Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 02:35AM

Did anyone see Mitt Romney pulling out the candles on his Twinkie birthday cake one by one to blow them out? Are Twinkie cakes and only blowing out one candle at a time traditions in Utah?

Couldn’t figure how to post a link from my phone but just google mitt Romney Twinkie cake and there are videos of it posted everywhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 04:35AM

I wasn't aware of the Mormon connection before. I remember my very devout TBM sister making twinkie birthday cakes for her kids on about 3 or 4 different occasions. At the time, I just thought it was her own thing. It makes more sense now.

I think it may have been a trend that started among Mormons after I was out.

I remember thinking how funny it was that my devout TBM sister saw no problem with encouraging her kids to eat massive quantities of Twinkies, but would look at me with pity and disgust when I drank unsweetened black coffee or tea. The Mormon Word of Wisdom is so wise that it looks stupid. That's how wise it is.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:08AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wasn't aware of the Mormon connection before. I
> remember my very devout TBM sister making twinkie
> birthday cakes for her kids

Ah! How interesting. Haven’t even seen twinkies for years, didn’t even know they still existed. I wondered if it was an inside joke for him. But now I know it is a Mormon thing!

>
> I remember thinking how funny it was that my
> devout TBM sister saw no problem with encouraging
> her kids to eat massive quantities of Twinkies,
> but would look at me with pity and disgust when I
> drank unsweetened black coffee or tea. The Mormon
> Word of Wisdom is so wise that it looks stupid.
> That's how wise it is.

Yes . Sugar is very bad for the immune system and if you ever read the books from a couple years ago “Wheat Belly” or “Grain Brain” you will be disturbed by the WoW encouraging you to eat it. (The problem is that modern wheat has been totally genetically modified from its true form).

Thank you for the info!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 07:04AM

like he did and then blew them out is that he was ill and he didn't want to spread a bunch of germs by a big blow out. He likes Twinkies I guess, so that is why they used them.

I'm NO FAN of Romney.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:07AM

Right.

As weird as that looked, it was considerate.

I've seen people blow out the candles before and it looked like a regular inoculation of everything they had in their mouth onto the cake. Cringe!

One time a lady I know of had her upper dentures fall out.

I hope no one uses those trick candles that relight when trying to remove them like that and laying them down.

As usual, Mitt looked like his awkward stiff self. He likes Twinkies so his staff was being all thoughtful and all.

(Twinkies should be against the WoW since I don't think there is anything resembling food in them! ;-) )

If I blew out candles that way, everyone would be standing there for an hour with the number I would have to individually remove! In my case, have the fire extinguisher handy. Getting older is not for sissies.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:23AM

dagny Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> One time a lady I know of had her upper dentures
> fall out.

OMG!!!!!! I am speechless with horror!!!!!
>
> I hope no one uses those trick candles that
> relight when trying to remove them like that and
> laying them down.

Although that would have been funny!
>
> (Twinkies should be against the WoW since I don't
> think there is anything resembling food in them ;-) )

I just think of the movie “Zombieland” where Woody Harrelson’s character is searching the world after the apocalypse for twinkies and all he can find is those awful coconut snowballs!
>
> If I blew out candles that way, everyone would be
> standing there for an hour with the number I would
> have to individually remove! In my case, have the
> fire extinguisher handy. Getting older is not for
> sissies.

Ha! No germs from the fire retardant but scraping it off the frosting would be iffy!

I think they cut him a break on the number of candles.

Just thinking, can you imagine the booost to the church had he been elected???

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:24AM

When my mother turned 85, we got the hairbrained idea to put 85 candles on her sheetcake. It took two people with long lighters to light the things quickly. Well, when my mother took a big breath to blow them out, the flames seemed to merge into one big ball of flame and we thought we were going to catch her house on fire! Never will do THAT again!

Date: March 16, 2019 10:28AM

gemini Wrote:
> When my mother turned 85, we got the hairbrained
> idea to put 85 candles on her sheetcake. It took
> two people with long lighters to light the things
> quickly. Well, when my mother took a big breath
> to blow them out, the flames seemed to merge into
> one big ball of flame and we thought we were going
> to catch her house on fire! Never will do THAT
> again!

OMG another experience to rival Dag’s flying denture lady! Some hard experience here!!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 04:29PM

I found the picture of that adventure today! It was even worse than I remembered. We didn't put the candles on her sheet cake...nooo, we had two cakes and the one we used for 85 candles was a normal 2 layer chocolate cake. Now imagine putting 85 candles on top of that. Very small area. The picture of the merging fireball is something to behold. What I cannot figure out is that we are all laughing. I am sure that as soon as that picture was snapped, we were in panic mode as we realized the peril we were actually experiencing.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:14AM

cl2 Wrote:
> blew them out is that he was ill and he didn't want to spread a bunch of germs by a big blow out.

Oh my gosh your comment shows how long it’s been since I was at a birthday party with cake and candles! But since all 3 night show hosts Jimmy Kimmell, Fallon and the other one, apparently aired the clip and made fun of him taking out the candles that way, I guess there are a lot of people still being inconsiderate germ spreaders and blowing spit all over the tops of cakes!
>
> I'm NO FAN of Romney.

Me neither but I must say at least he was nice about the cake to his staff, and also not spreading germs to them!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:18AM

We still have Hostess products in Canada, Twinkies, Cupcakes and all. I no longer eat such things though, due to sugar issues.

I've never heard of a Twinkie cake though.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:26AM

Greyfort Wrote:
> We still have Hostess products in Canada,
> Twinkies, Cupcakes and all.

Interesting! The American South does not have them. We have similar junk called “little debbies”. Apparently Utah has them.
>
> I've never heard of a Twinkie cake though.

I wonder how they get them to stay upright?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 07:18AM

Given the Mormon appetite for sugar and fascination with all things sexual, an oblong roll with a cream filling is a natural building material for a cake.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:23AM

I don't think they taste the same. I don't eat a lot of them, but I eat more sugar than I should. I'm a sugaraholic. It is my addiction that I don't do well with even with type 2 diabetes, but my job at Sam's has brought my diabetes under control as I work pretty hard there. If I gave up my cupcakes and Peeps right now, I'd probably be close to off insulin.

It has been a long, long, long time since I had a cake to blow candles out on.

Mitt isn't so very young either!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 10:24AM by cl2.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:35AM

cl2 Wrote:
> If I gave up my cupcakes and Peeps right now, I'd probably be close to off insulin.

I join your approbation of cupcakes but please for goodness sake enlighten me about what possible appeal there is with this stretchy tasteless obscenely colored Peeps!!!

> It has been a long, long, long time since I had a cake to blow candles out on.

Now that you work at Sams you can use your employee discount and have them make one for you!!!:)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:45AM

cl2 Wrote:
> I'm a sugaraholic. It is my addiction that I don't
> do well with even with type 2 diabetes.

Same here. I understand totally. They brought out St. Patrick's day treats at work yesterday. If you put it in front of me, there's no way I can resist it. Back on track today though.

I don't take meds. I'm trying very hard to control my sugar with diet and very low carb eating. But it's really tough.

Date: March 16, 2019 12:08PM

Grayfort wrote:

> If you put it in front of me, there's no way I can resist it.

I can resist Peeps! At least there’s that!!! Maybe you too???

Back on track today though.

Yaaa!!! Hang in there!!! :). :). :)

Date: March 16, 2019 12:15PM

Well folks I have wasted a huge amount of time looking for a recipe for a Twinkie cake resembling this one. The net is disgustingly packed with recipes but none where they are standing up this way.

Usually they place them lying down and cover them with fruit and frosting.

So it looks like this cake is yet another Mormon secret!!!

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 12:33PM

When they brought back Twinkies they were new and improved. They're free range Twinkies.

Date: March 16, 2019 11:22PM

Razortooth Wrote:
> When they brought back Twinkies they were new and
> improved. They're free range Twinkies.

Good one!!!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 04:42PM

I sawIt on the news. They said he is germaphobic.

Date: March 17, 2019 12:01AM

bona dea Wrote:
> I sawIt on the news. They said he is germaphobic.

Thanks bona dea!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 05:05PM

I saw this on the news also. It looked to me as though there was a thick layer of frosting on the bottom of the serving plate in which the Twinkies were embedded, allowing them to stand upright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 05:06PM by cinda.

Date: March 16, 2019 11:30PM

cinda Wrote:
> I saw this on the news also. It looked to me as
> though there was a thick layer of frosting on the
> bottom of the serving plate in which the Twinkies
> were embedded, allowing them to stand upright.

Cinda,

Yes I think you are right. I wish I could see how it is cut. Because the depth of the frosting would have to be fair in order to provide structural integrity to the tall vertical pieces.

If they stand upright and lean against each other for support, once it is cut they might all fall down.

It somewhat reminds me of Stonehenge, this cake. Perhaps if they put it near a window it could predict the vernal equinox!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:54PM

Twinkies have 150 calories per cake, a 2x2 piece of sheet cake has 175 to 250 calories.

Portion control may be easier with Twinkies than a piece of cake, so only slightly less harmful.

Date: March 17, 2019 12:09AM

tumwater Wrote:
> Twinkies have 150 calories per cake, a 2x2 piece
> of sheet cake has 175 to 250 calories.
>
> Portion control may be easier with Twinkies than a
> piece of cake, so only slightly less harmful.

The YouTube video I watched demonstrating starting a Twinkie cake, looked like the portion control is exercised by the wrapppers whey come out of the box! Takes forever to unwrap each one.

But once someone took them out of their wrappers there are no further impediments to a gorge-a-thon. Although if one were counting calories and portion size, the single serve configuration would indeed be helpful!!! Thanks, Tum, good observation.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 12:24AM

Twinkie cakes not a Utah Mormon thing. Mitt hasn't been a Utah resident long. Maybe it's a Massachusetts or Michigan thing.

Date: March 17, 2019 10:47AM

abby Wrote:
> Twinkie cakes not a Utah Mormon thing. Mitt hasn't
> been a Utah resident long. Maybe it's a
> Massachusetts or Michigan thing.

Ah good point!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 08:15AM

Maybe the apocalypse already happened. It was marked by the great Twinkie shortage.

Date: March 17, 2019 10:50AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Maybe the apocalypse already happened. It was
> marked by the great Twinkie shortage.

Strangely enough I saw them here in the market yesterday not individually wrapped but sold in large boxes. So they’d been here all along and I never noticed.

Safe from the apocalypse this week anyway!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.