Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 10:37PM

Gots to love me some of that there daylight savings time.
Tomorrow at this exact time it will be an hour later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 05:32PM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 10:49PM

You sadist...

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:48PM

Why don't we just stay with DST, we are using it almost eight months of the year already.

Who is benefiting from switching back and forth?

More and more people are telecommuting, working 8 to 5 is almost meaningless now.

I'm in favour of year round DST.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 10:03AM

tumwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why don't we just stay with DST, we are using it
> almost eight months of the year already.
>
> Who is benefiting from switching back and forth?
>
> More and more people are telecommuting, working 8
> to 5 is almost meaningless now.
>
> I'm in favour of year round DST.

We still plant, cultivate and harvest crops using 24 hour days. We still watch and protect the cows when calving. Nothing has changed.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 04:49PM

Amen. Time changes are just a time to give you the illusion of jet lag until your sleep adjusts. Check out this funny video:
Cutting Out Holidays, by Studio C (Yes, I know Studio C is of BYU origin...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNa6CAMsEY

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:52PM

'O listen to a prophet's voice...'

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 12:27AM

Am I the only one who LOVES the change to "summer time??" I guess I still associate it with getting out of school all summer long, having warm evenings to hang out with friends, swimming.

Oh, well, I can still swim.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 12:57AM

I lurves swimming too catnip. I lived in the water once I learned to effortlessly slither through the water. Alas I had to quit when I realized what the damn chlorine was doing to me.

I must confess however that I was afraid of the water until I took a semester of swimming at BYU lol.

Anyway, I'm amused by all the fuss over daylight savings. I do recall what a pain in the ass DST was when I lived in Texas and wished to call my loved ones back in good ole Arizonie.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 11:05AM

Swimming has always eluded me. Took a semester. Instructors asked me to get out of the pool so they wouldn’t be responsible. Got a “B” for showing up every day.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 11:33AM

Sounds like me and pottery class. Toward the end of the semester my teacher had me take inventory so I could pass the course because I couldn't get the hang of throwing a pot. It wasn't for lack of trying lol.

He called me a picker and a grinner though in my yearbook "Keep on pickin and grinning," he said. I was a singer/songwriter back in high school.

Date: March 10, 2019 11:36AM

My children were required to have swimming after we moved to upstate NY. Because we're surrounded by two Great Lakes, and the Niagara Gorge, and Niagara Falls.

So it's mandatory for the school kids to know how to swim.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 01:13AM

Bah Humbug! We have the same amount of light without DST.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 01:27AM

It’s bad in hot climates. Means we have to wait forever for it to cool down in the evenings. DST was lobbied by sports equipment manufacturers it’s just another way corporations run our lives.

Date: March 10, 2019 01:35AM

It just means we're losing an hour of sleep and gaining an hour of sunlight.

Bah humbug. I dislike having to change my clocks twice a year.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:37AM

Such a pain to stay up until 2am just to change the clock.

Date: March 10, 2019 03:49AM

My cable and internet change automatically. And my car clock. I have one clock that I don't change, so it's already 'pre-set.' It's the other ones that are a pain. I don't wait up to change them. I'm up because I can't sleep.

I love clocks. It's inherited trait from my never Mo grandmother who collected them. I just love all kinds of clocks. Tick tock.

Date: March 10, 2019 11:58PM

Shame that nobody got that joke.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 08:23AM

Date: March 11, 2019 12:23PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Shame that nobody got that joke.

I did get it Dave.

Question is does the president get it?

It should be a no brainer to realize that making daylight saving time year round would have the same effect as simply rescinding the original decree which was simply intended as wartime measure.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 08:59AM

The sun didn't "return"--it just showed up an hour later today (according to the clocks that self-adjust).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 10:08AM

Central Maryland has a different feel lately. We're still getting some snow, but it's melting on impact. It feels like spring is struggling to emerge. I like winter, but at this point I'm looking forward to the warmer weather.

Date: March 10, 2019 11:26AM

Went to bed late. Woke up late. It's wet, rainy, and dreary. We'll be getting 60 mph winds today, almost like hurricane weather. It feels like I'm in a bad dream that I haven't woke up from.

Meh. DST. Who needs it?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 05:11PM

What's to love about the time change?

To me, it's just a bloody nuisance--so many clocks to change in my house--two times a year.

Date: March 10, 2019 11:21PM

I hear in the fall, we'll be paying a Set-The-Clock-Back Tax.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 01:16AM

kathleen Wrote:
> I hear in the fall, we'll be paying a
> Set-The-Clock-Back Tax.

If this is like the gas tax, usage-based, pollythinks May regret all her clocks. :)

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 03:37AM

I live in Queensland Australia and it's too bloody hot so the sun can piss right off and bring on winter.

We live on the beach so winter is perfect time for a swim with an average temperature of about 22c. Although some days it gets a bit cool and I have to wear something long sleeve for a couple of days.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 06:56AM

I'm in WA another state which doesn't have DST and I really wish we did.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 11:19AM

lindy() said

"I'm in WA another state which doesn't have DST and I really wish we did."

What part of WA do you live? Did a Google search of times in about 6 different cities, from Spokane to Ocean Shores a few minutes ago and they all said it was 8:15am.

Washington State is a DST state. The legislature is considering a bill to go to DLT year around.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 09:41PM

I was replying to someone in Queensland, Australia. I live in the state of Western Australia...known here in Oz as WA.

I realised after I'd posted that someone would think I meant Washington.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 06:18AM

Whoever invented daylight saving time, didn't have children. I think it was a coalition of wealthy male golfers that passed that law.

In our neighborhood, DST enables all our busy beehive-state neighbors to mow their lawns and hammer on their house-tear-down-and-build projects until late. Just try to sleep with that going on! It's too hot to eat dinner outside, anyway, and is hotter at 6:00 pm than it is at noon. I come home from work to all that heat and noise, and more work. The days seem too long, and the nerves are too frazzled. Now my kids are older, I come home from work, and go into my air conditioned room, put on noise-cancelling headphones, change into summer shorts, and close all the shades for a half hour, to decompress. That helps break up the long day.

I wonder what percentage of Americans spend their DST evenings on the golf course....

Heartless, that's one of my favorite jokes, twice a year, and someone always thinks I'm serious.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 11:32AM

"Whoever invented daylight saving time, didn't have children. I think it was a coalition of wealthy male golfers that passed that law."

Who revel in their power to change time itself!

Date: March 11, 2019 12:01PM

Could DST soon become another target of the presidential pen?

From today's MSN newsfeed:

> President Trump on Monday threw his support behind efforts to keep the United States permanently on daylight saving time, which took effect Sunday morning.
"Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!" Trump tweeted.
California and several other states are considering measures that would end the biannual clock changes between standard and daylight saving time.

From David Bowie:

"Time may change me...
but I can't change time"

Date: March 11, 2019 12:20PM

We had year round daylight savings time in 1973. It was horrible walking to school in the dark. Year round DST is such a bad idea.

Date: March 11, 2019 04:14PM

I agree.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 04:31PM

I know the sun is true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.