Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 02:41PM

I love that coffee drinking can be my guilty pleasure that I get to enjoy and my judgmental brainwashed relatives and acquaintances don't. I also love that my coffee pot pisses them off, the wonderful smell of brewing coffee in my house makes them wish their house smelled that way and my get togethers with my coffee buddies are social niceties they will never understand. I want them to stay out of my world. I stay out of theirs. I don't cry cause I can't get into their holy movie theater.

I don't want them to be looked at as less crazy than they are. I don't want to have to quit laughing at how they blindly follow an extremely old geezer and can't think for themselves about how screwed up their supposed "health code" is. But most of all, I don't want to have to share Starbucks with them. Stay away. It's MY holy place and I don't want you there!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:16PM

THEY ALREADY DID!

A FP SM letter in the mid 70's said that de-caf is OK.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:21PM

My Mom only joined the church because de-caf coffee was permitted. I grew up with the aroma of Sanka until the church (stake pres) cracked down on its use in the early 80s.

Date: March 22, 2019 04:26PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Mom only joined the church because de-caf
> coffee was permitted. I grew up with the aroma of
> Sanka until the church (stake pres) cracked down
> on its use in the early 80s.

WOE to that SP, he wasn't following GA / FP directions-instructions! HERESY I SAY!!!

Posted by: NNT (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:22PM

De-caf isn't coffee. Coffee and alcohol abstinence was such a distinguishing feature of Mormonism. The value for the Mo's was not health but in group vs out group simplifiers. Go to a conference anywhere in the world and there is a good chance the white dude not drinking coffee is a mormon.

Date: March 22, 2019 04:27PM

isn't the main ingredient of de-caf Directly (from) coffee beans?

ReallY now... com'on.

Posted by: NNT (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:34PM

Yes, minus the one thing that most people are trying to get from drinking the coffee. I mean if de-caf is equal to regular coffee than water is just milk without the animal protein.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 08:38PM

De-caf has some caffeine in it, it's not totally caffeine free.

"In practice, however, decaf coffee can have more than 4.5 milligrams of caffeine. While most decaffeinated coffees have only a small amount of caffeine, some have a lot more than would be expected. According to the Mayo Clinic, the amount of caffeine in decaf coffee can range anywhere from 2 to 25 milligrams."

https://driftaway.coffee/does-decaf-have-any-caffeine-at-all/?amp

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 09:07PM

NNT (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, minus the one thing that most people are
> trying to get from drinking the coffee. I mean if
> de-caf is equal to regular coffee than water is
> just milk without the animal protein.

Reasoned as only an exmo would reason. Not everyone who enjoys coffee does so for the caffeine. Ditto for tea. There are plenty of us who enjoy a cup of decaf every bit as much as we do regular.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:40PM

"I don't want them to be looked at as less crazy than they are."

Amen to every word, lachesis.

Go to the temple and do a session and leave our coffee alone.

Besides, everyone knows coffee is a gateway drug to wine and next they'll be using that for sacrament like the Catholics now that they think they are in the same league.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:44PM

Mormons reject decaf, because it is the "appearance of evil". Others (all those interested others who are watching the good example of the Mormons) might mistakenly think the person is drinking real coffee.

I agree with Lachesis. I think the Mormons would still stay away from our "territory". The Mormons reject the coffee lifestyle. They reject Starbuck's and other coffee places. They hate the atmosphere, and conversations and meet-ups and camaraderie, and the idea of meeting for coffee. Maybe the Mormons think we're plotting something. Maybe they don't like not being in charge of what people are drinking and saying. The Mormons like to have all the attention. Mormons resent and fear "freedoms" of any kind. The same applies to bars. Mormons can go in there any time they want, and order something non-alcoholic, but they feel too uncomfortable in there.

Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 11:13PM

"appearance of evil" ???

i had a bishop that cooked with "cooking wine" and wasn't worried about the appearance of evil.

didn't julia child cook with wine? oh, that's right, she wasn't cooking with wine, she was drinking it while she was cooking. she got some of the recipes from betty cooker's crock book.

she had a good show and was fun to watch. nice lady.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:59PM

Yet Postum was ok?

I'm going with the avoiding the appearance of evil thought.

How is hot chocolate ok?

Hot drinks are bad?

I'm so glad that I don't have to twist my mind anymore.

Date: March 22, 2019 08:34PM

Postum is just not the same, is it?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 05:47PM

The REAL STORY of the FP / SM ltr is how utterly arbitrary the Mormon teachings are, from Even the Lord's First & Highest General Authorities.

Here Today, GONE TOMORROW :)

Date: March 22, 2019 08:33PM

All the goopy sugar in hot cocoa made me sick to my tummy.

While a nice frothy cup of hot joe in the morning is just what I need to get and keep me going. Or a cup of English Breakfast tea, or Chai.

True, I require some stevia and skim milk in my brew, but it doesn't get much better than this.

Date: March 22, 2019 09:16PM

^^^^^ That's what I like (love?) about Amyjo so much, she has a way of cutting thru the fog & getting to the real stuff in any/all threads;

Good Going, GOLD STAR TO YOU!

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 01:32AM

About 2 years ago my TBM sister and I went through the Starbucks drive through together...they were doing a buy one get one deal. So we each got a drink (I got a fully leaded Latte of course), and we picked up drinks for our TBM parents. My sister ordered super sugary hot chocolate type drinks for the 3 of them...I think it was a chocolate caramel latte without the coffee (not even decaf). The baristas thought she was nuts. Anyway, we brought the 'hot' drinks over to my parents house and I've never seen my mom guzzle a beverage so fast. It's like she wanted it because it was free (due to my purchase), but couldn't bear the appearance of evil...drinking from a Starbucks cup...in her own home, no less! Downing a sugary concoction that fast would have burned my mouth and given me Montezuma's revenge. Yet...my parents openly cook with wine when they do French cooking. The mental gymnastics they must do make my brain hurt.

Edited to add: even if TSSC ever gave the green light on coffee, people like my parent's (in their 70's) would not be able to just start drinking it. They are wayyyy too brainwashed. Same goes for garmies. I don't think they'd ever take them off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2019 01:34AM by bluebutterfly.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 02:30AM

IMHO they have already accepted coffee/tea. My step-mother openly drinks coffee, in small town Utah, with her Bishop and Stake President knowing, and she still has a temple recommend. She was told by both the Bishop and SP that coffee is not grounds for denying a temple recommend. The rumor is this has been more common in Utah over the past few years. To me it seems like a quiet acceptance of coffee/tea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.