Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bruce R. McDonkie ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 12:42PM

Why is "sex" a taboo subject for ex-Mormons? Why can't it be discussed?

Why is any and ALL criticism (no matter how slight) about the behavior of Mormon women "taboo" on Recovery from Mormonism? Are they, like the Brethren, "beyond" criticism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 12:59PM

Sex is not a taboo subject, nor are Mormon women immune from criticism.

But tales of incest, using sex to get ahead in the word, liking to be raped, intentionally spreading herpes. Really?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:12PM

This is a PG-13ish board.

Adult topics are allowed, and can be necessary given that this is a recovery board....but aside from some acceptable humor, the tone generally needs to be serious rather than salacious, and misogyny/misogynistic statements are not allowed.

There IS a line of acceptability (which includes respect for both genders in general), and if a particular thread or post goes over that line, then the thread or post will be removed.

Posted by: Bruce R. McDonkie ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:13PM

So, NO, one CANNOT criticize the behavior of Mormon or ex-Mormon women, or women in general. Nor gays. Nor blacks. Only straight white males can be criticized.

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a PG-13ish board.
>
> Adult topics are allowed, and can be necessary
> given that this is a recovery board....but aside
> from some acceptable humor, the tone generally
> needs to be serious rather than salacious, and
> misogyny/misogynistic statements are not allowed.
>
>
> There IS a line of acceptability (which includes
> respect for both genders in general), and if a
> particular thread or post goes over that line,
> then the thread or post will be removed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:18PM

You can criticize individuals. I'm a bisexual white man. You choose to criticize me for that and you I hope will be taken to task.

Taking a huge brush and painting everyone with your biases isn't right. Try Pollock.

Date: April 29, 2019 01:27PM

I doubt the veracity of the stories.

This poster, in his various incarnations, would have us believe that he knows dozens of Mormon and ex-Mormon women who divulge their deepest, darkest, incestuous secrets to him. Child abuse, incest, abusive behavior all occur: they just don't all occur with stunning regularity within the ambit of a single man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2019 01:27PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 07:25PM

+14,000

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 04:25PM

Down off the cross, big guy. We need the wood.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 07:25PM

+ 14,000

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:26PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 01:17PM

I don't think it's sex that is outlawed. I believe it is being crass, rude, crude, or acting outside the boundaries of the lowest socially acceptable behavior that are taboo here if I'm not mistaken.

Date: April 29, 2019 01:25PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> I don't think it's sex that is outlawed. I
> believe it is being crass, rude, crude, or acting
> outside the boundaries of the lowest socially
> acceptable behavior that are taboo here if I'm not
> mistaken.

This is correct.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 04:48AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:23PM

Perhaps you've brought up subjects and been shot down? That can happen. I'd suggest you try again.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 06:26PM

You have missed what is really going on. but you get some credit (from me) for trying to address the issue, enjoy that credit because it is probably all that you will get.

Certain people on here can say all kinds of stupid things, sex related and other stuff. It is basically NOT allowed to question the stupid stuff they say. They are allowed to insult anyone who does not go along with what they say. They are allowed to endlessly insult anyone who does manage in some way to question what they have said. Their ability to act so freely is OBVIOUSLY not based on content. It is based on favoritism. IE They are chummy with some of the administrators.

Several years ago, there was an especially privileged and nasty and prolific duo on this board. They must have gotten bored with this board, and then chose to do something else. They have not been around for a while. They were certainly impressed with them selves, then. At the time, they could endlessly dish out a lot of low quality commentary .....which is actually (QUITE) acceptable, if not necessarily desirable ... for others.

However, they also felt completely entitled to skeptically/ critically review and question things that others had said and they did so to a large extent, which is something else completely different beyond the previously mentioned deal of just stating your own feelings and letting that ride. Their (nasty) reviews were also typically done with their same low / groundless "quality". even though they were tremendously impressed with what they had said. the tiniest bit of actual analytics could have helped their cause, but they had nothing in that regard.

Worst of all, and most problematic, they could NOT and would not tolerate much of any critical response to their horrendously wide swath of actions, especially their very gratuitous and baseless assertions, compound especially those aimed at others.

At one time, as one part of the duo expressed his very MORmON style sentiment, I responded with the suggestion that given what he had said, it would be better for him to return to MORmON church rather than to be here. Normally I refrain from giving advice, but it this instance it was entirely appropriate and quite well suited to the situation. All Hell broke out over my suggestion. And the administration's (who ever it really was in admin) favor for him and then both of them, heavily worked to his/ their benefit, while heavily working against me.

To clarify, I do not have an agenda to pull people away from THE (MORmON) church. In contrast, Perhaps....apparently (Obviously) RFM does. My agenda is to display MORmONISM as retarded with facts, and then to let people follow their own path accordingly. As far as I am concerned, MORmON church is a great place for real MORmONS to be, especially as I will NOT be there. As well, I firmly believe that anyone who can be "loved out" can be loved right back in, and I do NOT want to be around such fantasy based and feeling based people.

Later on, the same person that I had responded to on this issue then posted again, this particular time he stated his deep personal longings and fondness for the good old days of MORmON fellowship and the great sustaining fervor of believing that was at good old MORmON meetings. "IF ONLY, It would have been true! ...I wish it was true" He said. and then mentioned his fondness and longing for that MORmON arrangement as it had worked for him.

......sounds like a real MORmON at heart to me !!!! Sounds like the foundations of MORmON testimony are STILL in place !!!!

MORmONISM runs on fantasy and pretension anyway, so IF that fantasy and pretending was "really" that great (for any one person), then do NOT pretend be an ex MORmON, IF that person is going to pretend then pretend that MORmONISM is true !!!! WHich is what I have said all along, about anyone. I am not going to be friends with that delusion person either!!!

I noted and copied that mentioned post, along with what I had previously said, and subsequent on goings which was all forwarded to admin.

After the documentation, there was NO concession to me from admin. There was NO apology from admin to me. even though on other occasions Admin had demanded that I contact them and do other things to suit them ......and their pals, as well as some one in Admin deleting extensive amounts of my posts .....that nailed their pals to the wall, often time while snotty posts from their pals remained.

There was No concession to me on the issue even as the matter went full circle and ended up in the way that I had asserted as the sentiments that I had stated were then found to explicitly flow from the mouth of the very person who had taken so much offense from the same sentiment as it came from some one else, and then the entire recaptured scenario was presented back to admin in their own black and white writing from off of the board.

....but even with out concession or admission from admin, I still know how some one in admin had acted anyway!!!!!

and that person in admin SHOULD have done better.

ANd there was no further chance to shove what the poster had said right back into his snotty face where it really REALLY belonged. AFTER ALL, HE HAD SAID IT !!! in one form or another, and I just acknowledged what he had really said. HOWEVER, when he said such things it was *somehow* OK and just peachy !!!! but when I had said he should just go back to church to suit himself, and that he still sounded so much like a MORmON, so much like he had spoken, *somehow* THAT was NOT OK.

.....good luck......

at least Admin does not tell you that you have to post here or you will go to Hell !!

Date: May 15, 2019 01:22AM

topping

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 09:22AM

Women in TSCC have been oppressed by men as authoritarian figures for far too long. They *say* they are *equal* but separate. They cannot be unless they have equal powers to hold ie, priesthood (and men hold RS callings, like that'll be the day!)

Once the man speaks, the female is supposed to capitulate. If the female is not married then she is supposed to listen to the nearest *worthy* priesthood holder in her sphere of influence. Be it family member, ward leader, stake leader, leading all the way up to temple square.

That is balderdash and poppycock.

Women have their own voices. We are empowered to speak for ourselves. We do not need a pipeline to hear the still small voice speaking to our inner spirit when we say our prayers at night seeking wisdom and divine guidance.

We certainly do not get it from those who do not have our best interests at heart. And that includes bishops, brothers, stake leaders, who are more concerned with their image than they are the welfare of those they are supposed to be "shepherding."

Even if they "think they know what's best for someone else" doesn't make it so. A legally competent adult has to make their own way in the world. And that includes women. Women need to stand up and be counted as independent and autonomous.

We are empowered. Mormon women count too. If they don't like what they are seeing when they look in the mirror, they can do something about it. They do not need to take abuse from the men in their lives.

I think Bruce R McDonkie has it backwards. It is the Mormon men who are above any and all criticism, and their wives follow their lead. That makes them more insulated from the world, and they exist inside a tunnel vacuum.

There's a difference between self-confidence and over-confidence, and an inflated ego. A person needs to have adequate self-confidence to get by in the world and to feel successful like they are making a difference and feel good about themselves. Whereas over-confidence, is overkill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 10:04AM by Amyjo.

Date: May 15, 2019 03:39PM

Amyjo Wrote:

> I think Bruce R McDonkie has it backwards. It is
> the Mormon men who are above any and all
> criticism, and their wives follow their lead.

and to think that I have been criticizing MORmON males like crazy, especially those in leadership positions, especially over their MORmON act of being such spineless bitches where they relying on back stabbing passive aggressive behavior so much, supposedly taking a stand when they are really just opportunistically exploiting for their own advantage any person or group that is notably vulnerable and /or unable to react to their actions.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 06:47PM

Passive aggression is the only tool in the mormon toolbox.

Date: May 15, 2019 07:53PM

Rather than the overtly bitchy dogs or doggy bitches?

I hear ya!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 08:00PM

Good one! And done without reference to a single relative! Keep up the good work!

Date: May 15, 2019 08:16PM

Excellent response, Smirkorama.

You pinned the tail on the donkey!

:)

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 08:04PM

Because they think they are better than men. I have three Mormon females in my family that berate the men nonstop, and two are turning into hardcore feminists. And they don't understand why people call them (women) B and C words. Just saying.

Date: May 15, 2019 08:31PM

nolongerangry Wrote:
> Because they think they are better than men. I
> have three Mormon females in my family that berate
> the men nonstop, and two are turning into hardcore
> feminists. And they don't understand why people
> call them (women) B and C words. Just saying.

Serious question:

What is a "hardcore feminist"?

[In other words, how is a regular, everyday, woman-next-door "feminist" differentiated from a "hardcore feminist?]

Date: May 15, 2019 08:38PM

I think the differentiating factor is whether they do Pilates.

Date: May 15, 2019 08:45PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I think the differentiating factor is whether they
> do Pilates.

:D

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:06PM

here back in the good (bad?) old days when you could get away with saying almost anything. And I said almost anything. The rules here may even have evolved due to people like me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.