ordinance.

Date: March 07, 2019 10:59PM

are very murky at best.

Other than the clear connection to Masonry or, more accurately, the clear plagiarism from Freemasonic rituals and symbols, nobody really knows the details about how the temple rituals were originally presented by Joseph Smith to his followers.

It all happened at the time when Joseph Smith's extra-marital ambitions were at their peak and, apparently, many of his close buddies were wanting in on the "licensed adultery program" too.

As far as I know, no foundational/constitutional "revelation" for the temple ordinances, rituals, costumes and other accouterments has ever been made public. So nobody can really check current practices against any detailed instructions that supposedly came from God.

When I was young, it was assumed by most people that every single detail was essential and had been revealed to Joseph Smith by God, even though we were never shown the precise wording of any such revelation.

But then they started deleting major components without even giving any explanation. To those of us who still like to think independently on occasion, it's clear that it's all just a bunch of made-up nonsense, like some ridiculous set of rituals Tom Sawyer would make up for a secret boys' club or something.

But for many TBMs it's just another day of playing follow the leaders...even off a cliff, as long as the leaders say "Simon Says" before ordering everyone to walk over the edge of the cliff.

Date: March 07, 2019 10:44PM

Before the SLC Temple was completed, they took over part of the Council House and used it for "temple" crap. Then they built an "Endowment House" which basically looked like a plyg compound house.

All you need really is a dedication prayer and some cheap props and...PRESTO MAGIK-O! ... you've got yourself a genuine holy place where you can seal people up for eternity, do sacred handshakes and play with sacred curtains.

We joke about it, but they really could create a fleet of Temple Winnebagos if they wanted to.

Everything is optional. They got rid of the penalties. They got rid of the five points of fellowship. They got rid of the veils for wives. There literally is no more solid foundation for the temple garments than there is for the stuff that they've already gotten rid of.

The underwear design is simply a derivative of standard 19th century underwear. There is no record of any "revelation" that I'm aware of that dictated the dimensions and style of underwear. You could probably have temple speedos and bikini tops and they would have just as much legitimacy.

It's always been a stupid game of "follow the leaders and don't ask questions."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 12:08AM

Seven brides for two brothers.

Posted by: Stone Temple Pilot ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 08:13AM

All sounds very fishy to me. Revealing tops and polygamy but no temple? You can usually tell a lot about splinter groups by when they broke off. This one combines features of both early and late splinters.

There was an LGBT polygamist LDS group for a while though so notbing would surprise me.

It wouldn't surprise me if this show was a scripted fake like Duck Dynasty or Real Housewives. The characters may even be entirely fictional - not unheard of for "reality" TV.

Posted by: AJM ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 11:55AM

The polygamists in the Netflix show are in the Moab Ut area and have their homes built into the side of a red sandstone cliff. Maybe someone from Moab could shed further light and knowledge.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.