Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 04:56PM

From GC:

"I feel to say to my reticent friends, 'In this life, you've never settled for second best in anything! Yet, you resist fully embracing The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ(TM)! You are choosing to settle for second best!'

"The Savior(TM) said, 'In my Father's house are many mansions!' (clenched fists pumped slightly for emphasis)

"However, as you choose not to make covenants with God(TM), you are settling for a most meager roof over your head for all eternity."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdiqPupArsE

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 05:02PM

I want to hear about Rusty's master job at converting and baptizing all his fellow and respected cardiologists. You know, his peers that think he's all that and a bag of chips. I would like to see him address them about settling for 2nd best in the afterlife.

I wonder how many of them would poke him in the nose for telling them how to live their lives.

Date: April 09, 2019 05:08PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to hear about Rusty's master job at
> converting and baptizing all his fellow and
> respected cardiologists. You know, his peers that
> think he's all that and a bag of chips. I would
> like to see him address them about settling for
> 2nd best in the afterlife.

Brilliant!

If the world ever wondered, 'Is Mormon just about status and stuff and keeping up with the Joneses?'

Rusty says: YES!

Date: April 09, 2019 05:12PM

Sick how they mock this man.

Sick how Rusty offers his 'dear friend' up for mockery at GC, no less.

Sick how Mormons mock all who cannot hack it. While they secretly cannot hack it.

Sick that 'dear friend' who loved his wife is offered as a 'DON'T' all because his love for his wife and grief made him vulnerable to a predator asshole named Russell M. Nelson.

It is better for one's life to NOT have Mormons as friends. Want a true friend without an agenda? Hit up the bar. Hit up a gym. Don't be an asshole.

Never trust a Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 05:12PM by carameldreams.

Date: April 09, 2019 05:07PM

Onward:

"One such a dear friend of mine had limited experiences with God. But he longed to be with his departed wife. So, he asked me to help him!" (hands on chest indicating Rusty is #1 for emphasis)

"I encouraged him to meet with our missionaries in order to understand the doctrine of Christ(TM), and learn of gospel covenants, ordinances, and blessings. That, he did!"

"But he felt the course they advised would require him to make too many changes in his life. He said, 'Those commandments and covenants are just too difficult for me! Also, I can't possibly pay tithing! And, I don't have time to serve in the church!'

"Then, he asked me: 'Once I die, please do the necessary temple work for my wife and me so we can be together again!'

(Audience/Saints laughter)

"Thankfully, I'm not this man's judge." (Nelson chuckles)

(Audience/Saints laughter)

"But I do question the efficacy of proxy temple work for a man who had the opportunity to be baptized in this life, to be ordained for the priesthood, receive temple blessings while here in mortality...But, who made the *conscious decision* to reject that course."

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 05:27PM

Does anyone possibly believe this story? And if true...who tells insider conversations between friends to millions of people so they can be laughed at?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 11:25PM

How would your average non-Mormon even know about temple proxy work for the dead?

What really happened: An acquaintance of Rusty's was widowed. Rusty, taking advantage of a vulnerable moment, sent the missionaries to visit him. The acquaintance politely endured the missionaries' visit, and then turned them away, saying, "Oh HECK no." Rusty embroidered the rest.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 10:11AM

summer Wrote:
> How would your average non-Mormon even know about
> temple proxy work for the dead?

Yes, I didn't know about it for maybe 6 months after beginning attendance. Agree, this story is made up totally.

Bobofitz,

Agree. Holding up people for ridicule, or making up stories, either way, someone who does this is a scumbag.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 01:27AM

Wait!

Mormon believe they'll be judged by the apostles and profits of thier generation. The Booknof Mormon said the 12 Nephite disciples would judge the Nephites and the 12 apostles of Christ would judge all mankind.

So Rusty is an apostle and doesn't understand he'll be a judge?

Do these guys even study mormon doctrine?

Date: April 10, 2019 08:03PM

Heartless Wrote:
> Wait!
>
> Mormon believe they'll be judged by the apostles
> and profits of thier generation. The Booknof
> Mormon said the 12 Nephite disciples would judge
> the Nephites and the 12 apostles of Christ would
> judge all mankind.
>
> So Rusty is an apostle and doesn't understand
> he'll be a judge?
>
> Do these guys even study mormon doctrine?

Excellent insights.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 04:18AM

carameldreams Wrote:
> Onward:
>
> "One such a dear friend of mine had limited
> experiences with God. But he longed to be with
> his departed wife. So, he asked me to help him!"
> (hands on chest indicating Rusty is #1 for
> emphasis)

Yeah, right! What kind of person who doesn't believe in Mormonism would think that Rusty would be in a position to do anything about it? At the most (if there's any underlying truth in the story at all), the dear friend would have thought that Nelson, being a religious leader, was the kind of religious leader who would give some general words of comfort about how we will be reunited with loved ones in heaven...and was probably surprised when Nelson turned out to be the other kind of religious leader--the kind that wants your money and your blind obedience.

> "I encouraged him to meet with our missionaries in
> order to understand the doctrine of Christ(TM),
> and learn of gospel covenants, ordinances, and
> blessings. That, he did!"
>
> "But he felt the course they advised would require
> him to make too many changes in his life. He
> said, 'Those commandments and covenants are just
> too difficult for me! Also, I can't possibly pay
> tithing! And, I don't have time to serve in the
> church!'

THIS also sounds totally bogus. Nobody (at least almost nobody) would say those kinds of things if they really believed that these tasks were true requirements revealed by God. Someone might say something like that if they knew that they were just phony hoop-jumping exercises demanded by a phony religion. It seems highly likely that Nelson just made this crap up.

> "Then, he asked me: 'Once I die, please do the
> necessary temple work for my wife and me so we can
> be together again!'
>
> (Audience/Saints laughter)
>
> "Thankfully, I'm not this man's judge." (Nelson
> chuckles)
>
> (Audience/Saints laughter)
>
> "But I do question the efficacy of proxy temple
> work for a man who had the opportunity to be
> baptized in this life, to be ordained for the
> priesthood, receive temple blessings while here in
> mortality...But, who made the *conscious decision*
> to reject that course."

It's all a joke! I question the efficacy of literally EVERYTHING that is done in the temple. Proxy temple work doesn't even make sense. It's based on an idiotic misunderstanding of principal-agent relationships and a ridiculously legalistic approach to "salvation" that would make the Pharisees turn purple with envy.

It's like thinking that a terminally-ill person can be executed for and on behalf of some other guy who has been convicted of murder and the "proxy work" done by the terminally-ill patient in getting shot in the head instead of the convicted murderer makes everything okay...because...PROXY! It's so stupid it's painful.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 06:57PM

A meager roof for *all eternity*? Well, no. You have all eternity to make some damn fine home improvements. I think that with a couple trillion years, you can build a pretty good mansion.

It's so easy to poke holes in mormon dogma. TBMs are simply unable to think past it. There's no fool like an old fool, and Russ is a very old fool.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 06:58PM

But I already thought that. Second best, huh? He's just afraid if those who are active mormon tried out not being mormon for a while, they'd all leave. It's so much better on the outside.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 07:00PM

"So, no matter what we do in this life, they are going to do our temple work after we die, so why do we need to be active mormon in this life?"

Yes, what's the point, Rusty? Why do our temple work after we die if we will end up with second best?

It is all so ridiculous.

All I wanted was to be with my family and I don't worry about that anymore. IF there is an afterlife, I do believe I'll be with those I love. Love has to play a part in life and in whatever there might be if there is an afterlife. What's the point then?

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 07:03PM

I hope the mansions for TBMs and little shacks for EXmo's is just a metaphor. If I was a TBM I would hate to think I put in all that work and ass kissing for a stupid house, with the righteous (rich) on the hill and Exmos (poor) in shacks on the other side of the tracks.

What a myopic stupid view.

Date: April 09, 2019 07:38PM

delbertlstapley Wrote:
> I hope the mansions for TBMs and little shacks for
> EXmo's is just a metaphor.

Doubt it. Jesus said so (mansions) and Rusty isn't playin'.

The audience (TBMs, predominantly) are LAUGHING. 2x.

They are happy to think they put in all the work and are rewarded as QUALIFIED members their due rewards.

It is not a loving religion.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 11:44PM

Give me an hour with my family, laughing, talking, seeing, feeling, enjoying the moment and my life will more complete than one hundred thousand hours of so-called gospel worshipping.

The LDS church is an empty straw, a nothing burger, a sickly group of nothingness.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 11:53PM

PREMIUM RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES IN A GATED COMMUNITY located in....located in....drum roll....another dimension that you cannot see now and cannot inspect before committing to pay the purchase price.

According to PPSR Nelson, the Seller of these beautiful mansions is a guy named Jesus Christ. But you can't visit or talk with the Seller directly. You can only communicate through the real estate agency that PPSR Nelson is currently the CEO of.

You can't even get floor plans or see pictures. You just have to trust the real estate agency when they tell you that all of the units being offered by Jesus Christ are really deluxe, luxury, first-rate residential properties.

And here's the kicker. You have to pay the full price up front, sight unseen. (Payable in easy installments comprising (i) 10% of everything you ever earn or receive as a gift DURING YOUR ENTIRE LIFE; (ii) 80% to 95% of your free time DURING YOUR ENTIRE LIFE; and (iii) 100% of your ability to think independently DURING YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.

Honestly, this sounds worse than one of those Nigerian e-mail scams. What kind of suckers fall for this nonsense?

1. Nigerian e-mail scams

2. Florida swampland.

3. The Brooklyn Bridge.

4. Invisible mansions located in another dimension being sold by a real estate agent who has actually never personally seen any of the properties he is selling and cannot even show you pictures.

Suckers are suckers. But if I had to rank them, I would have to say that the suckers who buy product number 4 (in the list above) are the biggest suckers of all.

carameldreams Wrote:
> From GC:
>
> "I feel to say to my reticent friends, 'In this
> life, you've never settled for second best in
> anything! Yet, you resist fully embracing The
> Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ(TM)! You are
> choosing to settle for second best!'
>
> "The Savior(TM) said, 'In my Father's house are
> many mansions!' (clenched fists pumped slightly
> for emphasis)
>
> "However, as you choose not to make covenants with
> God(TM), you are settling for a most meager roof
> over your head for all eternity."
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdiqPupArsE

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 10:17AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> PREMIUM RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES IN A GATED
> COMMUNITY located in....located in....drum
> roll....another dimension

Snicker. I like the way you think, Walls.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 10:22AM

Realistically, I doubt Rusty has many friends outside of his church bubble. He hasn't been an active member in his professional community since 1984 or 1985. They are told to hang up their personal endeavors when called to work full time for the church. I think his entire story is BS. It was custom-imagined for his talk.

Who is he targeting?

Get TBM parents/grandparents to get their children/grandchildren back into church activity.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 10:26AM

"It was custom-imagined for his talk."

Custom-imagined! I love a new way to say "lying for the lord,' and, in this case it means he is lying for himself as he imagines himself to be the Lord, clearly.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 11:44AM

This is a lie. Rusty has no nonmormon friends.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 01:16PM

Skid row is better than a mansion if you are stuck living with Russ and Wendy.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 03:46PM

I've read many discussions of the translation of Aramaic and/or Greek into biblical use as "mansions", and Rusty doesn't know the half of it...

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 03:25AM

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it.

I knew people from Japan who claimed they had "mansions" that were really apartments.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 05:54PM

Dear President Nelson,

“The first shall be last, and the last first.” —Jesus Christ.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 11:50PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 07:37PM

this concept doesn't compute

Date: April 10, 2019 08:06PM

A meager roof for all eternity.

You mean, like a manger?

Rusty: No! Not at all like a manger.

You mean, like Jesus? He was basically homeless.

Rusty: No! Not like that! The Lord always blesses those in this life who are obedience to their covenants and ordinances.

You mean, like when Jesus and his family and friends could not afford his tomb? Like, they would totally have to beg for money online and social media to bury the Savior! Ew!

Rusty: No! Not like that at all!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 08:09PM by carameldreams.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 10:51AM

Who wants to live in a giant mansion with a too-quiet, stuffy interior like a high-end Marriott hotel?

Not me. I prefer a smaller place with a lived-in look--books, bicycle gear and hiking boots scattered about--with my animals and my *gasp* gay family hanging out eating pizza.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 12:57PM

Are you jealous much, Rusty? The leadership are all stuck in prisons of their own making; I'll take a "meager" roof over a celestial prison anytime.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.