Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tall Hat in SLC ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 02:37PM

I get the feeling after observing the pictures of the Mormon leadership meeting with the pope, and the expression on the pope's face, that the Mormon leadership feels almost embarrassed for outing a temple in Rome.

When I say embarrassed I mean the same way some kid feels when he or she gets caught spray painting vulgarity on the side of a building.

In other words the Mormon leaders were let known that they have not only vandalized "Christianity" but that they left a piece of trash in Rome.

this is all based on the feeling I got after watching channel 5 coverage and looking at the faces of the Mormon leaders on
T.V.

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 02:55PM

I think Kathleen Madigan was really hitting the nail on the head in her standup routine about touring the Mormon Temple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32h9GnfRvA

At 1:50 of the above video, Madigan, after having been told that only Mormons can go into the temple, says something along the line of, "...Well, there's your first mistake. The Vatican charges $64 cash and they don't care who's in line..."

The visitor center at the Rome Temple certainly appears to be much more sumptuous than the visitor centers at the temples that bother to have one.

Plus I think it was a huge mistake to 'go modern' in Rome; they probably have flush toilets in the temple! Disgraceful!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 03:18PM

"...They have not only vandalized "Christianity" but that they left a piece of trash in Rome."

And those self-aggrandized arrogant idiots were there to rub the Catholics' face in it.

I don't think "vulgarity" is too strong a word.

Unfortunately, I think the Mormons had stars in their eyes, blinding them to what the rest of the world saw.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:00PM

Well heck, Mr. Wendy (oops, I mean Russ) gave the Pope a mini-Christus statue! Got it on sale at Deseret Book too!

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/03/09/pope-francis-latter-day/

[4th picture down]

Nelson: "This will fit right in with all the rest of your priceless art."

Ballard: "That's amazing! What is it? Can I pull its finger?"

Francis: "Yippee. NOW will you go away? I'm done here."

Mormons, tacky and gauche the world over since 1830.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 02:29PM

He met with Italy's government leadership and visited their Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but didn't bother stopping in at the Vatican.

"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" (Joseph Stalin)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 03:26PM

>"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" (Joseph Stalin)

Even the Stalinists don't believe he said that.

http://www.stalinsociety.org/2016/06/30/more-on-how-many-divisions-does-the-pope-have/

Now why there is a Stalin society of North America is another question.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 04:56PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now why there is a Stalin society of North America is another question.

According to their Mission Statement:
"The Stalin Society’s aim and purpose is to engage the American and Canadian public with an end to countering anti-Stalin myths and propaganda...."

I didn't know much about Stalin so a quick Wikipedia search:

"Stalin's: totalitarian government has been widely condemned for overseeing mass repressions, ethnic cleansing, deportations, hundreds of thousands of executions, and famines which killed millions."

But hey, he didn't bash the POPE!!! THAT was Napoleon!!!

Yeah, right....

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 06:19PM

The pope should have given Wendy a Vatican snow globe in return.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 11:37PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> The pope should have given Wendy a Vatican snow
> globe in return.

Haha!! Oh man that's too funny!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 06:10PM

I don't understand why the 15 are making such a big deal about building their temple in Rome where the Catholic church, aka the "whore of all the earth" got its start. Why does LDS Inc. think that Rome is such a holy place when the only thing that makes it holy is the Catholic church?

Jesus was never in Rome. He was in Israel, which is quite a distance from Rome. The Mormon church teaches that after Jesus was crucified the true church died with him. He turned his back on his followers, withdrawing the priesthood and "gift of the holy ghost. Those poor early Christians in Rome had to fend for themselves and were often persecuted trying to keep Christianity alive even though they didn't have the priesthood "authority" necessary to continue Jesus' true church. So why is Rome such a holy place when Jesus and his true church were never there? Is it because of all those whorish Catholic cathedrals?

If it weren't for the early followers of Christ and the Catholic church there would be no Christianity and no Mormon church. I'm not trying to put the Catholic church on a pedestal, but they were able to become organized enough during the worst of times (fall of Rome, dark ages) to keep christianity going so the Mormons could one day build a temple in Rome and tell the Catholics their church is not true and also a whore.

So now the 15 smugly pose in front of a temple they built, thanks to the "great and abominable" Catholic church who made it all possible. Mormons should be embarrassed.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 11:43PM

When Constantine saw the persecution of the Christians wouldn't end their religion he decided if you can't beat them co-opt them. He made Christianity the state religion and then of course at Nicea they decided what kind of scripture the church was going to have and the mingled their version of Christianity with the old pagan ways of Rome. The result was the Roman Catholic (universal) Church.

I have been to Rome and the Vatican several times and was always fascinated by the history there. I see the Vatican as the remains of the Roman Empire and I see the catholic church as a part of the Vatican. I think there are parts of the Vatican that are still pagan but use the cloak of Christ for public relations purposes. I question whether the current pope is even a true believing christian. The Vatican is about power and money. It's a government and it has a state religion.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 25, 2019 10:35AM

Rubicon Wrote:
> He made
> Christianity the state religion and then of course
> at Nicea they decided what kind of scripture the
> church was going to have and the mingled their
> version of Christianity with the old pagan ways of
> Rome.

Just as an aside, you might want to know that the Council of Nicea had nothing to do with deciding the canon of scripture. It's an oft-repeated falsehood so I understand your citing of it, however, if you examine the matter, you will find that it is a most patently FALSE claim.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 25, 2019 12:09AM

Heartbroken wrote in part:

"I'm not trying to put the
Catholic church on a pedestal, but they were able to become organized enough during the worst of times (fall of Rome, dark ages) to keep christianity going
so the Mormons could one day build a temple in Rome and tell the Catholics their church is not true and also a whore."

I used to agree with you on the first part of this sentence. However, as I've grown older, I've come to believe that the Catholic Church was very much involved in the destruction of Rome. Keep in mind that the groups that sacked Rome (Goths, Visigoths) were themselves converted Christians. I now would argue that the Roman Church saved only those parts of Roman civilization that were advantageous to the Roman Catholic Church.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 25, 2019 10:25AM

As a Catholic nevermo from NY attending BYU in the late 1970's, I was gobsmacked the first time I heard a Pope/Prophet...Mormon/Catholic....Salt Lake/Rome joke. As someone growing up in a place where Catholics were the majority (but I knew members of just about every other faith, except Mormonism, as well), I had never heard any such jokes!....NEVER!!! Mormonism was not even a blip on the radar as far as any Catholic I had ever known was concerned (and this was one of the largest Catholic dioceses in the country).

Clearly, Mormons were obsessed with Catholics and we didn't even know they existed.

Honestly, not much has changed in these past 40+ years. So it's rather laughable that the Mormons pin so much on trying to impress others with their snuggling up to the Catholic church.

They are obsessed with it and the rest of us are like, "so what!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.