Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 11:08AM

Larger temple info pages often list "patron housing" as an amenity.

Who uses it? Members who've made a long journey and want to spend all day doing temple work? Or members who are essentially tourists who do one or two sessions a day in exchange for free lodging?

Reason I ask is that the schedule for the Rome temple shows only two weekday sessions, either two morning or two evening sessions. And patron housing is offered. It appears that a savvy saint could attend "all the daily sessions" (all two of them) and still have lots of time for sightseeing. Could one parlay patron housing into free lodging on a European trip, with careful planning?

I have heard of temple cafeterias that offer a free meal in exchange for doing two or three sessions. Is there a quid pro quo with patron housing as well?

[note: there are additional sessions for the first few weeks of the Rome temple's inaugural operations, but if you check weekdays a few months out, it decreases to just two a day on weekdays]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 11:11AM by PtLoma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 01:08PM

It is for patrons (interesting term) who have had to travel some distance. Say back in the older days when there were fewer temples in Europe.

I've advocated turning it into refuge housing along with closed MTC's.

No one has taken me up on it.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 01:51PM

First off, it's not free.

Nothing in TSCC is free.

I stayed in the one at the Los Angeles temple back in 1997ish. They charged us - it wasn't much, I think there was a min/max # of days or something which we didn't quite match, but they let us stay anyway. fuzzy memory.

We played tourist well enough and only did one session IIRC. The building looked and felt like Sing Sing prison, which incidentally became its nickname from that day forth.

But there is a charge and the accommodations are that of a youth hostel or MTC dorm.

Posted by: Monson Swanson ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 08:25PM

The accom is very cheap for what it is, really good value. The catch is that you have to do at least one endowment session per day and you have to hang around with LDS!

A lot of church members live nowhere near temples so they use it. It's also not to be confused with accom for temple workers and staff on site.

Date: March 21, 2019 09:59AM

Do you think there are significant numbers who use patron housing to organize low-cost tourism vacation (i.e. people who live near temples back home, but who do a session per day and otherwise sightsee)??

Posted by: SuperDell ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 10:37AM

So, if you start the session and withdraw at the "if anyone does not want to make the covenants they can leave" - do you still get to stay in the housing?

Date: March 23, 2019 05:46PM

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 10:50PM

PtLoma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://thirdhour.org/forums/topic/65295-paris-tem
> ple-patron-housing/
>
> Two ordinance sessions a day are expected.

I wonder if they'll be able to get robots to do them in the future. Oh wait...

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 10:49PM

whenever they want to take a vacation to Rome under the pretext that they need to take care of some "Church business" and conduct an "inspection" of the temple.

I remember hearing about Packer doing "inspection" runs at the DC temple, with everyone snapping to attention and polishing the lamps in the Celestial Room and cleaning the filthy "veil" curtains, as though a 5-star general was coming to inspect the troops.

I don't know if he stayed in patron housing. I'm sure his accommodations were comfortable wherever they were.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 04:26AM

I thought it was for ppl there for their Second Annointment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.