Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 06:07AM

The crimes they are a'changin in the great state of Utah.

Not so fast says GOP Rep Keven Stratton:

"What is legal is often far below what is morally right,” he said. "And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 08:57AM

to Sarah Lawrence, Maria Lawrence, Helen Kimball, Zina Huntington, Fanny Young, Patty Sessions, Sylvia Sessions, Fanny Alger, Lucinda, Nancy Winchester, et al about what is legal and what is morally right.

I'd be interested to see if he could come up with a philosophy that makes any sense.

If someone commits fornication and claims that God made them do it, is it no longer immoral? If someone commits adultery again and again and again and again with dozens of different partners, can they say that God told them to do it and make it all okay that way?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 09:39AM

“And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people."

You can’t stop the church from building malls.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 09:55AM

Lawmakers worth their salt know you cannot legislate morality.

So they may as well stop trying.

That's one of the precepts taught in every law school in America.

And people wonder what's wrong with the legal profession? It isn't a miracle worker either.

What Utah tried doing unsuccessfully was to legislate morality. And like Prohibition, it failed and failed badly.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 10:00AM

I hope the wait isn't too long to get a license!

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 10:21AM

Licensed fornication is called marriage.

Basically the government and church giving you permission to have sex then lawyers waiting with baited breath for such unions to fail so they can get money.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 10:27AM

I don't agree.

Fornication will no longer be illegal, which simply means unmarried sex is not illegal. But just like the privilege of driving a car, unmarried sex should be taught, tested and regulated!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 12:36PM

Where do you go to get a learner’s permit?

How many times can I re-take the sex test? Is premature ejaculation an automatic fail?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 12:39PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 04:35PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do you go to get a learner’s permit?

Are 3 forms of ID, birth certificate and proof of state residence required? Is there a 'driving test' administered by 'examiners?"
>
> How many times can I re-take the sex test? Is premature ejaculation an automatic fail?

Hahahah!

Date: March 08, 2019 12:23PM

The day that sex will be regulated will be the day people will be required to get licensed to have children. A Brave New World and Police State will follow.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 04:33PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> required to get licensed to have children.

Every time I read another horrific story of children abused or neglected I think there should be some requirement to have children. I think not requiring school attendance anymore was a huge loophole for abusive parents, allowing them to abuse without any hope of a teacher noticing and reporting it.

Of course, were the government to require licenses or at least some semblance of competence, it would probably not be done well and there would be unintended consequences, sadly.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 01:35AM

It could be as simple as compulsory contraception through implants or injections. Why would that be any more controversial than compulsory vaccinations?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 12:30PM

so ~

¿ can we legally fornicate in Utah ? ~

¿ or no ? ~

plz advise ~

Date: March 08, 2019 04:28PM

Utah statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under age 18. Close in age exemptions allow teens aged 16 and 17 to consent to partners less than 7 years older, and partners between 7 and 10 years older if they had no reasonable knowledge of the minor's age.

Utah Age of Consent & Statutory Rape Laws
https://www.ageofconsent.net/states/utah

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 09:14AM

""What is legal is often far below what is morally right,” he said. "And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people.""

Then for christs-sake...get over yourselves and allow the devil's-juice (5% beer) in grocery stores...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.